Page 16 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 8:37 pm

Quote:
No capitalist will knowingly hire you unless the value of the goods/services that you (promise to) produce is greater than the wage he pays you.

Once you're in Net Present Value territory, anythings possible.

On the topic of God, I spent most of my life in intimate personal contact with an immanent and transcendent god. One day, though, enough pieces of schemes involving complexity, adaptive systems, genetic algorithms and general neurology fell together and then there was just me.

I don't know how the rest of you do it. The power to sustain belief must surely be one of the most distinctive characteristics of our race.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 2:25 am

psmaster wrote:
I am an Atheist, the mere idea of a god that does everything without logic just did not make sense. I mean God can not create himself, and yet people say that ever since the beginning of time God was there, but time is only a concept. Something else had to create that God for it to exist, other wise I will be able to be born without a mother or father or test tube for that matter!

One can also say the same for matter. According to the first law of thermodynamics, matter can be neither created nor destroyed. As you have stated that God must have had a creator, likewise you are unintentionally implying that matter itself must have a creator.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 2:34 am

I am not religious. I have no doctrine, no godhead, no preconception. I believe there is more to the universe than human observation; my skepticism extends to whether science really provides the answers or merely aspects. Philosophic Taoism paired with holistic existentialism and a touch of accepting my own ignorance.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 2:16 pm

Bekkles, this is a most controversial topic, not for myself mind you but, such things can definately create hostility.Anyways, I'll answer such like this all Aspergians may be religious to one extent or another therefore, in my case, I'm not that religious yet, have no problems or grievances with an Aspergian whom is cause, I try to respect other people's mannerisms,culture,beliefs,etc..

ProfessorX

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2009, 3:19 pm

I am a very strong atheist, probably a 6-7, I think religion is pointless but sadly a part of human evolution
As much as an omniscient being would be good to talk with on scientific discussions, the only being of that power scale I could rationally think of is perhaps an ancient alien species, that has gained a form of material mastery, which is probably possible, as we are barely scratching the surface with technology

Also timeisdead, there is a floor to that arguement, matter is visible, god is not :P
But extending beyond that, this assumes god is sentient, rather than the pantheistic universal nature view, in which case god must have come from something or somewhere, after all, sentient life as I know it has causes, so althought the omnipotence thing can kind of explain that, he couldn't be omniscient together with it, as the logical implications are profound

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:04 am

deleted

Last edited by timeisdead on 07 Apr 2009, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:07 am

I was born without the emotions faith and belief.

I'm not religious at all, but I'm unsure if that's because of the lack of emotions prior or just logical deduction.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:22 am

not religious.
although wouldn't mind hanging around with the Hindu God Ganesh if he was real.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:26 am

How does the existence of horrid events disprove a creator? Who says God is responsible for every possible event?Are you denying the existence of free will? The alternative would be for God to create us as us programmed to do whatever he pleases. Most importantly, how can He test us without giving us free will? If anything, atheism is injustice. Those who have committed evil acts while causing anguish, pain, and suffering will have no punishment in the afterlife (as they stop existing) under the atheistic worldview. Justice is knowing that all who have caused you pain will face the wrath of God on judgment day.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:19 am

Quote:
Who says God is responsible for every possible event?

Err, correct me if I'm wrong. Omniscient, omnipotent, permissive of no plagiarism. Isn't that the god who inhabits most of our sensoria? You can't be omnsicient and omnipotent and not take responsibility. I won't allow it.

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2009, 11:42 am

timeisdead wrote:
How does the existence of horrid events disprove a creator? Who says God is responsible for every possible event?Are you denying the existence of free will? The alternative would be for God to create us as us programmed to do whatever he pleases. Most importantly, how can He test us without giving us free will? If anything, atheism is injustice. Those who have committed evil acts while causing anguish, pain, and suffering will have no punishment in the afterlife (as they stop existing) under the atheistic worldview. Justice is knowing that all who have caused you pain will face the wrath of God on judgment day.

Yeah again there is a flaw, the problem being that if god is truly omniscient, then he knows what I do before I do it, and yeah you can say well he still gave me free will, no he didn't, he knows something I don't, he knows what i'll do three minutes from now, he knows if i'll kill someone, he knows if i'll rape someone, therefore, the burden of creation of such malicious intent lies with the sole creator of existence, of course that is if he exists

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm

SamAckary wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

Yeah again there is a flaw, the problem being that if god is truly omniscient, then he knows what I do before I do it, and yeah you can say well he still gave me free will, no he didn't, he knows something I don't, he knows what i'll do three minutes from now, he knows if i'll kill someone, he knows if i'll rape someone, therefore, the burden of creation of such malicious intent lies with the sole creator of existence, of course that is if he exists

Let me put it to you this way

If an Algebra teacher witnessed his student writing the quadratic formula incorrectly during a test, is he obliged to step in? Of course not; otherwise it negates the purpose of the test. Life can be viewed as the longest test we will ever have. If God stepped in and intervened, it would defeat one of the main purposes of life.

Last edited by timeisdead on 08 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:14 pm

peterd wrote:
Quote:
Who says God is responsible for every possible event?

Err, correct me if I'm wrong. Omniscient, omnipotent, permissive of no plagiarism. Isn't that the god who inhabits most of our sensoria? You can't be omnsicient and omnipotent and not take responsibility. I won't allow it.

Of course you can. Please look at the teacher analogy above.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:16 pm

timeisdead wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

If an Algebra teacher witnessed his student writing the quadratic formula incorrectly during a test, is he obliged to step in? Of course not; otherwise it negates the purpose of the test. Life can be looked at as the longest test we ever have. If God stepped in and intervened, it would defeat the purpose of life.

Is the teacher omniscient, knowing that the student will do wrong?

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 1:12 pm

Henriksson wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

If an Algebra teacher witnessed his student writing the quadratic formula incorrectly during a test, is he obliged to step in? Of course not; otherwise it negates the purpose of the test. Life can be looked at as the longest test we ever have. If God stepped in and intervened, it would defeat the purpose of life.

If the teacher looks over the student's shoulder and observes the student using the wrong equation, he will know that the answer will likely not be correct. Of course the teacher isn't omniscient but this is the closest analogy I can come up with.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 1:14 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

If the teacher looks over the student's shoulder and observes the student using the wrong equation, he will know that the answer will likely not be correct. Of course the teacher isn't omniscient but this is the closest analogy I can come up with.

OK. Try to explain what you mean without using analogies, then.