New Scientist article: Aloof parents: autistic children

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 11:42 pm

My Dad definitely has some Aspie traits...if evaluated formally, he probably would not meet the diagnostic criteria, but I can see in him the seeds of my Asperger's. It's like those traits, which are relatively mild in him, were concentrated in me. I think that's one reason why we understand each other so well...we relate to the world in much the same way.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:03 am

Certainly interesting; but let's not get carried away. Objectivity, people.
On the surface it seems these people have an objective mindset, but I'll reserve that judgment for later...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:06 am

A non believer here. If it was genetic, it would not be increasing.

Mercury has been disproven, and where people get long term mercury, there was a famous and well studied village in Japan, the result is not autism.

Socialization is a class thing, poor people have nothing else to offer.

Calibrated with education and employment, higher levels are less social, and goal directed in their social life.

Intelligence is a factor, autism around Universities, and technology clusters.

While IQ tests should be doubted, they are class and education biased, one trend has been shown, and unexpected. Over the hundred years the tests have been given, there is an IQ upward creep, across the board.

It is one point per decade.

I know it sounds absurd, but people are getting smarter.

There is a whole documented class at the trailing end of the Bell Curve that no longer exists, a bulge at the top end that never before existed, and there is more autism.

The early days, changing methods, perhaps could be wrong, but since WWII, it has been a solid standard, and it shows 1 point per decade creep.

Higher intelligence, positions rather than jobs, a lot less blue collar social in the bar on Friday night, more staying with your class, inbreeding of the 25% who finish the University, and Autism.

In the old days, when most lived on the farm, only a hundred years ago, you were most likely to marry someone born within ten miles. With the technological era, you are most likely to marry someone in the same field.

The creep factor could not have been forever, or the Vikings had an IQ of 0.

It is a modern form of selective breeding, the educated to the educated.

The result is people who were over educated before they were born.

We are the first of a new class that is not social, is educated, and consider what we are doing to be the most important thing, Autism.

This selective breeding will not stop, the Minks of Microsoft will flood the world with our kind.

Now we are 1%, soon we will be 10%. We are linking on the Internet while they are discussing football at the bar.

We are a new mental species. We own the future.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:58 am

Quote:

Powerful stuff, convincing. But, it may not be so easy as all that. When so many people with autism have to fight just to defend their lives, you can imagine how hard they/we would have to fight to "own" the future. Many, many aspies do not wish to have children. Also, the ones with the guns - or at least the ones authorized to have the guns - miltary, police - are typically...typical.

It is interesting to note the trend, though.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:07 am

Quote:

Mercury has been disproven, and where people get long term mercury, there was a famous and well studied village in Japan, the result is not autism.

Socialization is a class thing, poor people have nothing else to offer.

Calibrated with education and employment, higher levels are less social, and goal directed in their social life.

Intelligence is a factor, autism around Universities, and technology clusters.

While IQ tests should be doubted, they are class and education biased, one trend has been shown, and unexpected. Over the hundred years the tests have been given, there is an IQ upward creep, across the board.

There is a whole documented class at the trailing end of the Bell Curve that no longer exists, a bulge at the top end that never before existed, and there is more autism.

The early days, changing methods, perhaps could be wrong, but since WWII, it has been a solid standard, and it shows 1 point per decade creep.

Higher intelligence, positions rather than jobs, a lot less blue collar social in the bar on Friday night, more staying with your class, inbreeding of the 25% who finish the University, and Autism.

In the old days, when most lived on the farm, only a hundred years ago, you were most likely to marry someone born within ten miles. With the technological era, you are most likely to marry someone in the same field.

The creep factor could not have been forever, or the Vikings had an IQ of 0.

It is a modern form of selective breeding, the educated to the educated.

The result is people who were over educated before they were born.

We are the first of a new class that is not social, is educated, and consider what we are doing to be the most important thing, Autism.

This selective breeding will not stop, the Minks of Microsoft will flood the world with our kind.

Now we are 1%, soon we will be 10%. We are linking on the Internet while they are discussing football at the bar.

No offense, but your hypothesis is based upon anecdotal evidence. Besides which; I can tell you, factually, that, considering the Autistic time-scale, your theory of "educated micro-evolution" is simply not possible; an interesting concept, of course, but easily disproven. What we are is more a "coincidental" being. Coincidentally, our mutation has given many of us higher-functioning brains - albeit at the expense of more primitive, lower-functioning aspects of the brain. Besides which; intelligent people have been seeking like-minded people for ages. That is, in fact, a part of sociology - not an argument against.

Nice concept, but not enough definitive information to build a reasonable hypothesis.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:54 am

True, not a research paper, just a view, mine.

People have been marrying by class for a long time, but class was defined by money.

The new classes are defined by merit.

One can get into a monied class by birth.

For research I would look at the class of the next Microsoft generation, Dell is equally isolated.

There seems to be little research, but some evidence that autism is way over normal in tech clusters.

Tech is too new to judge, life since the 90's.

Autism was "discovered" in the 90's.

I started in IT in the punchcard era, A University Degree was a ticket to the top.

Then it took a Masters, then a Doctorate, then tech hit big, and here we are.

The forces that drove the highly educated together, and the tech expansion, no one cared what you looked like, how you dressed, just that you could make the machines run.

Traits autistics are know for being high scoring on, the block test, spatial relationships, are the machine fixing skill. You cannot learn that in college.

More than 90% of the population has an IQ of 90-110, events pulled together those with an IQ above 110.

Growing up autistic is a different path, we share a lot of traits, so a normal path.

Some of us get through, some get stuck along the way, some develop later.

We are dealing with a lack of knowledge in all directions.

We are not one in 10,000, but 1 in 100 and growing in the recent era. Something is causing it.

1% is 3,000,000 in the US.

It should be studied.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:15 am

Actually, Autism was discovered in the twenties... or maybe before, but if so, I've never heard about it...

But; there is a reason more Autistics are found in technological situations - Autistics are attracted to technology. As a result, many people - even those not realising they are, in fact, Autistic - ones with Aspergers so "mild" they are only slightly eccentric by appearence - are attracted to technology, and find themselves suited to that sort of environment.

Think of technology and assosciated industries and professions, science, etc. as Autistic magnets.
The specific behavoural types of Autism congregate in these professions and, inevitably, breed with one another. Hence, producing more Autistics in the science/technology environments.

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2008, 2:35 pm

Well, I don't know how I got Asperger's Syndrome. My mom has schizophrenia and I believe that my dad is normal. Dawn

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 5:22 pm

Inventor wrote:

Is it increasing and not actually just being diagnosed more? I could claim that Aspergers has increased immensely since 1900 going only by numbers of diagnoses. What's the flaw in this claim?

Quote:
Over the hundred years the tests have been given, there is an IQ upward creep, across the board.

This tendency appears to only exist in industrialized societies that have been using standardized tests for many decades. It's not an increase in intelligence but greater and greater widespread familiarity with these types of tests.

Quote:

You are a supramacist who cannot back up your claims with anything other than wild misinterpretations of data that have far more prosaic explanations.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 4:42 am

Quote:
Quote:

You are a supramacist who cannot back up your claims with anything other than wild misinterpretations of data that have far more prosaic explanations.

Well, in a sense, we - or rather our decendents, by the laws of evolution, are or will be a new, more intellectual species.
We likely will "own" the future; much as homo sapiens sapiens "owns" the current, after the extinct homo neanderthalis.
Key issue when talking about the future: It's never certain. If the "pro-cure" genocidal maniacs have their way; it's a moot argument.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

Ideas in science go in and out of fashion, and a lot of what's accepted truth today will be "How could people have been dumb enough to believe that?" a few centuries from now.

New facts and new interpretations come up all the time too, so it's good to respect the limits of certainty. This includes ideas about evolution.

Still, if you're looking at trends, past and future, we sure appear to have an extremely low reproductive output, especially among males, way below any average.

There's no way of knowing, because most of us don't know there's others of us, but I'd bet we also have a very high suicide rate.

That's got something to do with trends.

I don't know the future, but I've got doubts about our part in it.

I can't figure out how we managed to be around at all. We seem to be breaking the standard idea of the rules just by existing.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina