Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 3:17 am

does bill gated hav AS? at the end of this video there is video footage of him rocking to reduce his stress.

I have always had a slight feeling he had it but never gave it much thought.

Has any one else heard anything about it, or is the video just edited or inconclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15JexiQ ... re=related

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2009, 7:17 am

If you ask me there's too much ''diagnosing'' going on. Einstein, Newton, Washington, now Gates? Are people just looking to diagnose anyone smart and successful?

Inconclusive, though greater chance of him being an NT simply because that's how it works.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 8:04 am

Just objectively, Bill Gates is definitively Dxed w/ AS/HFA. I do understand your point, DeanFoley, and I agree just 'casual' and therefore inappropriate (!) 'diagnosing' surely does happen! I don't like that either...negates the entire understanding of autism too. However, those historical characters who have been forensically Dxed, by professional consensus based upon REAL data is valid. For ex: Einstein, Newton, Tesla had beyond obvious AS &/or HFA - that's a given.

But, just as DeanFoley stated very well, it's just a misnomer to 'assume' one who is smart and successful is an Aspie (absurd). But B. Gates does have the Dx - valid.

I do rather cringe when 'just someone' decides Individual X has autism! Hate that....diagnostics need to be done properly or it's meaningless! I slightly hate those on-line 'Aspie' quizzes. I guess I realize those on-line quizzes are 'just a guide,' but should never be misconstrued as anything more. And hate the casual statement, "Don't you think that's an Aspie-ish trait?" Seriously, I don't even know what that means...nonsense!

I did a presentation and have a video of Bill Gates w/ regard to his autism. Just must add, those who have been Dxed (such as forensically) will verify 'Autistic' but often leave out the painfully hard part of that individual's life! Tesla (scientist whom I much admire) had very REAL difficulties associated with his condition - that's unfortunate.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2009, 9:19 am

I've heard it mentioned numerous times outside of autie/aspie circles, for example; in the media, software and computing groups, Child Mental Health services (I still receive services from them but I'm about to move on due to my age).

I doubt Gates really needs a diagnosis. xD

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 9:24 am

LabPet wrote:
Just objectively, Bill Gates is definitively Dxed w/ AS/HFA.

Erm... by whom? When?

Just factually, Bill Gates has never been diagnosed with any form of autism. Or at least, if he has been so diagnosed, he certainly hasn't made such a diagnosis public knowledge.

Personally, I would doubt it. Although he has some traits that superficially appear autistic, he has others that I would say are rather atypical of autistics.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:08 am

LabPet wrote:
But B. Gates does have the Dx - valid.

Source? I have seen no legitimate source ever report that Bill has any form of autism. As a former MS employee, I can tell you that the stories of "corporate memos" diagnosing Bill or telling employees how to behave around him are false. At the new employee dinner I went to, Bill looked pretty normal with a crowd of 50 new hires swarming him everywhere he went.

I think the autism community is looking for a hero and they're using Bill in an irresponsible fashion to prove their worth.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

I don't think he was formally diagnosed. It's just that many people feel he has some of the AS traits.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 1:52 pm

A lot of these famous auties diagnoses are pretty dubious. I'd be surprised if Gates were truly on the spectrum, just because of how unusually high functioning he is, period. Most people could never accomplish what he did - it's like he's the opposite of us in some ways. And if he is on the spectrum how did he do so much? What's his secret?

I disagree with most of the other famous auties, too, though I know nothing about Tesla, and I gather there's a good case for Henry Cavendish. It would be really useful to have a better list of examples, based on actual impairments not personality quirks. I found a couple of possible e.g.s no one ever mentions that I'd like to publish on. Must dust that off and have another go at it.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 2:02 pm

I've heard enough rumors about Gates--from people who know him well--to believe that there is some truth to the rumors. I don't like the argument that he's "too high-functioning." People have different circumstances and coping skills. It just seems too close to the fallacy that "autistic people couldn't possibly do x."

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2009, 3:57 pm

Gates is clearly, and obviously socially awkward.

Gates has the dress sense of floorboard.

Gates is a self-confessed geek, bullied at school.

Gates has a really, really crap hair cut.

This much is fact.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 5:08 pm

srriv345 wrote:
I've heard enough rumors about Gates--from people who know him well--to believe that there is some truth to the rumors. I don't like the argument that he's "too high-functioning." People have different circumstances and coping skills. It just seems too close to the fallacy that "autistic people couldn't possibly do x."

Also, one must consider his age. Aspies do learn better coping and social skills over time.

As to why he's been successful, he works in a field where Aspie traits are tolerated. He also came up with a product that made money, and when someone has money people will forgive a lot. Also, he could use his money to hire help.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2009, 5:44 pm

He also had the advantage of coming from a stable, professional, upper-middle class family.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 5:56 pm

I know this topic can be...contentious? Which I do not mean to stir-up. But I do know plenty of Autists most certainly CAN succeed and thrive, in whatever they choose. I acknowledge this can be hard or different but it's doable.

Those who have Asperger's Syndrome are likely not to be 'advertising' their neurology, nor should they. I think we all know many Aspies do not overtly show their traits and can appear quite normal in certain circumstances.

I am just one so I don't really count but I do a lot in my given field. Yet there are always those few (like when I was a kid, and, sure, still now) who say, "She wouldn't be able to." But I do. For one ex: I am in a rigorous academic program and partially/functionally mute. BUT I teach 2 chem lab sessions. And I do well in this capacity. For me the trick is that I foremost know my chemistry - I lack personal confidence but I have 100% faith in the science and this is my strength. About the speaking part: Here's what 'they' don't know, I have a script written and everything I will speak is outlined on the board. Mostly in lab it's SHOWING and doing - this I can do. About science matters I sure can answer questions - that's ok.

Do my students 'know' I am Autistic? Well, I don't know. Maybe....but that's a moot point. The topic is the SCIENCE, not my difference. In some ways this is an attribute.

About Bill Gates: I doubt he would ever show his diagnostic paperwork - and why should he? This would be deletorious for his position. But I have read from various sources that he functions well and does have that work-able personality - he's likeable. Further, he does have an optimal support system that can buffer for him. In some ways I definitely do this too - in a major way! I align myself closely with (ok, I might anticipate I will get creamed for saying this but it's reality for me) older men who are on the opposite end - NTs who are science-gifted AND have those people skills. I am shy/socially akward but this is buffered by whom I align myself with. Those men are like father-figures to me and I have blind admiration for them. I am young BUT I have learned certain strategies from necessity. I don't rely upon myself, but the science. And I try very very hard.

I can tell you Autists can and do function, and contribute. About those forensically Dxed; I accept this since there are independent assessments who are reputable. Diagnostics, as far as Autism, are better refined now, thankfully.

Just have to add....my paternal uncle was a low-functioning Autistic who lived his entire life (from the age of a little child, like 4ish) in an institution. He was entirely mute and never knew to hold a writing implement - zero communication. But I think of him often. When we met there was recognition - I don't need to add specifics here and this is hard for me to write/process. He loved to go for walks in the courtyard (this was not in AK). He was uncanny at spotting any animal movement - much like a sighthound. If a rabbit would pass even peripherally he would 'spot' and point. I observed his remarkable observation skills. So, was he mentally ret*d? I don't know, maybe. But also locked inside - I can recognize many of his traits in me too. And in my own father who looked like his twin.

lau - I cannot know 'who' or 'when' for Bill Gates and this could not be advertised for public gawking. I understand your point, being a skeptical individual myself. I don't carry my papers myself and don't feel the need to divulge. I am in the neurosciences and they DO know (they better, that's their field of expertise). But those amongst Bill (and others like him) SEE and know his difference, with the pedigree - I believe this has been addressed. Discretion is best.

I read, with interest, about the Poincare Conjecture. The mathematician who solved is Grisha Perelman - and in fact he has revealed. But keeps this in check; the math matters, not his condition.

Must note too: Of course not all Autists are smart of gifted! I don't mean to imply this - some have real developmental detriments and just cannot thrive in 'normal' settings. In the Neurosciences we know that autism may be analogous to cancer. But this I mean there are many forms of cancer but with an underlying demoninator. Breast cancer has a different treatment and prognosis than prostate cancer, osteosarcoma, leukemia, skin melanomas, etc. Autism is much like this too - the whole variety. Don't know if there's a 'typical' autistic! Just like there's no 'typical' neurotypical - we are all individuals.

Anemone: I never try to 'figure out' how anyone accomplishes anything (Autist or not) - they just do. But humans do accomplish and can beat the odds. In some ways, for me, my autism IS my strength! I deeply mean this - I simply could not without. I met a friend (from Wrong Planet) at the Neuroscience Conference - she's awesome! She's an epigeneticist and gifted. I really liked what she said too. Hope it's ok to say (I'll not reveal names) but she said when she was a kid in school teacher said "Not all of us can be the cream of the crop," meaning she just didn't 'have it.' Hah! Trust, the Aspie I refer to has totally killed THAT erroneous misconception! Sometimes teachers, others, can be quick to judge. But what is their authority?

Autistics DO have strengths but this can be untapped. There are channels outside. I admire Dr. Temple Grandin and she's written about this; she visualized this as a door opening and she then progresses through. I don't think it's a 'secret' but maybe just tenacity and faith in our field of interest.

Sigh....I hope I stated this all right.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 7:43 pm

I think Warren Buffett is definitely HFA or aspie. A British book reviewer even commented on it after reading the peculiarities of Buffett's life in his recently published biography The Snowball. He eats nothing but hamburgers, potato chips, and Coca Cola. He hates veggies and cheese on his burger-so do I, actually, and I always find myself removing veggies from fast food burgers. He has lived in the same house since 1957. He couldn't get a date, and his first wife was "persuaded" to marry him by her influential father because Buffett made lots of money, and she felt sorry for him.

He cares little for social status or status items-even Bill Gates buys souped up Porsches from Germany, but Buffett toodles around in an old Cadillac. He rarely does interviews, and seems to be uncomfortable with interpersonal relationships. He has a very narrow focus and interest-the stock market and money manipulation-to the exclusion of all else. It just so happens that, unlike Star Wars or trains, this particular special interest made him rich. His mother was definitely bipolar-she abused him in a horrendous fashion, and since he was sensitive, it really impacted him. (Sound like your life?)

I think that if we need a hero, he would be far more logical than Bill Gates. Bill might just be driven, some people are and it makes them look odd to outsiders, it used to be called "monomania" and people were institutionalized for it. But I think Buffett really is autistic. He's almost like a child who can work the stock market and make it do wondrous things, but who can't dress himself or tolerate vegetables.

I think Tesla was autistic too. He might be more suited to the "aspie hero" role-he had enormous difficulties coping with everyday life, but in his field he was so smart that it would probably be impossible to measure it. He may have been centuries ahead of his time. He was also greatly misunderstood-some thought he was influenced by Satan, others that he was a "mad scientist" in the way of Mary Shelley's Dr. Frankenstein. He had to continually fight to do his experiments in peace, since people wanted to shut him down out of fear.

I don't think Tesla's nemesis, Thomas Edison, was aspie-he was too good at sales, holding sales jobs as a teen, he just preferred to tinker. Ben Franklin, no. Jefferson, probably not. Henry Ford had some AS traits, including extreme rage and a singular focus, but he was so loathsome that he wouldn't be a good role model. I'm not familiar with Cavendish.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 12:51 pm

I have heard he has aspergers. Although my therapists and case managers told em a lot of people have it. I guess to try to make em feel better. :?