Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jun 2008, 7:58 am

(Rochester, N.Y.) - It might be the kind of film shown in Adrian Esposito's history class. But in this case, the student is also the teacher.

"I wanted to show what the civilians had to live through...the constant fear of being arrested, tortured or killed," Adrian said.

For 19-year-old Adrian, what happened to World War II survivors is personal. One of the subjects is his grandmother, and yet her story unfolds as a mirror into his world.

"When I was little I was diagnosed with autism," Adrian said. "I would stay with her during the day as I was terminated from many day care centers."

"When he was a little boy, he had a very severe variant of this disability," said Kristina Nomeika, Adrian's mother. "He had severe learning disabilities and emotional problems."

Shortly after being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, Adrian took his first film course in animation.

"In a group situation, it wasn't always easy to give him the time that he needed," said animatus instructor Mike Boas. "He was young then and had social issues. Since then he has really grown."

Conducting interviews and giving direction from behind the camera have taught Adrian social skills. Yet his Asperger's has also made him a better filmmaker.

"I think it helps me because people with Asperger's can be very creative," Adrian said. "It helps me focus more."

Growing up different than many of his peers adds a perspective to his work. It has won him fans on YouTube, for films tackling human injustice, like apartheid and racism.

"He looks for other people that have been outcast in a way," said Boas, "and has a relationship to why do people treat other people in a way that is not humane."

At age 19, Adrian Esposito has a story to tell. And through his films, he has found his voice.

link

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 11:02 am

Very awesome.

Shidash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2008, 12:44 pm

Yes, this sounds really awesome.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 1:50 pm

extremely awesome, sounds creative too :)

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)