Of course! Never any doubt! 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
No I didn't - what a shock. 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Who is Elon Musk? 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2021, 9:21 am

To me, Elon Musk has always come across as more of a sociopath with his own online group of cultish admirers. I constantly get bombarded by Elon Musk videos on the youtube recommended algorithm, portraying him as a noble businessman, very clever, very ethical, environmental and so on. Funny how it never addresses that he is alongside Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffet and Jeff Bezos for paying virtually zero tax. It is in the decimal point range.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:03 am

Musk Talks About His Childhood, Growing Up with Asperger Syndrome

Quote:
Musk is therefore everywhere. However, the man remains a mystery. The business man tried to clear up some of that mystery in a recent Ted Talk interview.

He said that he had an unhappy and lonely childhood and that he spent a lot of time in his books rather than playing with children his age.

"I did not have a happy childhood to be frank," Musk told Chris Anderson of Ted Talk. "It was quite rough."

"But I read a lot of books. I read lots and lots of books. Gradually I understood more from the books that I was reading and watched a lot of movies. It took me a while to understand things that most people intuitively understand."

The 50-year-old billionaire says he did not master social codes. He didn't understand social cues, for example. This was due, Musk explained, to the fact that he had Asperger's Syndrome.

Everyone's experience is going to be somewhat different, but I guess for me, the social cues were not intuitive. I was just very bookish and I didn't understand these," Musk, the father of seven children, including six boys, also recounted.

Failing to understand the outside world, he turned to the inner world. He found this world, especially in computing.

"I found it rewarding to spend all night programming computers, just by myself. I think most people don't enjoy typing strange symbols into a computer by themselves all night," the tech tycoon recalled. "They think that's not fun, but I thought it was. I really liked it. I would just program all night by myself and I found that be quite enjoyable. But I think that is not normal."

“I was just absolutely obsessed with truth, just obsessed with truth," Musk said. "The obsession with truth is why I studied physics, because physics attempts to understand the truth of the universe. Physics, it's just what are the provable truths of the universe and truths that have predictive power."

He added:

For me, physics was a very natural thing to study," the mogul added. "It was intrinsically interesting to understand the nature of the universe, and then computer science or information theory also to just understand logic. There's an argument that information theory is actually operating at a more fundamental level than even physics. Physics and information, really interesting to me."

This quest for the truth, which appeared quite early, plunged him into depression.

"When I was young teen, I got quite depressed about the meaning of life. I was trying to understand the meaning of life, reading religious texts and reading books on philosophy. I got into the German philosophers, which is definitely not wise if you're a young teenager, I have to say, a bit dark, much better read as an adult," recalled a visibly moved Musk.

He notably read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a comedy science fiction franchise created by Douglas Adams, which tells the story of a man who flees into space with his alien friend so as not to die on earth.

It's "actually a book on philosophy, just disguised as a silly humor book," Musk said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 5:34 am

Lol...a guy who thinks he can save the world had an unhappy childhood. No kidding.

Also, how trustworthy is someone who needs to convince you they're obsessed with the truth?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 2:43 pm

He`s never confirmed that he`s been officially diagnosed.

Until that happens ill continue to believe its just a shameless publicity stunt, looking for some victim status publicity.

As far as i can see he has almost no disability impairments, not shy at public speaking, good at managing people, plenty or friends and married and never had a personal mental health crisis.

The problem is & this is the same with all these celeb autistics - whatever issues he claims he suffers from, the underlying biological cause is unknown. Autism too is largely biologically unknown in most cases but tends to have more severe symptoms and personal functional impairment & life hardship, something we cant really say about musk.

So we have two different biological unknowns that some are trying to match up as being the same thing. :roll:

- George Bernie Shaw

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2022, 3:14 pm

Failure is not a symptom of Aspergers. Aspergers can free someone from conventional thinking, so that they stand out from the crowd. Sometimes that’s in the form of exceptional success. People with Aspergers put their energy in different places. I also read a lot and have an exceptional lotalty to the truth. You must have truth first in order to be logical. In my case, I managed to be employed, but I won’t go along with liars, so barely hanging on.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 5:04 pm

WonderWoman wrote:
Failure is not a symptom of Aspergers.

I’m afraid it is. Aspergers is diagnosed on the negatives or impairments.

That’s why ASD is a classed as a brain disorder.

Practically all those with ASD even those with careers or have coped / masked in some way end up in a mental health crisis usually by teens or slightly later.

That’s how I got diagnosed, that’s how nearly everyone gets diagnosed late.

Musk is without any obvious weakness and has not revealed any past breakdown or his diagnosis status so this is very suspicious.

- George Bernie Shaw

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2022, 7:00 pm

You can overcome or compensate for negatives or impairments.

I was orphaned at 3 and 8 and had all kinds of catastrophes. Some of us work our a—-es off and, with some luck as well, make it out alive.

Have you listened to the way he talks, the way he thinks?

He’s not a normie.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 4:40 am

He probably has some traits probably even BAP but until he’s confirmed he’s officially diagnosed its very suspicious.

I don’t trust much celebs say on anything the whole sector is a cesspit of narcissism and attention seekers

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 2:51 pm

I agree it would be nice if he confirmed a formal diagnosis. But I disagree that Autism = Failure.

Certainly it means it is more difficult to do some things NTs expect. But it might also mean it is natural to do some things NTs would find difficult. Chances of success would be affected by many things, including—but not limited to—family, luck, nature of special interests and severity of symptoms.

Note: I am not a failure. But some areas of my life have been difficult and my path to being doubly retired also included a lot of being unhappy. And I am formally diagnosed, and now that my bride and I know what to look for we do not doubt the validity of the diagnosis.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 7:13 am

Darron

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 7:14 am

Darron

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:28 am

Hope he has a good sunscreen, or he's going to wake up burnt like a fish in a frying pan next morning.