Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:58 am

I am very logical and philosophically minded, and find SF and fantasy completely boring and always have.

Could anyone help enlighten me how or why many of us with AS can cope with the irrational and illogical aspects of such things?

I work in Highgate Cemetery in London and my special interest is accumulating as much information and details of the people buried there as well as the historical facts. However, there are a large amount of people who come to the cemetery in the hope of seeing ghosts and finding out about the Highgate vampire.........such things baffle me, they seem so illogical.

My enquiry is educational and would welcome any input from people with AS who really appreciate SF & Fantasy.

Many thanks

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:41 am

i cant speak for the community, but in my case, it fantasy/sf are a form of escapism, allowing me to take a break from the real world into a more logical-oriented one (most SF) or one where difference is the norm (most fantasy, in this i mean there's often elfes/goblins/younameit running around)

i dont see the appeal of ghost and/or vampire fantasy though, my preferred type is that which truly acts out in another world, like middle-earth from lord of the rings, or midkemia from Raymond Feist.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 10:53 am

I enjoy fantasy a lot but I have too say I recognize that it is fantasy therefore I would never go to a cemetery hoping to see a ghost or a vampire.

For me I enjoy the worlds that take place in fantasy and the ability to read about them and explore them. I think I became interested in fantasy as a child when I would constantly read books and also comics. I still do this and in fact I write comics as well as work at a comic shop so for me it became something that I like to explore as well as my special interest.

I guess I understand that these fantasy worlds are not logical or rational but they are fun and exciting. I find the world I live in to be very often boring and stressful that I know that I have these other worlds to go to which is escapism.

Also well written science fiction and fantasy will also explore things in a way that they can teach us about the world we live in. This is not always the case as there is a lot of poorly written sci fi which is pure escapism but some of my favorite books have taught me things that i can bring back into the world I live in. This is more a long the lines of strong moral teachings and ways to look at the world.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

I'm as logical as they come. I'm into science fiction, fantasy, horror, and supernatural films. I'd never, say, go on a ghost house tour expecting to see ghosts because I don't believe in them. I guess I appreciate the escapism of it.

As far as sci-fi is concerned, it can be very educational. A lot of the ideas and items that were envisioned by sci-fi has come to fruition. This includes space flight, laser beams, tricorders, talking computers, etc. We may one say even see teletransportation.

In addition to watching these genres I also write them so I'm involved in their creation. Again, writing gives me something to do, gives me some sense of purpose otherwise I'd be dead in the water, belly up.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:09 am

Much of the best science fiction is based of philosophical thought experiments... So, if you're "logical and philosophically minded" you might want to give SF another try.

Avoid stuff like Star Wars and look for some good short stories. Analog magazine might be a good place to start.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

Thank you so much much for all your
thoughts.......I think I might try and explore
some good SF. Maybe I might suprise
myself and find it theraputic.......we all need
a good healthy escape from this world for
sure.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:01 pm

I would stick with hard SF if I were you. If it's not hard SF you'll likely be put off; most of the stuff that isn't hard SF is basically just fantasy in a different setting.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 1:01 am

Thank you edgewaters

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 2:56 am

I can empathize, OP.
My bf is into fantasy novels and the like and I just can't stomach them.
It's hard for me to watch movies that aren't historical fiction or documentaries.

~shrug~

to his Interest."