Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 11:49 pm

'Welcome to The Good Hospital... where everyone is on the spectrum': Fury as Channel 10 runs 'highly offensive' comedy sketch mocking people with autism

Quote:
Network Ten's Pilot Week is already off to a worrisome start after comedy show Skit Happens sent viewers into a fury on Sunday night over an 'offensive' and 'cheap' sketch mocking people with autism.

The controversial sketch parodied American TV drama The Good Doctor, which centres around an autistic surgeon with savant syndrome, played by actor Freddie Highmore.

'From the makers of The Good Doctor comes The Good Hospital... where everyone is on the spectrum,' a male voice-over announced

Throughout the sketch, the actors imitated behaviours associated with some people on the autism spectrum in an operating theatre scene.

Enraged fans took to Twitter on Sunday night to express their disappointment.

Channel Ten shouldn't have aired [the] offensive Skit Happens that only seeks to further the stigma autistic people experience,' Amaze tweeted.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 8:56 am

Yeah, I admit they became a little offensive that time.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 7:44 pm

That's so messed up x_x

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 1:27 pm

That was painful to watch. Especially when the surgeons all started going "Beep! Beep!" and acting like robots when the patient flatlined at the end.

Yet another case of broad stereotyping and implications that autistic people are mentally defective and trapped in their own world. If anyone needs me I'll be huddled in a corner and weeping for the world. :cry: