Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 9:32 pm

Hi Folks,

Below is a link to a PBS documentary I appear in, "Aging with Autism". It's broadcast as part of the "Catalyst" series. I'm very high-functioning and I'm actually aging better than most neurotypical people, but many autistics have increasing challenges with age. The documentary examines current research and profiles three of us. My name is Rob Behr and I am identified in the video as "Rob". I'm not the least bit sensitive about my autism, nor anything in the video, so feel free to comment and ask questions.

https://video.azpbs.org/video/aging-with-autism-vgxeee/

Regards,
Rob

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 4:14 am

It was an interesting video. I am 64 and struggling a bit with cognitive demands as I have begun to be a caregiver for a partner with dementia. My strategy has been to simplify as much as possible, and so far, that is working well. I definitely feel, though, that I am losing some mental function, a little at a time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 5:16 am

I want to thank you and everybody involved with making this program. There is a definite need for this research.

I do worry about the combination of aging and autism. The process has started in the last few years for me with serious physical problems. Severe physical issues do often affect one’s cognition. Most of the time there is a “new normal” after a major operation, one does not get back completly to the way one was.

When my physical problems started I was petrified I would react differently to medications then NT’s but so far I have not noticed anything. Now that my physical issues are fairly obvoius to others people do give me more leeway presuming my atypical reactions are a result of my physical issues I guess. The one area autism has presented issues is with regaining functions and abilities. I have figured out ways to do things in my new normal that works for me that others are incapable of understanding. They can not understand why doing things my way makes me happy.

I do worry about stress from being different causing the normal aging declines to be more intense and rapid, that what NT medical personal will expect me to do with conditions I won’t do, that being able to communicate what is wrong which is difficult for me normal circumstances becoming impossible.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 6:11 am

"We are experiencing technical difficulties that are preventing us from playing the video at this time. Please check back again soon."

Any youtube/vimeo or other link?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 7:33 am

Thanks! I just watched it.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 7:55 pm

Ichinin wrote:
"We are experiencing technical difficulties that are preventing us from playing the video at this time. Please check back again soon."

Any youtube/vimeo or other link?

I don't see any alternate feeds. Can you try with a different browser?

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2019, 8:57 pm

Is there just this one episode or is this a whole series?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting this link. I hope your house building project goes well.

With autism prevalence at 1 in 60 or somewhere around that number, I'm baffled and dismayed that adults with autism almost don't seem to exist to the general public. I hope research like you're participating in will help change that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 9:58 pm

I've already made my house handicapped accessible. I replaced the door knobs with levers. And it only takes a few minutes for my next door neighbor to lift the bathroom door off the hinges or to put it back. I've already gotten rid of that threshold that makes it harder for a wheelchair.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:16 am

Rob:

I was wondering if you received an apology from the woman who thought you were stalking her?

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 11:07 am

Magna wrote:
Rob:

I was wondering if you received an apology from the woman who thought you were stalking her?

No apology for me. She did give somewhat of an apology to the police. This happened at Leaf Verde RV Resort in Tonopah, Arizona. The manager of the resort decided to let the couple stay and, in a followup conversation, she clearly sympathized with them and could see how the wife would find my presence offensive and her husband would want to hit me. However, the manager is a little Hitler and she truly enjoys degrading people. Like some autistics, I can see raw emotions, even if I can't see non-verbal communication. The manager found satisfaction in what I was subjected to.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 11:11 am

pasty wrote:
Is there just this one episode or is this a whole series?

"Catalyst" is a series that generally covers academic research topics that have some impact on society, so autism is just one subject. If the autism episode gets good reviews, they have expressed some interest in doing followup shows. I hope so!