Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Mar 2008, 4:35 pm

A friend asked me to post this for him on Wrong Planet.

Quote:
THE grandfather of a baby taken into care immediately after he was born is accusing social services of discriminating against his daughter because she has a form of autism.

The baby’s 21-year-old mother has Asperger’s Syndrome, a condition associated with problems concerning social and communication skills.

The grandfather, who lives in South Wales but cannot be identified for legal reasons, said, “Within hours of the baby being born two weeks ago, social workers arrived at the hospital and served papers on my daughter saying they would be applying for an interim care order. She was beside herself.

“Two weeks before what should have been the happiest day of her life, we as a family attended a case conference where Monmouthshire County Council placed the unborn baby on an ‘at risk’ register. Their argument was that because she has Asperger’s Syndrome, she is at risk of getting post-natal depression, and that there would therefore be the likelihood of her neglecting the baby.

“In my view, all this stress sent my daughter into labour four weeks early.

“At the court case, the odds were obviously stacked against us and the interim care order was granted. My daughter has gone with her baby to a foster carer in a remote part of South Wales, which it takes several hours to get to by public transport from where we live. Both her partner and me are greatly restricted in the times we are allowed to visit.”

http://tinyurl.com/yoe4nt

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

This is horrible. I'm afraid to see more of this in the news as people diagnosed as children and teens begin to start families. There is absolutely no reason to take this child away from its mother. Absolutely ridiculous. My heart goes out to the family.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

They are nearly as bad as the Nazis.
Write and tell them I will.
Woe and betide them if it was a baby of mine... :x

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2008, 5:37 pm

oh my goodness... That is just so wrong.

Wow, this makes me rethink going about getting an official diagnosis and being labeled as "disabled" by the government.

So, people who are more prone to post-partum depression now have their children taken away, so that means everyone who has a child without a present father, that would include those who are not making 6 figures a year, those who have nagging mothers who think they know everything...

I was thinking about getting labeled as disabled so that I would qualify for some extra "understanding" in the work place, and some minor accommodations. (Things that I pretty much lost my last job for. They were understanding and all so I left gracefully with a good reference before they had to take action.) On the other hand, if they consider looking into my parenting skills because I am labeled disabled grrrr. and you know that if there is one dirty dish someone is going to find fault if they want to find fault.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2008, 5:37 pm

What a bunch of prejudiced, short sighted morons! They say that because she has Asperger's, she will get post-partum depression. EVERY WOMAN who delivers a child, gets this! Duh! The least they could have done, was let her care for her child, in her own way, and see if any problems arose. I have Asperger's, and I raised a child with no problems.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 6:16 pm

Oooooh Nooooo.
No no no no no no. Not unless an important part of the story is not being told us. I raised 5 children and was depressed 90 percent of the time. I'm not anymore because now I take medication, but from experience I know it can be done.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2008, 6:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression
Certain ethnic groups and sexual orientations have above average rates of Post Natal Depression,but it would be totally out of the question to abduct their babies.Thats why we need to ACT up and stop being the last group that its ok to oppress.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Mar 2008, 12:02 am

I had major post-partum depression and no-one took my sons away from me.

This story makes me feel nauseous.

Helen

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 12:29 am

Quote:
“In order to retain confidentiality, we cannot comment on specific cases. However, we would say that we judge each case according to the circumstances of the individuals involved and the welfare and best interests of children is our paramount responsibility.”

Whether she has Asperger's or not, if the wellbeing of the child is at stake, and the Crown can prove it with objective evidence; we all know why these things can happen, no matter what label the person has.

If a label makes someone act inappropriately to a child, that harms the child; we all also know what happens to neglected and abused children, and why the government takes them from parents.

Not enough information to judge anyone.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:06 am

Doesn't the UK have some BS quotas that encourage child services to remove kids for crap reasons in order to fill the quota? :x

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 8:31 am

I seriously doubt that this is all the relevant information about the case. If it is as presented, then it's awful. But I really don't believe that's the whole story.

Programmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2008, 10:06 am

Liopleurodon wrote:
I seriously doubt that this is all the relevant information about the case. If it is as presented, then it's awful. But I really don't believe that's the whole story.

It does bring up an interesting point as a likely Aspie with a NT spouse. It is obvious a lot of the time my spouse has no idea what my son is feeling. Worse she assumes she can understand what he is thinking so she projects her emotions on him. Taking an Aspie and tossing him/her into foster care could deprive them of people who actually can understand and/or remember what they are going through.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 12:27 pm

Thats just wrong on so many levels...and right after birth too!

they don't even know how the child and mother acted around each other!

this is stupid and immoral!

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 1:04 pm

The article was dated July 2007. I wonder if anything has changed since it was printed? I hope that if the sole reason for taking the baby away was AS, then that poor mom has gotten her baby back by now.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 2:49 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
What a bunch of prejudiced, short sighted morons! They say that because she has Asperger's, she will get post-partum depression. EVERY WOMAN who delivers a child, gets this! Duh! The least they could have done, was let her care for her child, in her own way, and see if any problems arose. I have Asperger's, and I raised a child with no problems.

That's simply not true; not everyone has post partum depression after delivering a child- or at least, the severity of it in some cases is negligible.

However, having it doesnt' mean you're going to be negligent, and being at risk for it is a terrible reason to have this happen.

This story is terrifying.

:(