Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChaosCascade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jun 2024
Gender: Male
Posts: 25
Location: Shell Beach

10 Jun 2024, 7:58 pm

Do certain ideologies draw in autists and how they think or perceive the world? I'm curious considering I've come across both extreme left and right leaning folks online and many have happened to have been autistic. Is this just a coincidence or is there a reason behind this?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,115
Location: Right over your left shoulder

10 Jun 2024, 10:33 pm

I believe it's not uncommon.

I think they appeal to us as special interests, but also a lot of us are independent thinkers, overlapping to a degree with self-proclaimed free thinkers (people who are easily manipulated by appealing to their contrarian traits and their desire to see themselves as smarter than the NPCs).


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
The core principle of conservatism is "Rules protect, but do not bind me. They bind, but do not protect you."


King Kat 1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2020
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
Location: Bowling Green Ohio

11 Jun 2024, 9:56 am

I've read a few places and have noticed this trait in real life myself. Hell, even I have fallen into this category.

It's been said, many people on the spectrum tend be very idealistic, tend to see things in a black & white way and have a strong sense of justice. Many, including myself like clear rules but also, believe power structures and rules should be questioned, as well as challenged if they don't serve a purpose. To put it another way, I don't subscribe to the notion of doing things " Just because I said so", there needs to be a clear justified reason, such as safety concerns or quality of work. Doing because someone is on a power trip, or they are one of these types of people that " Can do no wrong" doesn't fly with me.

I can be very black and white in how I think (although I've gotten better with that in recent years) and as stated above, I think things should always be questioned, even when it's not popular to do so. Which has gotten me trouble in a few situations.

I've noticed, many that I have met on the spectrum tend be left wing but like NT's, everyone is their own person. I'm neither left nor right these days. I know I'm not a socialist, as I don't believe in sharing money, but I also cannot stand religious right and all their stupidity.


_________________
If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
― Calvin Coolidge

Facts don't care about your feelings


Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,079
Location: AspinatorLand

11 Jun 2024, 10:10 am

I agree a lot with the above poster; I also am neither right nor left. There are times I don't agree with all of the left philosophy but they are far more agreeable than the religious nuts and MAGA that give the right such a bad name.



ChaosCascade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jun 2024
Gender: Male
Posts: 25
Location: Shell Beach

11 Jun 2024, 1:43 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
I've read a few places and have noticed this trait in real life myself. Hell, even I have fallen into this category.

It's been said, many people on the spectrum tend be very idealistic, tend to see things in a black & white way and have a strong sense of justice. Many, including myself like clear rules but also, believe power structures and rules should be questioned, as well as challenged if they don't serve a purpose. To put it another way, I don't subscribe to the notion of doing things " Just because I said so", there needs to be a clear justified reason, such as safety concerns or quality of work. Doing because someone is on a power trip, or they are one of these types of people that " Can do no wrong" doesn't fly with me.

I can be very black and white in how I think (although I've gotten better with that in recent years) and as stated above, I think things should always be questioned, even when it's not popular to do so. Which has gotten me trouble in a few situations.

I've noticed, many that I have met on the spectrum tend be left wing but like NT's, everyone is their own person. I'm neither left nor right these days. I know I'm not a socialist, as I don't believe in sharing money, but I also cannot stand religious right and all their stupidity.


This post relates to my last post actually. What draws me to right leaning circles is my anger at the modern justice system, the situation with the border, AI, globalism, and industrialization. I didn't initially seek out RW circles, but many people befriended me because of my anger at the crime and decay around us.



belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2023
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 985

11 Jun 2024, 1:54 pm

That probably explains my far-left leanings.


_________________
For I so loved the world, that I gave My theory and method, that whosoever believeth in Me should not be oppressed, but have a liberated life. /sarc


BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2023
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 639

11 Jun 2024, 3:17 pm

I don't think autistic people in fact are more susceptible to extreme idelogies. I think the main difference between autistics and allistics/neurotypicals in this case is that autistic people that have opinions that are outside what's "normal" don't hide it and pretend to think "like you are supposed to think" to fit into the group.


_________________
English is not my first language.


LittleBeach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2024
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: UK

11 Jun 2024, 3:21 pm

I am drawn in by quite odd/extreme beliefs. Often its because I tend to see things with just logic alone, rather than through the filter of what society expects someone of my age/background/gender to believe .

I also think about things in quite a complicated way, so I am never sure about things that seem obvious to other people.

I also get angry about being told or expected to think a certain way. I tend to go for the exact opposite viewpoint just to annoy these people!

I don’t generally bother expressing my controversial thoughts nowadays, especially not on the internet. I’m fed up of being shot down by people who are so sure their viewpoint is superior, regardless of logic.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,063
Location: Chez Quis

11 Jun 2024, 3:22 pm

I think it might seem that way because autistics are generally verbose on issues that matter to them, and they speak / write with lots of detail instead of generalities. If they know something or think something, they often know it and think it to extreme levels compared to NTs who might not ruminate as much. It wouldn't necessarily mean the autistic person is more extreme in their thinking, but they can be more extreme in their conviction / communication style.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

11 Jun 2024, 3:32 pm

I have never had any extreme ideologies, although I have had both right-wing and left-wing beliefs to varying degrees, politically, over the course of my adulthood on various issues and in various domains of political philosophy.

I have met some autistic people who do seem like extremists, however. I remember coming across one crazy woman, many years ago who was a self proclaimed "antinatalist" and a "radical feminist" but most of all she was just a dishonest liar.



stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2009
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

11 Jun 2024, 4:50 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
It's been said, many people on the spectrum tend be very idealistic, tend to see things in a black & white way and have a strong sense of justice. Many, including myself like clear rules but also, believe power structures and rules should be questioned, as well as challenged if they don't serve a purpose.


Maybe a lot of us have some "idealism," but perhaps the rest of it is just having the rational expectation that, if someone tells us something, we are entitled to take it literally. But life is full of exaggerations and half-truths, dashing that hope most often. Believing in clear rules is an extension of that expectation of literal truth. The idealism does come back in when we question "conventional wisdom" and "the way things always have been done."

We can be basically systematic, while people who aren't autistic may have a greater tendency to just make things up as they go along, which usually leads to arbitrary and capricious abandonment of what literally was said just a few minutes or days before. So we complain, and then some condemn us for preaching or being "unreasonable."



SailorsGuy12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2024
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 38

11 Jun 2024, 5:40 pm

ChaosCascade wrote:
King Kat 1 wrote:
I've read a few places and have noticed this trait in real life myself. Hell, even I have fallen into this category.

It's been said, many people on the spectrum tend be very idealistic, tend to see things in a black & white way and have a strong sense of justice. Many, including myself like clear rules but also, believe power structures and rules should be questioned, as well as challenged if they don't serve a purpose. To put it another way, I don't subscribe to the notion of doing things " Just because I said so", there needs to be a clear justified reason, such as safety concerns or quality of work. Doing because someone is on a power trip, or they are one of these types of people that " Can do no wrong" doesn't fly with me.

I can be very black and white in how I think (although I've gotten better with that in recent years) and as stated above, I think things should always be questioned, even when it's not popular to do so. Which has gotten me trouble in a few situations.

I've noticed, many that I have met on the spectrum tend be left wing but like NT's, everyone is their own person. I'm neither left nor right these days. I know I'm not a socialist, as I don't believe in sharing money, but I also cannot stand religious right and all their stupidity.


This post relates to my last post actually. What draws me to right leaning circles is my anger at the modern justice system, the situation with the border, AI, globalism, and industrialization. I didn't initially seek out RW circles, but many people befriended me because of my anger at the crime and decay around us.


Do you think being opposed to industrialization is right-wing?

I don't think that is exclusively left or right thing. There are probably conservatives and rightists who are at least skeptical or anti-industry but there are those people on the left of the spectrum too. One example is the far-left Mao Zedong.


_________________
Current college student looking for a new job.

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,089
Location: Dorset

11 Jun 2024, 5:51 pm

I don't know, but i wouldn't be surprised.

From what I've seen, all extreme ideologies share the trait of insisting that there is a correct way of doing things. That things would be simple if only everyone would behave in a certain way.

They're models of society that work perfectly until you introduce people until the equation. Then the chaotic nature of people messes them up.

The necessity of compromise introduces inefficiencies into these perfect systems. I think many ASD people would find that frustrating.


_________________
No hay banda. It is all a recording.


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,012
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

11 Jun 2024, 5:58 pm

Sure.
And it can apply outside the known dichotomies, too, for being prone to individualistic styles.


I myself, while just as extreme, don't have a conventional sense of extreme views however.
Not an 'extreme centrist' (lol), but more like it can appear as 'extreme apathetic'.

An extremist view, just that it's outside of the dichotomy of 'left' and 'right', 'red' or 'blue', 'yellow' or 'pink'...

Even in ideas of right and wrong...
I have my own system. Meta system even that makes conventional expressions of 'conviction' as 'icky'. :lol:


But like how I express my special interests -- I'm not very verbose about it, and I don't shout on the rooftops about it and declare it my identity or if it's even a right thing every should do or whatever.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,802
Location: Outter Quadrant

11 Jun 2024, 7:39 pm

Have seen some medium to nearly high function Aspies, get sucked into ideologies merely by virtue that certain groups
will do or promise all kinds of things that might appeal to a personally isolated aspie, Socialization with others whereas before they may have had little acceptance in their world or chances to get out around others.
Then smarter NTs in these groups help solidify a group think. And might use a unknowledgeable Aspie, to promote by being outdpoken or to help engage in violence against otbers, as a way to gain more acceptance,or more atta boys in the ideological group . Have seen this happen to persons I knew . Whom turned into a monster,through this same mechanism .of Acceptance. And the Aspie pretty much lets go of the need to analyze in favour of acceptance in the group... Having lost track of them.Do not know if they ever escaped the influence of some Californian KKK members.
Personally ,I thought they had gone extinct ." Talk about Right Wingers" And hard to believe California even had a KKK
Imperial Wizard of them and all. :evil:


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


King Kat 1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2020
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
Location: Bowling Green Ohio

11 Jun 2024, 11:08 pm

stevens2010 wrote:
King Kat 1 wrote:
It's been said, many people on the spectrum tend be very idealistic, tend to see things in a black & white way and have a strong sense of justice. Many, including myself like clear rules but also, believe power structures and rules should be questioned, as well as challenged if they don't serve a purpose.


Maybe a lot of us have some "idealism," but perhaps the rest of it is just having the rational expectation that, if someone tells us something, we are entitled to take it literally. But life is full of exaggerations and half-truths, dashing that hope most often. Believing in clear rules is an extension of that expectation of literal truth. The idealism does come back in when we question "conventional wisdom" and "the way things always have been done."

We can be basically systematic, while people who aren't autistic may have a greater tendency to just make things up as they go along, which usually leads to arbitrary and capricious abandonment of what literally was said just a few minutes or days before. So we complain, and then some condemn us for preaching or being "unreasonable."


Right, I've gotten thrown off when someone's told me something and then totally blindsides me by doing the opposite of what they just said. " We didn't mean it like that" " we meant like this". WTH?

I've run afoul with a couple of people in management at my work a couple times, over the years. I called one of them out once on their inconsistent way of doing things. Yeah my name was s--t for a while after that.


_________________
If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
― Calvin Coolidge

Facts don't care about your feelings