Aussie talk show gets it right with Asperger's and Autism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Eternal_Saber
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2009, 6:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70jRTtbgPY

Finaly. I have found somthing in Australia that has a great understanding of Asperger's and Autism.

This is a must watch. You would be proud of how the doctor understands people like us despite the fact that she is a nerotypical. ^_^

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 7:42 am

Sorry, but the "expert" pushes my buttons.

Her description of AS seems OK.

However, the interviewer pronounces Asperger's the way I believe is correct, whereas the "expert" chooses to pronounce it with a soft "j" sound. When directly asked if there is a "correct" way to pronounce it, the "expert" says "no". In that case, maybe I'll take to pronouncing it as "oz-pyre-hearse".

She also seems to say that we can easily be made to conform to NT standards - to do everything properly and fit in - with just a bit of CBT.

(Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood? :))

millie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

I think it is ok, considering it originally appeared on a daytiime morning info show on a trashy commercial station.

Regarding the apparent ease of CBT training in order to conform to the the unspoken, social standards of society... i believe CBT has had its place in my life...but easy? IT can be...and has been... exhausting at times.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:31 am

lau wrote:
However, the interviewer pronounces Asperger's the way I believe is correct, whereas the "expert" chooses to pronounce it with a soft "j" sound.
The interviewer pronounces Asperger's in a correct way indeed:
Since Asperger is an Austrian/German surname, it is pronounced with a hard "g" and the stress is on the first syllable.

http://www.autscape.org/

jman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:59 pm

She has a very shallow understanding of it, she's not really an "expert", shes one of those people who thinks people with AS take everything literally :roll:

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 2:37 am

So does many talk hosts in my native land too.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 3:38 am

jman wrote:
She has a very shallow understanding of it, she's not really an "expert", shes one of those people who thinks people with AS take everything literally :roll:

No, she mentioned this as being one of many possible symptoms.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 3:38 am

jman wrote:

No, she mentioned this as being one of many possible symptoms. Given the 4 minutes the Dr had to convey the basics of AS I think she did a bloody good job

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx