Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 11:58 am

acannon wrote:
He also says that they're acting like girls.

8O Now that's bad! :D

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2008, 12:43 pm

This is really messed up, and I went to email Micheal, and accidentally emailed Adam Savage. He replied back saying:

Nick,

They are not my views on the subject.
You're confusing me with Michael Savage. I do NOT think that autism
is a lie. At all. Full stop.
Michael Savage is a terrible man with a radio show. I on the other
hand am a very nice man with a TV show.

Hope this helps. My nephew has Asperger's Syndrome. I'm very
familiar with it, and know that autistic people aren't "faking it.

Cheers,

Adam Savage

acannon
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2008, 3:39 pm

Wow. That must've been embarrassing. I'm really sorry that happened. He at least seemed nice about it, though.

I realized that the people who would say these things are in a very small but vocal minority and they probably would be saying these things without knowing Savage's views on them (but of course now they'll "know" they were right...) so I'm not *as* upset about it, but I'm still kind of mad. Less likely to do something about it, though, because no, he wouldn't listen to me and have a change of heart because he's a mean, bitter person whose views are rooted in the abuse he got from his father, most likely. It's sad, it's inexcusable, but I don't think there's much I can do to change it, and only a small minority of people will agree with him anyhow. Mostly what upset me in the first place was that my dad listens to him (or did, I don't know if he does now) and while I'm more than fairly sure that he'll disagree with him on this, there are people out there who won't and any autistic people around that person will suffer because of it. It also seems so disgusting and unfair of him to insult people who aren't threatening to him or his values at all. He just picked something seemingly at random to yell about and insult and it will hurt a lot of people.

acannon
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2008, 3:44 pm

Anemone wrote:
acannon wrote:

Well, he attributes it to why everything's going to s**t. People have to be politically correct and sensitive now (I just see it as being polite and considerate, but he views it as this) and boys -- autistic ones, in particular -- are growing up to be spoiled, sensitive brats. He says that that's why we have so many politicians that are the way they are: they're growing up spoiled and growing up like sensitive little girls. I know you're being sarcastic, I'm just explaining why I mentioned that part.

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2008, 4:02 pm

I think the section of the article where he quotes his dad being an idiot is the most revealing part. If your daddy raised you so well then why do you make your living of off being an angry loudmouth. His show does nothing for society just like: Bill Maher, Bill O'Reilly or Al Franken, he is just a very simple person.

A fool delights in airing his own opinions-and that's from the bible.

I wonder if he as met anyone with autism? I bet he could try to insulting them and seeing how far he could get with that.

technologyforever
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2008, 8:07 pm

I think this guy is crazy. He thinks the government is corrupt through conspiracy theory. Every normal human knows that is stupid to talk about this and it is bad for your mental health. I think Micheal Savage is paranoid. I think we should figure out to call him or what ever and tell him what all of us AUT/ASP people think about his evil opinion. Truly he is practicing medicine without a license because he is making comments on medical disorders he has no way to prove they in fact don't exist. It is obvious they do. He is just a deutsch bag.(No offense to any of us.)

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2008, 9:32 pm

Found this link on Media Matters:

http://www.savagestupidity.com/boycott.html

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Jul 2008, 9:34 pm

psmaster wrote:
This is really messed up, and I went to email Micheal, and accidentally emailed Adam Savage. He replied back saying:

Nick,

They are not my views on the subject.
You're confusing me with Michael Savage. I do NOT think that autism
is a lie. At all. Full stop.
Michael Savage is a terrible man with a radio show. I on the other
hand am a very nice man with a TV show.

Hope this helps. My nephew has Asperger's Syndrome. I'm very
familiar with it, and know that autistic people aren't "faking it.

Cheers,

Adam Savage

This is hilarious! :lol: This guy sounds like a nice person.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2008, 9:46 pm

He is, he is the guy from mythbusters

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 10:21 pm

acannon wrote:
I just saw this online: http://mediamatters.org/items/200807170005 and it seriously pi**ed me off. My dad used to listen to this whackjob. He's a total nutcase. He's a bitter, angry man who likes to yell at people on his "talk show" and rant about homosexuals and liberals. Well, now he's turned his sites to autism. He essentially says that autism doesn't exist, that people who say that they are autistic are trying to get attention and leech off of the system. He also says that they're acting like girls. It's horrible and disgusting language. If you want to do something about it, his contact information is on the right hand side of the page.

ahh...Michael Savage. Nice last name. That f*****g fa***t (no offense meant to LGBT people) is so full of s**t sometimes, AND he tried to start a riot or advocate for something like that at the Democratic Nat'l Convention. Looks like he's off his medx again :mrgreen:

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 11:42 pm

Adam Savage is awesome. What a nice guy, to reply so graciously, and to mention that he has an Asperger's relative. He has my respect.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 11:17 am

acannon wrote:
Anemone wrote:
acannon wrote:

Well, he attributes it to why everything's going to s**t. People have to be politically correct and sensitive now (I just see it as being polite and considerate, but he views it as this) and boys -- autistic ones, in particular -- are growing up to be spoiled, sensitive brats. He says that that's why we have so many politicians that are the way they are: they're growing up spoiled and growing up like sensitive little girls. I know you're being sarcastic, I'm just explaining why I mentioned that part.

This is even funnier. American politicians are all girly now? That's why they invaded Iraq. Right.

I'm sorry Americans have to put up with this kind of hate radio. It is, unfortunately, part of your tradition of free speech (which tends to go a little overboard at times). Maybe if he keeps talking he'll twist himself in knots and everyone will start laughing.

acannon
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2008, 7:50 pm

Anemone wrote:
That's why they invaded Iraq. Right.

Quite the contrary: that's why they're trying to pull out of Iraq now. We have a liberal majority in Congress, Barack Obama is probably going to be the president, and he's using the aforementioned argument as a basis for this. He probably extends it to the death penalty and other things, as well. Yes, it is all stupid and silly, but it's stupid and silly to people who are capable of critical thinking. People who aren't just eat this stuff up and will tell parents of autistic children (and autistics themselves) that they just need a good beating and they won't be autistic anymore.

Now that I have time to cool off, I realize that this is mostly just stupid and annoying and, while it is offensive, most people will just ignore it and think that it's idiotic, and the people who don't were just annoying and offensive to begin with, anyhow.

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2008, 10:38 am

This article sets a pretty dangerous precedent in my opinion.
In the shop in which I work, I often see a boy of about 5-6 years old who comes in with his parents, who, to anyone with the least bit of knowledge of the condition, is quite clearly autistic. Problem is, his parents just treat him like he's a typical badly behaved child by shouting at him and telling him off, which inevitably has no effect, and just makes him all the more confused. Ive never even heard the kid speak, not once.
Just imagine all the autistic kids whose parents take what this idiot Michael Savage says as sound advice. Pretty bleak. :(

acannon
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2008, 1:11 pm

RogueProcess wrote:
This article sets a pretty dangerous precedent in my opinion.
In the shop in which I work, I often see a boy of about 5-6 years old who comes in with his parents, who, to anyone with the least bit of knowledge of the condition, is quite clearly autistic. Problem is, his parents just treat him like he's a typical badly behaved child by shouting at him and telling him off, which inevitably has no effect, and just makes him all the more confused. Ive never even heard the kid speak, not once.
Just imagine all the autistic kids whose parents take what this idiot Michael Savage says as sound advice. Pretty bleak. :(

My parents did this to me before I was diagnosed at 16, and I would imagine that lots of other parents do it, too. That's a very big reason why what Michael Savage said upsets me: because there are kids whose parents try to beat their autistic behaviors out of them (whether their child has a diagnosis or not) and I've experienced being punished for being yourself and doing things you have little to no control over, like tantrums.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2008, 1:20 pm

very offensive content... he is a jerk