Page 3 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2008, 9:40 pm

slowmutant wrote:
This extreme fear/hatred/distrust of psychiatrists is kind of like an alcoholic insisting that he avoid rehab. Or the junkie insisting that he doesn't have a problem while teetering on the brink of OD.

Psychiatry isn't an exact science, no, but then again science is not an exact science. What do the scientologists here on WP suggest in lieu of medical attention? I want to know.

I must have missed something. Is there a scientologist posting in this thread? Are there really scientologists here on WP? What a depressing thought.

Note: I don't have any greater quarrel with scientology as a religion than I do with all the others. Their beliefs are no more or less silly than the other religions. My major quarrel with them is that they insist that they are scientific.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 11:23 pm

Doc_Daneeka wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
This extreme fear/hatred/distrust of psychiatrists is kind of like an alcoholic insisting that he avoid rehab. Or the junkie insisting that he doesn't have a problem while teetering on the brink of OD.

Psychiatry isn't an exact science, no, but then again science is not an exact science. What do the scientologists here on WP suggest in lieu of medical attention? I want to know.

I must have missed something. Is there a scientologist posting in this thread? Are there really scientologists here on WP? What a depressing thought.

Note: I don't have any greater quarrel with scientology as a religion than I do with all the others. Their beliefs are no more or less silly than the other religions. My major quarrel with them is that they insist that they are scientific.

I haven't seen any scientologists, but I wouldn't be sad if I did.

Anyhow, I believe I shared that I was a Christian. But I don't think I mentioned that I basically Pentacostal.

He may have thought I was talking about being a Scientologist, but I don't know.

I've seen myself post here, one Lutheran,one Buddhist, the OP, and several agnostics and athiests, but no Scientologists

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2008, 7:31 am

I'm an extremely strong atheist, and share some beliefs with Laveyan satansim. Not as a pessimist, like many christians think, but the opposite; I don't think life needs a god to make miracles.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 7:56 am

Ditto with the confusion over scientologists. I don't think I've seen one on the whole of WP. I'm not sure, but cults possibly aren't that popular with AS, maybe. We have too much of a tendency to want answers that make sense.

As far as other religions go, I really don't see the point. I don't think life needs miracles.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 12:19 pm

I do not believe that many aspects of autism can be undone-- not to say that certain traits can't necessarily lessen with time or determination. But this is not because of a god(s) that I feel this way; it is based on the science I have read on the neuroanatomy of autism.

You may be able to alter the neurochemistry in certain ways as to lessen or alter some traits, but you cannot regrow a brain.

The neurochemistry has to do with how the matter of the brain communicates: this has the potential for alteration. But the matter itself, the neuronal bodies and axons, are pretty much unchanging after a certain point (with a few exceptions). Although there is always synaptic growth and pruning as well, which can affect how we express autistic traits. But there is something inherent to the anatomy of the neuronal and axonal structures of the brain which are the base for autism and that is unchanging.

Anyways, I'm atheist, formerly religious/spiritual though in my childhood.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:34 pm

That ol' time religion topic

I take an eclectic view of religions/faith. I have studied many in order to extract the good from each and incorporate these ideas into my own weltanshaung (world view). From each person/religion I can learn something about how to be better. In this sense I am a humanist.

Since I have no ideas if there is a god out there or not(and I have found no convincing arguments from either side of this debate) this classifies me as an agnostic. I was much more involved in the politics of religion and worship twenty years ago.

What prompted the original poster to ask the question/subject of this forum?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:38 pm

I am a member of a fundelmentalist religion. I do not know how they would react if they knew . I believe in God and trust him.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2008, 7:15 pm

Put it this way: if the choice is between a so-called loving, caring God who chose to make me this way knowing what I would have to go through or blind random genetics, I pick blind random genetics. At least there, there's nobody to blame.

As for the idea that we all choose what our earthly lives are going to be like before we are born, all I can say is some of us didn't choose very wisely. A few days ago a teenage girl in Michigan died in a fire because her family chained her to her bed (she was special needs and emotionally disturbed). Authorities haven't decided yet whether they are going to charge the family with child abuse. See my post Another Victim.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 10:48 pm

ClosetAspy wrote:
Put it this way: if the choice is between a so-called loving, caring God who chose to make me this way knowing what I would have to go through or blind random genetics, I pick blind random genetics. At least there, there's nobody to blame.

As for the idea that we all choose what our earthly lives are going to be like before we are born, all I can say is some of us didn't choose very wisely. A few days ago a teenage girl in Michigan died in a fire because her family chained her to her bed (she was special needs and emotionally disturbed). Authorities haven't decided yet whether they are going to charge the family with child abuse. See my post Another Victim.

But how can we choose what our earthly lives are going to be like before we are born if there is no God?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm

I'm a-Gnostic-Taoist!!

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:17 pm

Really?? I've never met a Taoist before.

I hope you don't mind, but I always find myself to be curious to know what makes a person's beliefs unique.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 12:54 pm

Not all people wid AS r religious n i don't count myself being religious despite i believe in god n overall iam muslim but not a strict muslim.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:11 pm

There are plenty of aspie athiests.

Personally, I believe in God, I'm just not so sure about what the bible says about him.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm

sartresue wrote:
That ol' time religion topic

I take an eclectic view of religions/faith. I have studied many in order to extract the good from each and incorporate these ideas into my own weltanshaung (world view). From each person/religion I can learn something about how to be better. In this sense I am a humanist.

Since I have no ideas if there is a god out there or not(and I have found no convincing arguments from either side of this debate) this classifies me as an agnostic. I was much more involved in the politics of religion and worship twenty years ago.

What prompted the original poster to ask the question/subject of this forum?

Do you actually believe that there is a god? I'm not talking about evidence, but rather belief. If you don't actively believe in one, you are by definition an atheist, regardless of your epistemological position on the god question.

It drives me nuts when people imply that that because there's no positive evidence for or against a god, that means that one should be neutral. Bertrand Russell illustrated this so very well with his celestial teacup argument. Does it really matter that there's a chance that this teacup might exist? No. What matters is that it's absurd to believe in a thing when there's no evidence for it. From what you've said, you don't actively believe. You also don't claim to have any way of knowing for sure. That would make you an agnostic atheist.

Sorry for harping on this issue, but it's an important one. (A)theist and (a)gnostic are not mutually exclusive positions. They are orthogonal to each other.

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2008, 12:30 am

Mormon with a few Buddhist aspects integrated into my beliefs, along with the idea that every action forms a sort of music that controls all of existence.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 8:01 am

Sasana Buddhist here, and have been for thirty years. Oops. thirty three years.

Dang, I'm old.

R.