Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 2:36 am

Vice

Quote:
Osime Brown, a severely autistic man from Dudley in the West Midlands, arrived in the UK from Jamaica at just four years old. In 2017, at the age of 18, he was sentenced to five years in prison for the theft of a mobile phone. He now faces potential deportation to the country he hasn’t been to since he was a child.

Brown was charged under the joint enterprise law, wherein a person can be found guilty of a crime that they failed to stop, rather than for directly committing the crime.

The act has not only been found to disproportionately target Black men, but also people with learning difficulties. The law rests on the assumption that parties present to a crime fully comprehend how an incident will play out – something that may not be true for some people with autism and other learning difficulties, such as Brown.

With a charge longer than 24 months, Brown’s indefinite leave to remain has been automatically revoked. The Home Office understands his imminent deportation to be “conducive to the public good”, as defined by the 2007 UK Borders Act.

With no friends or family in Jamaica, and no recollection of his time there, Brown is to be transferred from prison to an as yet unconfirmed immigration detention facility on the 7th of October, and then deported to the island.

Since his arrival in the prison system, both Mr Hall and Brown’s mother have noted that his pre-existing mental health disorders have worsened. In a recent assessment, Brown wrote, “I am worried about the voices in my head. Also my mental state.” His arms are now covered in both fresh and ageing scars from self-harm, and he has been labelled a suicide risk.

He was also told to “f**k off and self-harm, you self harmer”, according to his mother, who adds that Brown takes statements at face value, and so in that instance self-harmed, believing he had been instructed to do so. He has also been called racial slurs by prison officers.

A spokesperson from The Ministry of Justice said: “We do not recognise these allegations and all prisoners have access to healthcare when they require it.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 7:32 am

I’m surprised by this 5 years for steeling a phone!

We have quite soft sentences in the UK compared to US.

Unless violence is used it’s unlikely such a crime would get you anything over a suspended sentence or a few months jail time at most.

I think there is more to it or miss reported.

- George Bernie Shaw

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 7:38 am

The lack of compassion in this case is shocking.
I'm glad it's getting some public attention.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 7:49 am

carlos55 wrote:
I’m surprised by this 5 years for steeling a phone!  We have quite soft sentences in the UK compared to US.  Unless violence is used it’s unlikely such a crime would get you anything over a suspended sentence or a few months jail time at most.  I think there is more to it or miss reported.
Dudley is a large industrialised market town and administrative centre in the county of West Midlands, England, 6 miles (9.7 km) south-east of Wolverhampton and 10.5 miles (16.9 km) north-west of Birmingham.

This is happening in the UK, not the US.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 7:51 am

MrsPeel wrote:
The lack of compassion in this case is shocking.  I'm glad it's getting some public attention.
Do the crime, do the time.

Autism is not a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 8:02 am

He hardly committed a serious crime.
Apparently he was with a group who stole a phone, and he actually tried to talk them out if it.
How is that a more serious crime than sending an autistic teenager to a country he doesn't know, with no family or support?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 8:12 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Thank you for sharing.
MrsPeel wrote:
Apparently he was with a group who stole a phone, and he actually tried to talk them out if it.
Shared guilt does not diminish personal guilt.
MrsPeel wrote:
How is that a more serious crime than sending an autistic teenager to a country he doesn't know, with no family or support?
He is being deported by the UK authorities for being in the UK illegally.  His crime is only incidental to the case, and his alleged autism even more so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 12:58 am

A tad harsh Fnord? I think the severity of his autism should be taken into account as from what I understand there is no family for him in Jamaica so he will end up being locked up or institutionalised over there. I hope his mother will do the right thing and go with him.

Theft of a phone isn't exactly a capital crime but perhaps his mother should also be held responsible and recompense the victim and take steps to watch her son.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 2:51 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Witnesses had confirmed that he had tried to stop his friends from stealing the phone yet he still got sentenced? Why are so many people in power so stone hearted? That's worse than when people get charged with murder because they break in to a house and the homeowner shoots and kills your friend. Fnord, you are being way too harsh.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:03 am

Fnord wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
Shared guilt does not diminish personal guilt.

What personal guilt? Deporting him seems to be a horrific over-reaction given his tangential connection.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 7:26 am

Fnord wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
I’m surprised by this 5 years for steeling a phone!  We have quite soft sentences in the UK compared to US.  Unless violence is used it’s unlikely such a crime would get you anything over a suspended sentence or a few months jail time at most.  I think there is more to it or miss reported.
Dudley is a large industrialised market town and administrative centre in the county of West Midlands, England, 6 miles (9.7 km) south-east of Wolverhampton and 10.5 miles (16.9 km) north-west of Birmingham.

Yes I know I live in the UK and it doesn’t make sense.

Nobody gets 5 years for stealing an iPhone. Robbery with violence maybe not a £500 phone.

We would have a million + people in jail right now if stealing something for a few hundred pounds landed you in jail.

Burgulars and muggers don’t get 5 years, that’s why I said there must be more to it or they are keeping him in jail because of his autism with no where else to care for him, or being an illegal immigrant.

- George Bernie Shaw

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 11:43 am

carlos55 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Yes I know I live in the UK and it doesn’t make sense.

Nobody gets 5 years for stealing an iPhone. Robbery with violence maybe not a £500 phone.

We would have a million + people in jail right now if stealing something for a few hundred pounds landed you in jail.

Burgulars and muggers don’t get 5 years, that’s why I said there must be more to it or they are keeping him in jail because of his autism with no where else to care for him, or being an illegal immigrant.

There doesn't actually have to be more to it even though you don't wish to believe there couldn't be.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 8:37 pm

Quote:

The deportation of an autistic black man is an indictment of the UK’s racist justice system

The Guardian, Opinion

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ck-jamaica

“ . . Because of the UK’s controversial and discriminatory joint enterprise law, Brown was convicted and imprisoned in 2018 after he observed a phone theft in the street, even though other witnesses said he explicitly asked the people who stole the phone to stop. . ”

So, it sounds like a street robbery. He did ask his “friends” to stop, which I think is higher than normal behavior for any 19-year-old, whether on the spectrum or not!

Prosecutors like to get their numbers up.

All the same, if they’re going to use something like a “joint enterprise law,” they kind of need to use some tact and skill in using it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 7:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Vice
Quote:
Osime Brown, a severely autistic man from Dudley in the West Midlands, arrived in the UK from Jamaica at just four years old. In 2017, at the age of 18, he was sentenced to five years in prison for the theft of a mobile phone. He now faces potential deportation to the country he hasn’t been to since he was a child.

Brown was charged under the joint enterprise law, wherein a person can be found guilty of a crime that they failed to stop, rather than for directly committing the crime.

And just how is a "severely autistic" person supposed to be able to stop another person from committing a crime???