Page 6 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 6:56 pm

When a person is "naïve," all that means is that he/she is not schooled in "the ways of the world." It does not mean a person is intellectually weak.

I am relatively "naïve" for a person of my age.

I see the term "naïve" as an impetus to learn more about how to live in this world.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 8:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When a person is "naïve," all that means is that he/she is not schooled in "the ways of the world." It does not mean a person is intellectually weak.

I am relatively "naïve" for a person of my age.

I see the term "naïve" as an impetus to learn more about how to live in this world.

na·ive
nīˈēv/Submit
adjective
(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.

If someone is saying I lack wisdom or judgment, they might as well call me stupid or dumb. That's the way I see it even if you don't, Mr. K. AND they better not tell me that I'm NAIVE in my political views. It's a passive - aggressive way of talking down to someone.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 8:41 pm

I don't find you "naïve" in your political views at all.

I just think you've to certain conclusions based upon what you've experienced in life.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 12:36 am

It's the euphemism treadmill. Moron used to be a medical term too.

Recently I've heard "learning disability" being used as a medical term. I guess that means that term will fall out of favour with the medical community and be replaced with another term.

Anyway, here's a cringeworthy video of Barbra Streisand showing how people once used "ret*d".

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 1:45 am

I don't have a problem with the word. But I'm from the UK and it's not really a word we use much. The first time I ever heard it was in Quantum Leap and Sam jumped into a young man with learning difficulties.

I guess all insults hurt.

My Glaswegian friend taught me a good Scottish word. Glaikit.

I think that's a more socially acceptable thing to say.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/caledonianmercury.com/2011/06/13/useful-scots-word-glaikit/0021157/amp?client=ms-android-h3g-gb

Or are we just meant to pretend no one ever does anything stupid now? Are sjws telling us we just have to pretend everyone is always clever and sensible.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 3:13 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It's the euphemism treadmill. Moron used to be a medical term too.

Recently I've heard "learning disability" being used as a medical term. I guess that means that term will fall out of favour with the medical community and be replaced with another term.

Anyway, here's a cringeworthy video of Barbra Streisand showing how people once used "ret*d".

What was cringeworthy was how she used her song "people who need people" not her trying to help people and using language based on what was understood at the time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2017, 2:07 am

Yes, the word does bother me no-end. I grew up with that word my whole life.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 12:18 am

hurtloam wrote:
Or are we just meant to pretend no one ever does anything stupid now? Are skeletons telling us we just have to pretend everyone is always clever and sensible.

well, probably not....they have their own words for such people which many of us are all too familiar with.

RetroGamer87 wrote:

seems too sterile to be used as an insult IMO, but you never know.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 10:54 am

I hated that song, "People who need people." They are NOT the luckiest people by a long shot. Being overly dependent is not a sign of good fortune.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 10:59 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I hated that song, "People who need people." They are NOT the luckiest people by a long shot. Being overly dependent is not a sign of good fortune.

LOL! we all know who the song is referring to when they say "people"

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

It is a word that means slow.

Language always provides non-literal, abstract ways to precisely express one's ideas. If we politicize a word, its meaning morphs. "ret*d" changed from a general adjective to talk about something that was moving, but at a slower speed, to label and segregate human cognition, to a weapon. When we PC a word, it increases its power as a weapon.

The most successful campaigns I am aware of to disarm weaponized vocabulary is the group affected embraces the word: queer (odd), first a general word, then a pejorative, then replaced with gay, now the umbrella term for talking about sexual diversity in a civil manner. "Black" was embraced because segment of humans, although we are all shades of brown, denigrated on the abstract feature.

It was used, like gay, to replace a word that is still such a powerful weapon of hate, that if I wrote it, I would be sanctioned 8O I pray for the day when this "old" "white" "lady" (all politicized words) can talk about my friends and family with "n-word" and no one thinks its bad because no one thinks badly of people stereotyped by it, and the pain caused by this weapon has healed.

But as long as the world is inhabited by humans, we will have haters. As long as we have haters, words will be weaponized. All we can do is embrace them proudly.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

ret*d means slow. ret*d has pretty much always been a pejorative. If people want to reappropriate that word into something positive I would be for that effort.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 3:44 pm

IstominFan wrote:

I hated it because it is a bad song - now its in my head, damn it!!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:46 pm

Awiddershinlife wrote:
IstominFan wrote:

I hated it because it is a bad song - now its in my head, damn it!!

I never did like that song.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 5:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ret*d means slow. ret*d has pretty much always been a pejorative. If people want to reappropriate that word into something positive I would be for that effort.

But that's silly. Why should we change the meaning of existing words. That's like going through the dictionary and scoring out words we don't like.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2017, 8:25 pm

hurtloam wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

But that's silly. Why should we change the meaning of existing words. That's like going through the dictionary and scoring out words we don't like.

Every generation changes the vocabulary. And the older generation has been complaining about it for thousands years or so. Language is very fluid.