Page 4 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 8:33 pm

I just think that people who use the word are being sort of caricatured as mean, careless, or immature NTs or stuff like that. And I'm sure a lot of people who use that word are careless and mean. But even though a lot of people use it, most are overall well-meaning people. Do you really look down that way on a good majority of the Earth's population?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 9:40 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Do you really look down that way on a good majority of the Earth's population?

I wouldn't say "look down" but I recognise that the majority of our fellow humans are ignorant. Ignorance is cured with education.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 10:48 pm

As a verb it's fine.

As an insult (e.g. That's so ret*d) I don't like it. It's using a disability as an insult, which I take issue with.

As an insult towards intellectually disabled people, it's absolutely despicable.

As a technical term to describe a disability, it still bothers me but not as much. I suppose it should be up to the individual intellectually disabled person to decide how they would like to be referred to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 11:05 pm

TheAP wrote:
As a verb it's fine.

It's a "fine" line between pleasure and pain...so give me an example where it's appropriate?

Do you mean in civil engineering works where you have "retarding basins"
or in psychiatry papers where a child has an IQ classifying them as "ret*d" ?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 12:44 am

any instance where "ret*d" is used to mean "impede, slow, or block" with regards to an inanimate object is fine by me, and i think that's what TheAP is hinting at.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 11:04 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
any instance where "ret*d" is used to mean "impede, slow, or block" with regards to an inanimate object is fine by me, and i think that's what TheAP is hinting at.

Yeah. I once read the word used insultingly as a verb in a book, and I don't mean that that's okay. I mean when it's used in a technical sense, as in "flame retardant".

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

TheAP wrote:
Yeah. I once read the word used insultingly as a verb in a book, and I don't mean that that's okay. I mean when it's used in a technical sense, as in "flame retardant".

In your opinion, would Intra-Uterine Growth Retardation be okay?

It's now called Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction, by the way.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

248RPA wrote:
TheAP wrote:

In your opinion, would Intra-Uterine Growth Retardation be okay?

It's now called Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction, by the way.

I don't see a problem with it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 12:19 am

i don't even know what that's referring to.

does "unhinged" have any mental/behavioral health connotations, or backgorund? there's a couple people i know who otherwise fit that description cleanly.

:evil:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:28 am

I find it offensive.

Auroras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2016, 8:27 am

I don't like it, in any context. I don't exactly get offended but I feel like the word has been used in so many ugly ways throughout the years that there's no way it could sound neutral anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 8:30 am

If somebody calls me that, I get in fightin' mode.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 2:23 am

Auroras wrote:
I don't like it, in any context. I don't exactly get offended but I feel like the word has been used in so many ugly ways throughout the years that there's no way it could sound neutral anymore.

yeah.

personally, it sometimes takes a conscious effort to block out all the recent, associated negativity when you see one of the instances where its being used for its original meaning.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Draxironos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2016, 2:48 am

While you could argue that this is the result of desensitization, I personally don't care enough to complain about its use, or even see anything necessarily objectionable about it. Is it possibly an insensitive way to express strong feelings that one could find other ways of letting out? I guess. However, I find that life is a lot easier when you don't take harsh words to heart. Not saying that everyone is that stone-hearted or even should be that way, but a little stoicism goes a long way. If someone insults you, prove them wrong with your actions, at the very least by punching back. Where I live, if someone calls you a ret*d, chances are there's already a fight, so might as well defend yourself. And whether or not actually mentally challenged people are offended by its use, well, it's not my place to get offended on the behalf of others.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 10:03 am

I have to check too many people on that note including my own parents. Although we already know that ignorance knows no age at this point.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 11:59 pm

Aspinator wrote:
To me it is a trigger word. It is the same as calling a female a bxxxx or a black person a nxxxxxx. The word cannot be used in a polite way and is meant as a derogatory term. I have been referred to a rxxxxx too many times and it is a word that shows distain and how the recipient is less of a human being and is not worthy of being part of the human race.

I also see it that way. That's why I don't like that word.