Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lawlesslady
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2009, 10:18 am

Has anyone else read this book?

I loved it. It was the first time I realized how literally a common phrase can be taken by someone who has AS. It was funny in an ironic way, touching, inspiring, and it made me sad that I didn't understand my cousin better.

Here's a link to the Amazon site. If you scroll down a bit, you will see the editorial reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident- ... 0385512104

If you have read it, I would really love to hear your take on it, especially if you have AS. I don't, so I'm not even sure if it's realistic or not -- just that it gave me a different perspective.

LL

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:10 am

there is a topic here on that book already. i've go to know about it there, bought it, read it, loved it. i could relate with many things. although, christian is more autistic than AS.

lawlesslady
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

Thanks tomamil. I'll do a search for the other thread.

LL

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:29 am

or was it christopher?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:31 am

tomamil wrote:
or was it christopher?

Yeah, it was Christopher.

I really liked the book. I read it once years ago, pre-diagnosis, and again post-diagnosis.

y es como un semestre"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:39 am

lawlesslady wrote:
Has anyone else read this book?

I loved it. It was the first time I realized how literally a common phrase can be taken by someone who has AS. It was funny in an ironic way, touching, inspiring, and it made me sad that I didn't understand my cousin better.

Here's a link to the Amazon site. If you scroll down a bit, you will see the editorial reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident- ... 0385512104

If you have read it, I would really love to hear your take on it, especially if you have AS. I don't, so I'm not even sure if it's realistic or not -- just that it gave me a different perspective.

LL

The kid in the story was a hard-core high functioning Autie. I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Especially the explanation of the Monty Hall game.

ruveyn

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 12:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
the explanation of the Monty Hall game.

I liked that part, I could see the logic. I'll remember that if I'm ever on a game show, LOL!

y es como un semestre"

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 1:27 pm

I have yet to read the book but I've heard about it. I REALLY want to read it now. Hopefully they have a copy at the university library.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:46 pm

I really liked it too. I liked the way he logically explains what it's like for him when he's stressed. Normally when I'm stressed my ability to explain anything goes out the window. And the way he explained why he hit the police officer towards the beginning had me thinking I should get a medic alert bracelet, to avoid having to explain. Didn't, though, because of the cost.

sunset
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2009, 5:02 pm

I did enjoy reading that book but personally i found it related swinging more to autism than aspergers, i loved it that it brought aspergers and autism to the media and to people who didnt know what it was to read up more on it.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

One of the best books around imo. I can relate to Christopher.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm

I can relate, too.

Except that If I try to tell anyone that I'm autistic after they read the book, they don't believe me. Because people don't get that there's more different shades of autism then just Christopher.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2009, 4:51 pm

I enjoyed it. The way everything that happened around Christopher had no context was very well done - I could relate to that big time. On the other hand, he was a very stereotyped character and his autism seemed very severe to me, not altogether representative. But most of his quirks I could see as being extrapolated characteristics of myself: If I'm on the underground, I do read every damn sign regardless of interest and sometimes I have to stop myself to avoid getting dizzy...

dadum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2009, 8:38 am

It's a lovely and well-written book, I enjoyed it.

Just the same problem as with all fictional autie-characters made up by non-autistic people: The main character is not a person, he is a stereotype on two legs.

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2009, 10:51 pm

I loved that book!

Scott_R92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Ohio, in the depths of despair and the pits of hell. Charming, isn't it?

26 Feb 2009, 7:26 pm

I didn't enjoy that book much at all. He was nowhere near High-Functioning Aspie, he was more of an idiot savant (pardon the term, I'm not familiar with the more politically correct word). His understanding of logic and use of such was much more in the severe autism category, though he was nowhere near low-functioning. A book that made little sense to me and that I could hardly relate too.

Where are you on the spectrum?