Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 5:58 am

Low standards corrode quality of popular autism therapy

Quote:
When Terra Vance took a course to become a registered behavior technician (RBT) in 2015, she was trying to transition from a career as a teacher to one as a psychologist. To get the supervised hours she needed for her psychology license, she had taken a job working with mentally ill adults for a company in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Instead, her employer told her the company had a backlog of autistic children and wanted her to help with that caseload. The employer paid for her to get the RBT certification, which would qualify her to deliver what many researchers consider the gold-standard autism therapy, applied behavior analysis (ABA), under supervision to these children.

Vance completed the online course — a series of videos followed by quizzes from a company called Relias — over a weekend. She was intent on learning the material, she says, but found out later that other students cut corners, letting the videos play while they did other things and looking up quiz answers on their phones. It was easy to pass: If you failed a quiz, you could just re-watch the video and take it again.

Vance had spent 14 years teaching English to middle- and high-school students, and she had developed a reputation for helping autistic students. (She was diagnosed with autism herself in 2017.) But when she started accompanying another RBT on home visits, she felt unprepared, she says. Extra training she received from her employer — on privacy, patient rights and restraint training — did not add to her confidence. No one taught her how to change diapers or adequately manage aggression, she says, which she would have found more useful.

Vance also quickly became skeptical of the kind of therapy she was being trained to deliver.

The sprawling industry that has coalesced around ABA is causing frustration for many — technicians, clients and experts alike. Plenty of therapists in a wide range of settings, including schools, homes and clinics, do ABA well, and plenty of studies support its value, says Zachary Warren, a clinical psychologist at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. But ABA’s worth depends greatly on who is delivering it. And as autism diagnoses and demand for ABA have risen over the past decade, how to ensure people are qualified to deliver the therapy effectively has become a point of contention.

And it’s not just the credentials that have come under scrutiny. On-the-job coaching and supervision are supposed to make up for gaps in the training, but some RBTs find that the agencies they work for do not provide much of either.

Yet, critics say, the agencies that hire RBTs often rely on a vast pool of undertrained labor. These businesses collectively train and employ tens of thousands of RBTs to work with children. “It’s being treated as a money grab in many places,” Bailey says. He estimates that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of these companies in the United States. Some are profitable enough that they have become popular buys for private equity firms.

ABA can take various forms, including the Early Start Denver Model and pivotal response treatment. Its general aim is to teach language, social and other skills by breaking them down into small parts, often with rewards and a sense of fun worked in to boost motivation. Although scientific support for the method is not rock solid, studies stretching back for decades indicate that, when done well, ABA can facilitate learning and improve social communication, minimize challenging and self-injurious behaviors and improve daily functioning in people with autism, intellectual disability and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, among other conditions.

Anecdotal reports of success abound, too.

The majority of therapists are not abusive. Many are just not taught to adjust ABA to an individual child, which is critical to the method’s success. Part of the problem is that most RBT training courses teach formulaic, child-unfriendly techniques, as if delivering ABA were like following a recipe, Leaf says.

Autistic adults who had ABA as children have criticized the therapy for forcing them to act in ways that made them uncomfortable, for pathologizing their neurodiversity and for being too scripted, inflexible and robotic.

Questions about qualifications have long been an issue for the field.

Alongside the credentialing efforts, the field has quickly grown in popularity, buoyed by a rise in autism prevalence. In the U.S., the ranks of BCBAs grew from fewer than 400 in 2000 to 16,000 in 2014, three-quarters of them working with autistic people, according to certification board data. By 2017, the board had anointed more than 34,000 RBTs worldwide. By October 2020, almost 83,000 people had received an RBT certification (and more than 42,000 had become BCBAs).

At the same time, state mandates for insurance coverage of ABA (all states now have them) have reshaped the industry, experts say, opening up the potential for greater profit for agencies that shift more hours and responsibility to RBTs.

Industry changes may have come with growing pains, as many RBTs have expressed concerns about their lack of supervision from BCBAs: Every year, 1,200 to 3,600 messages — from RBTs, BCBAs and families — pour into the ABA Ethics Hotline, which Bailey has run in one form or another for more than a decade.

Realistically, BCBAs could oversee a maximum of 5 to 10 RBTs at once (depending on who the clients are), given the time it takes to observe, provide feedback and complete paperwork, Bailey says. But many are assigned to manage 15 to 20 RBTs, he says, in part because there are too few BCBAs to go around: More than half of U.S. counties have no BCBAs at all.

When Shannon Des Roches Rosa’s high-support autistic son was 12, the family turned to an agency near their Silicon Valley, California, home. For the first couple of years, no technician the company sent lasted more than a few months. The family cycled through at least 10 technicians, says Rosa, who is senior editor of Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism.

“A lot of them didn’t have what it takes to work with a person who has a lot of autistic behaviors,” Rosa says. And the turnover and poor care took its toll. Rosa’s son was often miserable, which was stressful for Rosa. “Whenever there was a new therapist who arrived in the house, it was worse for me than having nobody there,” she says.

In the early days of ABA, researchers in the field never dreamed that outside companies would take it over and overhaul it in ways that would harm its reputation, Bailey says. “Right now, [ABA] is known as the gold standard for treatment of autism, and that’s because we have so much research on this,” he says. “But if you don’t translate the research into practice, and if you don’t monitor the practice, it’s not the gold standard anymore.”

There are scant data to support any benefits from ABA delivered by RBTs, Warren adds.

During her brief stint as an RBT, Vance found out she was pregnant with her daughter, who is now 4. When her daughter was almost 2, she was assessed for language delays and diagnosed with autism. Vance never considered seeking ABA for her. She sees too much potential for harm as a tool to control how children behave. “I think I’m raising a phenomenal, thoughtful, caring, emotionally supported, happy child,” she says. “That’s what matters.”

Spectrum Magazine Missed the Point I Wanted to Express about ABA: Here’s what I said by Terra Vance
Quote:
I was interviewed by Spectrum Magazine about my experience with ABA. The journalist, Emily Sohn, was great. All our interactions were positive.

Somewhere between my interview with her and what was published, what I thought was going to be published was lost.

What follows is a lengthy email exchange between Vance and Sohn.

Opinion=mine:
This article used as its theme a core defense used by ABA supporters. ABA is great, the problems are caused by incorrect implementation. Not to say the issues described in the article rapid expansion plus profit motive causing inadequate training are not real. What was not acknowledged is that ABA defenders caused these problems. Their effective lobbying helped make ABA a monopoly in behavioral training in America. The vast majority of states now require insurance companies to cover ABA training creating the profit motive. Autism Speaks was instrumental in getting this to happen.

The above is a common technique used by defenders of many things print factual stuff that makes your cause look good while leaving out the stuff that makes your cause look bad. From the article

"The roots of ABA date back to the 1930s and the work of psychologist B.F. Skinner, who focused on concepts such as conditioning, reinforcement and responses to stimuli to explain human behavior. Skinner’s behaviorism theory arose around the premise that behaviors can be learned, and that learned behaviors can affect a person’s quality of life.".

That is the partial story. B.F. Skinner is the or a root of behaviorism from which ABA derived from. What was left out was the ABA was popularized if not invented by Ole Ivar Lovaas whose ABA used aversives such as electric shocks and corporal punishment techniques he also used on LBGQT people. ABA defenders will constantly remind you we don't do it this way anymore. For the most part true enough but a lot of us think that no amount of positivity can fix something that was problematic from the start.

Another example of the partial truth is the endless refrain about how all of these studies prove how great ABA is. Again those studies are real. Very few if any of these studies follow ABA "clients" into adulthood. To be fair mass use of ABA and specifically today's "positive ABA" is very recent. Most Autistic adults had no ABA or the aversive kind of ABA when they grew up thus there is really not an accurate pool of people to study. The whole point of education is to teach children how to navigate the adult world. If you do not know if your favored education methoed does this you should not claim your method "works".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Oct 2020, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 8:49 am

It seems ABA is a N American thing there’s not much ABA in the UK besides a handful of special schools that have started importing ABA as their unique selling point.

It’s been positively reported in our media but I suspect the endless therapy is too expensive for the NHS which isn’t a factor in the US insurance system.

Parents of kids with autism may be better off trying floortime and sonrise maybe giving Bumetanide, it’s safe been around for decades and in stage 3 trials for autism at the moment and significant numbers of kids seem to be positive responders.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 9:56 am

carlos55 wrote:
It seems ABA is a N American thing there’s not much ABA in the UK besides a handful of special schools that have started importing ABA as their unique selling point.

It’s been positively reported in our media but I suspect the endless therapy is too expensive for the NHS which isn’t a factor in the US insurance system.

Parents of kids with autism may be better off trying floortime and sonrise maybe giving Bumetanide, it’s safe been around for decades and in stage 3 trials for autism at the moment and significant numbers of kids seem to be positive responders.

Son-Rise is the opposite of ABA in that it requires the parents to act autistic by mimicking the child in order to communicate. On the surface it seems like a ND advocates wet dream after so many therapies similar to gay conversion therapies designed to “extinguish” autistic behaviors. Yet they brag about recovering people from autism which is quackery and bait and switch.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 10:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Son-Rise is the opposite of ABA in that it requires the parents to act autistic by mimicking the child in order to communicate. On the surface it seems like a ND advocates wet dream after so many therapies similar to gay conversion therapies designed to “extinguish” autistic behaviors. Yet they brag about recovering people from autism which is quackery and bait and switch.

Leaving aside the effectiveness of sonrise. Even if it doesn’t work your still playing and interacting with the child which can’t be bad

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 12:57 am

The "Son Rise" program has been around for a very long time, but apparently there has not been much effort to validate its methods scientifically. On the other hand, some of its methods are similar to those of other, better-validated "developmental" approaches such as FloorTime.

Relevant pages I found just now:

- Can You Cure Autism? by Brendan Borrell, Slate, Sept 22, 2017. For this non-evidence-based treatment center, the answer to that depends on how much you’re willing to pay.
- What is your experience with the Son-Rise therapy in treating autism? - Research Gate
- The Son-Rise Program intervention for autism: an investigation into family experiences - K R Williams 1 , J G Wishart, J Intellect Disabil Res. May-Jun 2003; 47 (Pt 4-5): 291-9. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2788.2003.00491.x.
- ASAT’s Open Letter to Son-Rise Program®’s Raun Kaufman - Association for Science in Autism Treatment.

EDIT: The Son-Rise program's own website lists two studies here.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 6:36 pm

1979 TV movie 'The Son-Rise Program® - A Miracle Of Love'

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 12:54 pm

:lol: The only worry I have here would be a parents' petty reason to ever take any treatments; because it's 'expensive', reputated abroad, etc.

Nevermind if there's poor quality control in abroad, let alone the mass ignorance here.

If a parent chooses to gamble their child's life, out of love or ignorance, who am I to object? :twisted:
And if that gamble pays off and tells everyone off...

Whether or not to make another parent makes the same gamble because someone else's gamble paid off, is still a gamble.
Even if that gamble meant 'better than nothing' vs 'better done nothing'.

It's not my duty to save every person's life from their own and someone's mistakes.
But all accounts had to be known.

What irks me still are the lack of accountability.

But what does that actually mean in a world full of people blaming each other within incalculable factors?
And countering said incalculable factors with an equally incalculable yet unequal factors?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 4:00 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
:lol: The only worry I have here would be a parents' petty reason to ever take any treatments; because it's 'expensive', reputated abroad, etc.

Nevermind if there's poor quality control in abroad, let alone the mass ignorance here.

If a parent chooses to gamble their child's life, out of love or ignorance, who am I to object? :twisted:

Whether or not to make another parent makes the same gamble because someone else's gamble paid off, is still a gamble.

It's not my duty to save every person's life from their own and someone's mistakes.

But what does that actually mean in a world full of people blaming each other within incalculable factors?
And countering said incalculable factors with an equally incalculable yet unequal factors?

I think its just parents feeling they have to do something. There`s no real treatment options for autism and if you include destructive / violent behaviour doing nothing is not an option.

Not every autistic kid behaves like an angel unfortunately.

Where there`s nothing else people return to the same thing, im reminded of Einstein`s theory of madness doing the same thing again & again expecting a different result.

Until better therapies come along Parents will still be compelled to go down the ABA path because its the only one.

If Neurodiversity hates ABA so much why don`t they devote their time lobbying for research into better therapies that can replace ABA rather than the do nothing & let your kid end up disabled as its part of a natural difference of the human genome. If your kid destroys your home in the meantime don`t dare complain about it as well you martyr mom.

Not likely to win many supporters there & just leaves ABA as the only thing left.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 4:32 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

I think its just parents feeling they have to do something. There`s no real treatment options for autism and if you include destructive / violent behaviour doing nothing is not an option.

Not every autistic kid behaves like an angel unfortunately.

Where there`s nothing else people return to the same thing, im reminded of Einstein`s theory of madness doing the same thing again & again expecting a different result.

Until better therapies come along Parents will still be compelled to go down the ABA path because its the only one.

If Neurodiversity hates ABA so much why don`t they devote their time lobbying for research into better therapies that can replace ABA rather than the do nothing & let your kid end up disabled as its part of a natural difference of the human genome. If your kid destroys your home in the meantime don`t dare complain about it as well you martyr mom.

Not likely to win many supporters there & just leaves ABA as the only thing left.

Hmmm... :lol:
As far as I can tell, this had nothing to do with how violent an autistic case is, nor how much neurodiversity says.

But more about parent's feelings and choices -- informed, uninformed.
And the fact that, not everyone had an option to have any services.

Please understand that not everyone lives within your system, and could just choose any (even if it's just currently one) treatment.

So I'd rather worry about quality, regardless.
There's already pseudo-practioners (here) already to worry about, taking advantage of parents choices.
From the sound of it, no better than their allegedly legal counterparts of poor quality.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.