Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2008, 10:58 pm

Hey, guys, a few months ago during the summer, I watched a few clips of a show on Dr. Phil called "Brat Camp." The videos were found on youtube.

Now, when I watched the videos, I found one of the families questionable in how their kids were treated. The first one was where there was a kid named Noah, and he and his mom were arguing. Apparently, this kid seemed to have a talent for arguing with every point his mother tried to make. However, I was not able to decide whether this kid or his mom were at fault. For example, Noah was complaining about his Mom nudging him violently on a plane trip. He gently tapped his Mom's shoulder to get her to turn her music down, and apparently, his mom had already said five million times that she wasn't putting the volume down. Noah said he wanted his mom to turn the volume down because the music was driving him crazy. also in this scene, his mom kept interrupting him, and Noah slapped his mother on her cheek, and asked her how that felt.

Now, who do you guys think is in the wrong here? Noah, or his mom? you know, Noah could be an aspie.

06 Sep 2008, 11:11 pm

I think the mother should have turned her music down. She had it on loud, the kid didn't want to hear it.
And it's very disrespectful for a kid to argue with an adult so she decided to have him go to Brat Camp thinking it will make him change.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

Noah was most likely an aspie and i saw that whole series what you're talking about.. dont be fooled by the kid though he was a sociopath, he could not listen or co-operate, but the mom was the creator of this monster.. his sister died and after that happened she stopped caring, and he even said that she was a good mom before she died.. it's really sad.. it's mostly her fault, for making her son pay the price of her daughter's death, it's not like he wasnt sad.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

what did the fake dr say about Noah's problem?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 2:17 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
what did the fake dr say about Noah's problem?

he didn't really take care of the kid, he focused more on the mother.. but in the one situation he did talk to him he said "well that sounded rehearsed practiced and insincere" after the kid said something about his mom.. im not sure if Dr. Phil was right or not.. maybe he was.. :? either way, the kid didnt get therapy, the kid who needed just as much help as his mom, didn't get nothing.. or maybe i dont remember it though

Relyt22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 11:23 pm

I've seen that video on YouTube or somethinganother... That kid was just begging for attention. Too much unwarranted self-importance. He deserved what he got.

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 12:45 am

Relyt22 wrote:
I've seen that video on YouTube or somethinganother... That kid was just begging for attention. Too much unwarranted self-importance. He deserved what he got.

EXACTLY!! !! The kid was just begging for attention! His mother's attention, the attention he deprived him from after her daughter died and she punished her son as if he hasn't had lost his own sister.

Dr. Phil is the biggest idiot of a psychologist there is. He is fake, he is so fakely good that every time I watch his show I get sick in my stomach of how he uses people to get rich and famous. If none thing he does sincerely is pretend he cares!! !

Oh gosh! just saying his name made me want to puke...

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:29 pm

Star wrote:
Dr. Phil is the biggest idiot of a psychologist there is. He is fake, he is so fakely good that every time I watch his show I get sick in my stomach of how he uses people to get rich and famous. If none thing he does sincerely is pretend he cares!! !

Oh gosh! just saying his name made me want to puke...

AMEN!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:41 pm

Why people listen to this guy like he is god is beyond me, he has the brain of a mentally challenged brick on dope :roll: I really feel bad for this kid he is going through hell and his mother don't seem to care, all he needs is love and attention yet she won't give him either it seems.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:04 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
Why people listen to this guy like he is god is beyond me, he has the brain of a mentally challenged brick on dope :roll: I really feel bad for this kid he is going through hell and his mother don't seem to care, all he needs is love and attention yet she won't give him either it seems.

It's not that simple.. don't discredit Dr. Phil that easily.. sometimes though I do agree..

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2008, 9:09 pm

Just because a man is a "doctor" doesn't necessarily make him so.

But sometimes Dr. Phil is pretty funny, especially when he makes fun of overly emotional idiots.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:16 pm

I agree with the above ^^.. I think every situation is unique and recognizing that is important. But doctors follow this very shallow protocol, and it's rather unflattering.. It takes true natural talent to look at each unique situation and treat it appropriately.. the fact that anyone can become a legal doctor is scary, because not everyone has it in them to detect circumstance or the intellect to make medical decisions.. or psychological.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 6:35 pm

They're both wrong. Kid has to learn respect, Mom has to learn not to be insensitive.

I hope the kid wasn't sound sensitive. In that case I would definitely be on Noah's side.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 8:46 pm

Two articles about alleged discrimination by Dr. Phil towards disabled people (one who walks with canes, the other who was successfully treated for bipolar):

My Dr. Phil Nightmare: 'Special' segregation at the Dr. Phil Show

Hey, Phil, How's Discrimination Workin' For You?

And that's how he treats people who are presumably his fans (people who want to be in the studio audience). According to Wikipedia (I can't seem to click through to one of the sources cited), he was sanctioned for unethical behavior in 1989, and never regained his license to practice in Texas (it would've fulfilling a lot of requirements he never decided to fulfill), while he never had one in California at all. He's still represented as "Dr." because of his degree, but he is not actually licensed to practice (the network lets him do the show because it's considered entertainment, not psychology or medicine, so he shouldn't be viewed in the same light as practicing doctors).

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 8:20 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I think the mother should have turned her music down. She had it on loud, the kid didn't want to hear it.
And it's very disrespectful for a kid to argue with an adult so she decided to have him go to Brat Camp thinking it will make him change.

I am simply wondering why the mother did not simply ask the flight attendant for a pair of earphones or why the mother simply didn't bring a pair with her. I personally don't think there was anything unreasonable about the kid's request to turn the volume down a little bit.

22 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm

I assumed she already had a pair of headphones or how else would she listen to music on a plane?

I don't see why someone would want to bring a boombox on the plane with them to play CD's (you are only allowed one carry on) or bring little speakers with them to plug into the CD player. People might not want to hear the music and tell her to turn it off.

Just common sense I used there why she already had headphones.