Hundreds of cans of Spaghetti-O's sent to Autistic girl

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:10 am

CBS News Video
She only eats Spaghetti-O's. When the pandemic hit there were no supplies so when this story appeared in the local paper the residents chipped in. See they don't all hate us.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:44 am

Does she have to take supplements in addition?....not trying to talk trash on people helping with this. But I just can't imagine spaghetti-Os being the sole source of nutrition for someone. I get autistic sensitivities and maybe it really is all she can eat but I suppose I would hope she is also at least getting some supplements to make up for what she is missing out on from such a restricted diet.

Like I cannot imagine feeding someone soley spaghetti-ohs and that's it...that is severely unhealthy so if that really is what her diet is limited to, she should for sure also be getting nutrition supplement to make up for it, you don't have to eat the supplements they come in pills. I even have trouble eating so I am not saying this as just some outside jerk. I get maybe she really does have issues regarding a lot of food's but she is going to need more than spaghettios to remain healthy.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Yesterday, 5:25 pm

Encouraging people to be a picky eater isn't helping. It hurts people by delaying their progress on overcoming their mental issues and leads to more avoidance of problems. She needs a parent who can teach her to be strong and face her fears so she can get over it.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:30 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
Encouraging people to be a picky eater isn't helping. It hurts people by delaying their progress on overcoming their mental issues and leads to more avoidance of problems. She needs a parent who can teach her to be strong and face her fears so she can get over it.

Having sensitivities isn't the same as having mental disorders or fear and picky eater shaming helps nobody.

That said, her diet sounds incredibly restrictive. Hopefully her parents can find more than just this that she likes. For eg, why she doesn't like other stuff? What's with the texture that she doesn't like?

Cos this diet doesn't sound healthy.

I'm sensory sensitive to food but I can eat far more food than this. I can basically eat all plain food or acidic food.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:40 pm

It may not be about sensory sensitivities but about a need for routine. But since I am just guessing and know nothing more about her then her diet I am not going to give advice about a cure/treatment.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Yesterday, 6:02 pm

KT67 wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

Having sensitivities isn't the same as having mental disorders or fear and picky eater shaming helps nobody.

That said, her diet sounds incredibly restrictive. Hopefully her parents can find more than just this that she likes. For eg, why she doesn't like other stuff? What's with the texture that she doesn't like?

Cos this diet doesn't sound healthy.

I'm sensory sensitive to food but I can eat far more food than this. I can basically eat all plain food or acidic food.

You think she's sensitive to everything except Spaghetti-O's? How likely do you think it is that she tried hundreds of foods and was sensitive to all but one of them?

I used to be a picky eater too who was afraid to try new foods. Good parents challenge their kids to help them get over their issues so they can get better, not cater to them. Catering to a child's issues without doing anything to help her overcome them is neglect. Instead of sending Spaghetti-O's, they should be sending books on parenting.