North Carolina law ends supervision of Behavior Analyists

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 5:46 pm

Autism accessibility bill signed into law in NC

Quote:
Governor Roy Cooper signed a bill into law Monday that will help make therapy more accessible for families who have children with autism.

Senate Bill 103 unanimously passed both chambers of the General Assembly before heading to the governor’s desk.

It removes the requirement that behavior analysts working in the state be supervised by licensed psychologists.

Bill supporters say removing the restriction will make the state more attractive to behavior analysts.

Currently, there are only 62 psychologists to oversee the work of roughly 680 people who provide care for the state’s 65,000 children with autism.

Bobbie and Kyle Robinson, who founded ‘Aces for Autism’ in Greenville, know how critical this therapy can be.

More ABA, More ABA, More, More, More.

The growing ABA monopoly represents by far the biggest failure of the autistic rights movement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 4:43 am

"The growing ABA monopoly represents by far the biggest failure of the autistic rights movement." agreed. All we have to do is "follow the money" to understand why.
feeling very cynical.
:cry: :cry: :(

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:45 am

Maybe if ND advocates were not so dismissive of severe autism and following their false dogma of autism being a natural difference that needs no treatment, they could work with experts on alternatives or better still biological therapies.

Unfortunately admitting such things goes against the idea that something normal and natural doesn’t need treatment.

So by demanding all they get nothing which is ABA.

- George Bernie Shaw

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 10:59 am

ABA doesn’t recognise autism, as a natural state of being for those of us who are on the spectrum. I can’t imagine forcing a child to adhere to 40 hrs plus per week in behavioural therapy, and using “aversives” to train them like a dog! Using positive behavioural strategies, respectful to the child, that manage negative behaviours has always been my choice for supporting and raising children. So far, that has worked very effectively.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:11 am

I am so glad ABA wasn’t around when I was growing up. It is so dehumanizing.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 2:54 pm

The problem is there is practically nothing else when doing nothing is not an option to those on the severe end of the spectrum requiring help with learning day to day living skills.

Things like floortime encourage social skills & speech but dont build specific skills

There needs to be more research into biological treatments to raise the functional level & learning capacity of these kids so things like ABA become redundant.

Although ive never had ABA living in UK, to be honest viewing modern youtube ABA videos the practice doesnt seem that bad & certainly not abusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pN6ydLE4EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFjZlWWZo0

- George Bernie Shaw

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:15 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I am so glad ABA wasn’t around when I was growing up. It is so dehumanizing.

It was around, just not formalized. It was known as bullying and social pressure.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 1:05 am

Are these aba clowns anti toewalking?

About the only thing my parents did right was not screwing with my toe walking.

I stopped on my own when I got heavy enough to make it hurt my toes

Edit - reading the asses* for autism page, sounds creepy.

* no offense Benjamin, I love donkeys and had a bunch of them running around yahoo groups back in the day.