Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 8:25 am

Scientific American: Timing Is Key to Understanding Sensory and Social Issues in Autism People with autism tend to integrate auditory and visual information over longer windows of time (08/16)

Quote:
Perception of peripersonal space, the area immediately surrounding our bodies, is built upon the integration of auditory, proprioceptive, tactile and visual inputs. People with autism may differ from typical individuals in their perception of this space. We are investigating whether the unusual integration of multisensory information in autism contributes to this perceptual difference, which could, in turn, underpin some of the social weaknesses in autism.

Studies on the integration of sensory input also provide important clues to the brain networks altered in autism. They suggest that the major nodes for the convergence of sensory information — for instance, the superior temporal cortex and intraparietal cortex — may be critical to making sense of your surroundings on a moment-to-moment basis.

I found this article interesting. I don't agree with their ideas of treatment, but the description of sensory processing in autistic people sounded plausible to me.