Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 9:09 pm

THIS IS NICHOLAS Documentary maker living with Asperger’s Syndrome turns the cameras onto his most interesting subject yet – himself

Quote:
A DOCUMENTARY maker living with Asperger’s Syndrome has turned the cameras onto his most interesting subject yet – himself.

Despite the challenges of being on the autism spectrum, Nicholas Ryan-Purcell has managed to carve out a successful career in film.

The 28-year-old already has a slew of honours to his name, including winning two gongs at the Hollywood International Independent Documentary Awards for his film on the champion racehorse Gordon Lord Byron.

And he’s now set to make waves with his latest work: This is Nicholas – Living With Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The documentary, which he produced, shot and edited himself, provides a vivid insight into life with Asperger’s.

In it, the Tipperary man also speaks openly about his battle with depression and the “critical inner voice” which haunted him constantly.

Featuring contributions from his parents Oliver and Dorothy and sister Joanna, as well as his former teachers and mentors, it shows everyday events posed a massive challenge because of his condition.

Like many people with Asperger’s, he developed echolalia or repetitive speech, explaining: “I often spoke as if I was a record player that got stuck, saying the same thing over and over.”

He overcame this through speech therapy and eventually flourished in the local school where he felt a sense of safety in the daily routine.

He said: “If something happened out of the blue or spontaneously, I became extremely frightened and extremely panicked because I wasn’t prepared for that particular situation.”

As well as a passion for trains, Nicholas developed a love of cameras and made his first documentary when he was just 14.

After completing his Leaving Cert, he went to college in Ballyfermot and graduated in 2012 with a Higher National Diploma in Television Operations and Production.

When he couldn’t find a job, the enterprising young filmmaker set up his own company producing corporate videos for people.

It was a clever move and he has gone on to produce several award-winning films.

His most recent work has already been premiered at the NYC Mental Health Film Festival in Manhattan.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman