Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:27 pm

I am not that materialistic. I want to know if Autistics are less materialistic than neurotypicals?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:31 pm

I am not materialistic at all. I still have a simple pay as you go phone. I am not interested in brand clothing or anything like that.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2018, 4:11 pm

Yes. So long as I have enough money to live without debt I'm fine.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 8:07 am

As long as I have internet, anime and my games I'm good :p

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 11:57 pm

I am fairly materialistic in some ways at least. My possessions (books, games, DVDs, CDs, figurines, phptpos that I cherish, and other things of affectionate value), matter to me a lot. They are close to indistinguishable from my interests and special interests and precious memories. They matter only less that family and pets.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 4:13 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I am fairly materialistic in some ways at least. My possessions (books, games, DVDs, CDs, figurines, phptpos that I cherish, and other things of affectionate value), matter to me a lot. They are close to indistinguishable from my interests and special interests and precious memories. They matter only less that family and pets.

I actually have a collection of anime, games, figures, and things as well. Right now I'm between a rock, a hard place, and gun point just about in terms of having to get rid of stuff and that's very difficult because while I don't have friends, not close with family or anything, my stuff is literally all I have.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 7:47 pm

I’ve only cared about possessions related to my special interests rather than the typical NT materialistic pursuits such as a big house or fancy car.

grindfish
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

I've wondered this myself, as i find i can't engage the same value or attachment to things in the same way my wife does.
For example, she would value buying new cloths or a phone case off ebay as some kind of self maintenance/emotional reward, where as i don't acquire things in the same way or pertain the same value. I think i more value the industrial achievement of something rather than the social perceived aesthetic or desirability of something.

Another example, those Pandora bracelets, my wife was really into them years ago, even though the price didn't really represent the value of the object, but that was acceptable in her mind and i always found it difficult to accept, even though its something she valued and that it would be a positive gesture to gift her something shed value for a special occasion (another thing i struggle with, "special occasions") but i would struggle with every cell in my body to accept this as it just appeared as substandard molded metal at an inflated price to me. Is it the sentimentality of materialism that i don't understand? Because i value my technology, especially music gear, and i love my adidas tracksuits, but none of these material acquirement are driven by any kind of sentimental value or ego satisfying conquest. I cant get with that.

Perhaps thats a common thread, the inability to identify with objects at an emotional abstraction. And at the same time, i sometime express a greater connection to objects than is normal, but for different reasons, like purely the engagement with great industrial design and function. Personally i think Autism does not negate emotion or materialism but rather the definition of those aspects are lensed in such away that they bypass social and cultural identification.

Such an interesting observation though, how do you classify such interactions when your interpretive functions are so alien?

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:52 pm

My collections of books, media, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and automobilia would suggest otherwise.