Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2023, 2:48 am

Have you ever tried to get someone to understand you better by explaining you're autistic? Have they responded by saying "Why does that matter?" or "You seem fine." implying that you're just making excuses? (I ask as if I don't know the answer.) That's one of my more recent frustrations.

Another frustration is when I explain that I'm autistic, but they have no idea what that means.

I don't worry about these responses from acquaintances. It bothers me when people that I deal with frequently respond this way.

What I would like is something I could hand them or show them that would give just the slightest concept of why understanding autism is important for them to understand me. I do a lot of writing and make a lot of books, so my instinct is a small book that is easy to read. I'm thinking of something vaguely like those inspirational saying books with just a sentence or two on each page. On the other hand a YouTube video would also work.

Does this exist already? Can you point me in the right direction?

If it doesn't exist already, should I make it? What should be in it? I have my own ideas about that, but I could be way off base so I'd like to hear your input. What are the most compelling facts, arguments or short explanations about autism you are aware of?

For example, one quick explanation I thought could be interesting goes like "Autistic people are comfortable with things that don’t change and have difficulty with things that do." The idea in my head is to have a number of quick, easy to read points on one page, possibly with a more in depth explanation on the facing page. Does that sound like a useful approach?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 10:35 am

Emmett wrote:
Have you ever tried to get someone to understand you better by explaining you're autistic? Have they responded by saying "Why does that matter?" or "You seem fine." implying that you're just making excuses? (I ask as if I don't know the answer.) That's one of my more recent frustrations.

Another frustration is when I explain that I'm autistic, but they have no idea what that means.

I don't worry about these responses from acquaintances. It bothers me when people that I deal with frequently respond this way.

What I would like is something I could hand them or show them that would give just the slightest concept of why understanding autism is important for them to understand me. I do a lot of writing and make a lot of books, so my instinct is a small book that is easy to read. I'm thinking of something vaguely like those inspirational saying books with just a sentence or two on each page. On the other hand a YouTube video would also work.

Does this exist already? Can you point me in the right direction?

If it doesn't exist already, should I make it? What should be in it? I have my own ideas about that, but I could be way off base so I'd like to hear your input. What are the most compelling facts, arguments or short explanations about autism you are aware of?

For example, one quick explanation I thought could be interesting goes like "Autistic people are comfortable with things that don’t change and have difficulty with things that do." The idea in my head is to have a number of quick, easy to read points on one page, possibly with a more in depth explanation on the facing page. Does that sound like a useful approach?

You can Google “What is Autism?” but not all of those explanations will be relevant to you or the person you are trying to explain autism to. While autism has core traits it presents differently in each person. While one Autistic has severe sensory issues their planning abilities are ok, another autistic the opposite, another severe sensory problems and stinks at planning. You need to find an explanation that is relevant to your autism and where you live.

Since you do a lot of writing your own little book seems well within your ability to do.

If the person you are trying to explain autism to is a family member that person might think what you are describing is perfectly normal. Since genetics are heavily involved with autism your family members might be autistic or have a number of autistic traits, that is why they would think what you are describing is normal.

Another approach is disclosing your traits that cause you difficulty but not mentioning the word autism at all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2023, 2:40 pm

I have the idea to answer three questions. Why is it important? What does it mean for the person being told? Why are they telling you this?

Some ideas for why it's important could include some statistics like two thirds of people with autism have been bullied. Honestly I think the percentage is higher but that's what I found in a quick Google search.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 2:54 pm

i get this at work
alot of men there dont believe that im autistic and they say im too aggressive to be autistic,too sexy,too independent

they say you cant be autistic if you can drive a bus

they only see autism as a nerdy unemployed gamer living in their parents basement or a care home

some even say i cant be autistic coz i dont wear glasses

some have relatives on the spectrum but say they are nothing like me

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 2:56 pm

I'd say it again, a little louder for those in the back. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2023, 7:48 pm

Caz72 wrote:
i get this at work
alot of men there dont believe that im autistic and they say im too aggressive to be autistic,too sexy,too independent

they say you cant be autistic if you can drive a bus

they only see autism as a nerdy unemployed gamer living in their parents basement or a care home

some even say i cant be autistic coz i dont wear glasses

some have relatives on the spectrum but say they are nothing like me

Everything your coworkers said made me LMAO; it had to be the condensed collection of stereotypes about ASDs I've seen until now. Keep fighting the good fight and showing them ND people can venture beyond the basement smh.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 10:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'd personally say "Sorry, I'm autistic, we're not known for getting social cues."

Or go the Norm MacDonald route and tell them that it was a joke written by an autistic writer and see what they do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 10:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 4:06 am

I've also been thinking for some time about making a brief explanation sheet, BUT I can't figure out a way to keep it short enough that people will actually read it.

Autism is just so complex and affects me in so many different ways. Not just resistance to change but also extreme and variable reactions to stress, odd emotional responses, auditory processing issues, literal thinking, inability to form mental pictures, social awkwardness, episodic anxiety, light/noise sensitivity, logical thinking, hyperfocus. And this is just for me on the mild end of the spectrum, others may have more traits.

How do you condense that down?

artdancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2023, 4:09 pm

Emmett wrote:

I read it's better to explain your specific support needs rather than just saying "I'm autistic." More like telling someone you're autistic AND that that means you need [whatever things you need them to understand].

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 4:31 pm

Emmett wrote:

I think thats better than automatically making assumptions about you personally. The most intelligent reply that I 've had to telling someone I was autistic was "So what does that mean for you?"

While it is tiring to have to over-explain over and over, Its still better that them lumping everyone together and not realizing that if you've met someone with autism, then you've met one person with autism. Each of us is going to have our own strengths and weaknesses - and that will vary depending on the day or situation.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2023, 6:36 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
How do you condense that down?

I have the idea that one sentence per page with some important bit of information on it would be digestible. It doesn't need to say everything. It just needs to get across basics so they have some grounding.

artdancer wrote:
I read it's better to explain your specific support needs rather than just saying "I'm autistic." More like telling someone you're autistic AND that that means you need [whatever things you need them to understand].

I could see that, but my needs tend to be difficult for people to digest, it seems like they feel like you're asking for privileged treatment. I prefer to say, "hey this isn't a joke" and then explain what I need. That's why I want to start out with "why is it important?"

Kaioken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2023, 5:34 am

I have this problem too. It’s because they condensed Asperger’s Syndrome into ASD. When I used to to say I’ve got Asperger Syndrome, people knew exactly what I meant and understood what my needs were. Now when I tell they I’ve got Autism, they don’t believe me.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 9:40 pm

Long post here, so bigger text for easier reading - hope it helps. I won't be offended if anyone still finds this too long to get through. Anyway, here goes:

It took me a long enough time, but I finally can see now that most people are open minded and legitimately willing to learn and work with me when there's a problem - or else just accept what's happening with me when I can't help running aground, ride it out kindly and patiently with me, and then move on - whether they already know I'm Autistic or I'm only just then telling them about it. But I'm lucky in that I have the benefit of not having to attend school, go to work, or otherwise be stuck with other people I don't want to be around. When things go wrong, seeing how others react tells me a lot about those involved in the situation. Then I know who is safe to be around, which I need because I know things will go wrong from time to time.

A person not knowing enough about autism to be able to grasp the meaning of what you're saying when you tell them is understandable. But acting offended is rude and obnoxious, as is getting incredulous or dismissive, or otherwise being judgemental.

How I explain things, when needed, can depend on the situation. But, of course, trying to answer on the spot can leave me feeling unprepared if I'm having a glitchy brain moment. That being said, here's how I think of being Autistic, for what it's worth, in case any part of this is useful to you as you consider what you'd like to do:

I have difficulty with information flow and handling, from input to internal management to output. My sensory issues are an example of difficulty with input, though not the only kind of thing I experience in that area. Likewise with being presented with a question or situation and developing an appropriate response, which can be fouled up for me by gaps in my understanding of other people and the lag in my ability to process information real-time, which is all internal management stuff. Output involves everything from my occasional problems generating speech, to actually saying things that are awkward and might seem unpleasant in some way, and more.

A person who develops more slowly in their information flow and handling abilities falls more and more behind age peers in many ways, including socially and, consequently, emotionally. A person who is excluded for lagging then lacks regular practice and falls behind even more in their social skills and emotional development, especially during the complexities of adolescence. A person who routinely has to face surprise and general uncertainty of outcome with a frequency, to a degree, and in a way others do not becomes more wary and fragile than others, if there is not sufficient support. A person who is abused by others who think they're strange, burdensome, and annoying, and/or simply for falling behind, will be separated by an even wider gap and suffer a certain amount of warping of social abilities and emotional development. These things can make an individual very vulnerable, stressed, confused, and more likely to have things go wrong, as cognitive resources and energy are overtaxed.

Stimming is both a stress reliever and a fun thing on its own. Nothing needs to be done about it, except if the person doing it wants to be unnoticed, in which case sometimes alternate means may be found that are pretty unobtrusive. Otherwise, it's nothing to get hung up about. It's not dangerous. It just something that happens sometimes.

Meltdowns and shutdowns are the result of many things, such as a variety of kinds of overload, as well as surprises and other situations in which one can feel unprepared. But meltdowns and shutdowns can pass more quickly, or even be nipped in the bud, with good, solid support. This means being able to rely on someone to be calm, patient, and able to stay out of the way far enough to not apply any pressure (even by trying to hard to be helpful or reassuring) but close enough to lend a hand if asked. Mainly, it's important to feel safe.

And, yes, masking is a thing. So, if I don't "seem autistic" it's because I've spent a lot of my life practicing not seeming so, even since long before I would know exactly what that mask was covering, or even realize I was wearing it. It's sometimes protected me, but it's also a great drain on internal resources. I also don't always mask either as well or as poorly as I think, only finding out later how I really appeared.

Other conditions, such as hypotonia and epilepsy, are more common amongst us, but they are not autism itself.

Autism has a strong up side. All variations in life experience afford a difference in perspective, knowledge, skills, etc. That variety is what makes humanity thrive. If Autistics are provided with the time, help, and support we need, cool things can result. Not because we're magical unicorns, but because cool things happen when you let people be themselves instead of trying to make them be someone they're not.

I try to explain things in a friendly way. Decent people will be friendly if I do that. People who are unfriendly about it are not my friends.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 7:27 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KpL8Yd ... FvbWb/view show them your Autism wallet card.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson