Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 5:29 pm

It is not that because they have no facts but how they skew them. It seems a little gender biases against men as well as anti-spectrum in the guise of "help". Am I tasting their flavor wrong?

I am an Aspie parent with spectrum children.
The negative aspects they bang loud about, were seen more in my "normal" ex-husband than myself (granted he is likely on spectrum or suffering another more serious condition. His family has many mental disorders DXd. Mine... only Aspergers in my maternal side).

The site attitude is almost like throwback to refrigerator parent = full Autism kinda logic? And they seem to suggest that having an Aspie parent is doom for kids and they should be given to "normal". It also portrays family and caregiver in spectrum events as victims. The whole site just gave me a weird vibe. Am I just mistranslating it?

(BTW I stumbled on it looking for information about parents in spectrum)

https://www.theneurotypical.com/about_us.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:27 pm

I think you interpreted the site correctly.

Reading through the site one would think we are all deficits without any redeeming features at all.

It is the refrigerator mother theory turned around. The refrigerator mother theory posits that cold, uncaring parenting causes autism. This site claims it is the not fully human Aspie kids that cause all sorts of traumas and mental illness in the parents.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

Yes, I've seen it before. It's a terrible website.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 6:02 pm

Ew gross. On their "About Autism" page it links to a bunch of articles about how all school shooters and serial killers are autistic. Yeah, that's not a subtle anti-autism bias. That site is disgusting, it's not better than that "Heartless Asperger's" one made by that crazy woman who used to be married to some guy that she is convinced is autistic and that's why he was basically Satan or something like that. She even invented a disorder for people who are "abused" by being in a relationship with an autistic person, called "Samantha Syndrome" or something stupid like that. These people who make these sorts of hate-group sites are all wack-jobs.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2018, 9:52 pm

It's obvious a lot of the writers loathe the traits we tend to represent, and then some additional ones many of us do not.

Seems familiar enough to me. Reminds me of middle school. A lot of people here on WP can tell tales of isolation, rejection, ostracism. It marked them for life. No wonder we're often weird as adults. I readily admit I was "weird" then, at least by the standards defined by the dominant social stratum. I'm sure I'm just as weird now, but I cloak it quite a bit better.

Yet many times I feel people who have PTSD over us like the authors who create such sites miss some of the inner, earnest sweetness of Aspies. Of course I know to look for it when I have a conversation with other Aspies. Certainly I'm better able to recognize them, being one myself. Never found I could develop a deeper friendship with another Aspie, because I haven't found one yet whose "special interest" really aligns with mine, but I have had many satisfying interactions with other Aspies. Yet it's easy to see why some NT's hate us. There are lots of reasons. I'd hope that they could be kinder about it, while making that choice.

Perhaps the joke on some of those writers is that they may not realize the NT's they prefer are much better at masking their impressions and actual opinions. For an Aspie, it's often ask-me-no-questions-and-I'll-tell-you-no-lies. For an NT, it can be, well, what kind of person do you want me to be? Then one of the NT's finds out that the other NT thought she was a doofus all along, and gets hurt by that. It's like the difference, between talking to a New Yorker (direct) and someone from Minneapolis (beats around the bush).

But hey, I understand we can be an "acquired taste." On the other hand, people who hate a little too much maybe need some additional explanation.

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm sorry that I'll never be able to become a professional bullshitter. Sorry.