Toucan

02 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

theyre the fox news of autsim charaties

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 2:53 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Since I am new to Aspie world, I'm wondering about the hostility towards Autism Speaks. Can someone illuminate me? Not "THEY SUCK", but some concrete reasons for the contempt?

http://notautismspeaks.tk/ tells you all you need to know.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 4:59 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Since I am new to Aspie world, I'm wondering about the hostility towards Autism Speaks. Can someone illuminate me? Not "THEY SUCK", but some concrete reasons for the contempt?

Before I even knew I was an aspie, I was offended by them. I saw a video they produced, in which one of their officials, some blonde woman, gave an interview. In it, she said how, if she hadn't also had a "normal" kid, she would have loaded her autistic daughter into the car and driven off the George Washington Bridge. She said that right in front of the kid! In my opinion, she should have been prosecuted for child abuse. It reminded me of something Goebbels* might have produced. Gah!

*I am not making random comparisons to the Nazis. It literally reminded me of a propaganda film, produced to show everyone how horrible people with autism are, to justify eradicating them. I saw it as propaganda for eugenics - which still very much exists. And eugenics is the "science" which underpinned the Nazi racial theories, the "justification" for their millions of murders.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 5:04 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
1. They are for pre-natal autism testing. While this doesn't sound horrible on the outside, it has been shown that it will greatly raise the rates of aborting autistics.

What you're describing is eugenics, the idea of "improving" the human race by eliminating certain "inferior" genes. Read War Against the Weak, by Edwin Black - and realise that, for all his hesitation to offend pro-abortion interests, even he points out after the excesses of Nazi Germany were exposed, those who believed in this diabolical theory simply went underground, employing 'softer', less controversial methods. Such as recommending abortion for those whom pre-natal testing showed would have "undesirable" characteristics.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 5:52 pm

theWanderer wrote:
BroncosRtheBest wrote:
1. They are for pre-natal autism testing. While this doesn't sound horrible on the outside, it has been shown that it will greatly raise the rates of aborting autistics.

What you're describing is eugenics, the idea of "improving" the human race by eliminating certain "inferior" genes. Read War Against the Weak, by Edwin Black - and realise that, for all his hesitation to offend pro-abortion interests, even he points out after the excesses of Nazi Germany were exposed, those who believed in this diabolical theory simply went underground, employing 'softer', less controversial methods. Such as recommending abortion for those whom pre-natal testing showed would have "undesirable" characteristics.

The book sounds interesting. I might get it if my mom will let me! ^^

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 8:17 pm

theWanderer wrote:
BroncosRtheBest wrote:

I'd like the idea of improving lives through seeking superior genes or superior versions of genes that some already have, and bringing those genes to those who don't have them, through something like gene therapy, maybe replacing inferior genes. I think some should look on the bright side of the area of genetic research.