British paper critiized for battered by Autistic son article

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 7:24 pm

The Guardian article in question "I fear my 14 year old son will kill me one day"

I Fear for My Fellow Autistic People: On Media Misrepresentation by Kit Mead

First of all the neither the mother nor the paper mentined fillicide. Many of us are justifyably upset with the burden, and violent stereotypes as well fillicide excuse making that goes on in the media. The Guardian has not been guilty of this. Which leads us to the story in question. The circumstantes and issues brought up by the article do happen with "severe autism" the words the mother used. In order to get action what happens in some of these cases needs to be accuratly described. Where the mother and paper went wrong was in not using alternate names which is a common media practice. The autistic person had his troubles publicized probably without his consent. I do not know the age of the brother or if any consent was given but his feelings are something he will most likely deeply regret when he gets older and now it is out on the internet forever.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 4:07 pm

I wonder how else are people supposed to spread violent kid awareness if they don't report it? It's always been reported and people still turn a blind eye. That boggles my mind. How should media report this if the kid happens to be autistic? Should they leave out their disability? Normally the media likes to mention their background like if they were abused, adopted, neglected, bullied, lonely, etc. and they even mention disability.

I think people often forget about this child here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szcsT3pOuBw

She wasn't autistic, she had RAD and she was abused as a toddler which made her that way. But she grew up to be a fine adult thanks to treatment she was given as a child at 6 and a half and she recovered from RAD but her adoptive parents had to renounce their adoption because it was the only way they could give her help after they had tried everything and normal parent would do. The girl displayed sociopathic behavior and killed and tortured animals and terrorized her younger brother and wanting to hurt him. And people still turn a blind eye to how dangerous a kid can be no matter how little they are? With adopted children, you can just give them up if they are too violent and you fear them but if they are your bio child, you're screwed. It's very difficult to hospitalize a child today or to institutionalize them.

But yet a Ohio couple got charged with child abandonment for leaving their adoptive son at social services and only got six months in jail and a fine while a mother was able to send her adopted kid back to Russia and didn't face any charges. This seems pretty common among parents when the kid is dangerous and they fear their lives and even their other kids fear them. But it only happens with adopted children because I still have yet to hear about parents doing this to their bio kids. Actually one has. Look up Tom and Janice Colella. Tommy's real mother gave him up at five years old because of his sociopathic behavior and the mother was too poor to afford treatment. But the adopted parents fled their home because they feared him so much and it was after he had been hospitalized but he was still threatening them to kill them and their child so they fled and remained hidden. They also tried everything to help him too but his problems also kept being trivialized by social services and the adoption agency. The boy was also abused by his stepfather so the bio mom fled him with her kids once he started to abuse her and her kids but the bio mom reported her son showed strange behavior as an infant so hard to say if the abuse made him that way or if the abuse was the trigger for that gene but he also had FAS the articles say so that indicates the mom drank while she was pregnant.

There was another story in the media about a bio mom dumping her 15 year old off at a hospital and leaving her there using the Safe Haven Law which was meant to protect newborns but they had a loophole in the law because of the wya it was written. The mom did it because it was the only way to give her help after the state had failed her after she had been trying for years to get her help. It sounded like the teen had ODD and conduct. I heard other parents were driving across the US to that state to do the same thing so it makes me think their teens have to be violent and so out of control the parents had gotten desperate. Still no one has opened their eyes to any of this? I feel like I am the only one who has.

But yet I have heard that some kids to get removed from their homes because of their uncontrollable behavior so why doesn't this happen more often with kids who are abusive? Is it due to foster care shortages?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 11:29 am

League_Girl wrote:
But yet I have heard that some kids to get removed from their homes because of their uncontrollable behavior so why doesn't this happen more often with kids who are abusive? Is it due to foster care shortages?

Removing a kid from a home is a drastic step. It certainly sounds like this family needs an intervention from the authorities, but in general they don't like to take kids out. Personally I think it should happen more often but I'm told it more often does more harm than good. These cases are often very difficult with no clear option