At about what time did most people know that...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

At about what time (century, clearly exact dates cant be applied) did most people know that the brain is where thought and personality are, not the heart. I ask because my special interest is conjoined twins, and i have found that even quite recently (relatively speaking) they have been treated as one person referred to as "it" and so on. These are cases not involving pairs joined by the head, as at that point it clearly becomes much more complicated determining number of people. (i am trying to speak in general about a condition that vastly varies from case to case, so this is somewhat inaccurate)

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

Don't hold me to this but I have an inkling it may have been the Romans who discovered this. But I could be wrong.

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

Good question. My guess is much later than you think, like Victorian times.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

I think that Greek or Roman cultures may have known this, but the (ancient) Egyptians never did.

But they do not have me