Can I lose weight by skipping breakfast?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 6:47 am

0_equals_true wrote:

That's true, but some people just can't handle skipping breakfast completely. I can't. I need at least a snack or I feel miserable. I just think fasting or skipping meals completely leads to pointless suffering. It's so much easier to just eat smaller portions. A lot of the time the hunger will go away if you simply eat less at each meal. You just have to discipline yourself to stop eating well before you feel the "full" sensation that usually signals you to stop eating.

The real reason most people are overweight is the fact that we are mentally programmed to eat larger portions than we truly need. This is probably because in prehistoric times caloric intake varied greatly from day to day because food wasn't always available. Surpluses couldn't be saved due to perishablility. We needed to eat a lot on days that abundant food was available to make up for the caloric deficit at other times when food wasn't available.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

17 Sep 2016, 1:47 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

That was an interesting read. Eating less loses weight. Brilliant!

Now i get to have an arguement with myself because people call not eating for 16 hours a day actually fasting. It is not even long enough for ketosis. The 5/2 maybe. 5 days eat, and 2 not. You might as well call skipping brunch fasting. Or skipping tea time.

And then there is this:
Some people may experience positive effects, while others may develop headaches, drops in blood sugar, faintness and lack of concentration.

Could this perhaps be from a sugar/glucose/carbohydrate withdrawl, because of a glucose addiction, and the body not knowing how to properly regulate insuline, or do without the substance?

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

yournamehere wrote:

The idea of calories is kind of a joke. It is measured by how long something burns when you start it on fire. Your body does not work that way.

lol i didn't read the rest of your big post. tried but couldn't =)

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

18 Sep 2016, 8:24 pm

awkward facepalm wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

The idea of calories is kind of a joke. It is measured by how long something burns when you start it on fire. Your body does not work that way.

lol i didn't read the rest of your big post. tried but couldn't =)

It is funny!! I do work for a nut-tritionalist. She thinks it is funny when I talk about this stuff too. She knows I'm right, and keeps telling me that the calorie idea is full of holes, but it is the best idea we have. That' s when I get to say "soo, is that why everyone is soo fat?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 8:12 am

It's always best to exercise, rather than skipping meals.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2016, 8:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Regular exercise with a diet low in refined sugar and high in low GI carbohydrates is the key. Most people believe they have to go on a extreme starvation diet to lose weight when it the truth is the opposite, they need to replace the foods that are high GI and high in sugar with alternatives.

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 9:22 am

This is my "diet" bible.

It doesn't tell you, "Eat 1500 calories a day, no wait 500cal on some days...never skip breakfast, drink 8 glasses of water a day, no it's actually 4, fasting helps, fasting slows down the metabolism" etc.

..Instead it teaches you to really listen to your own body and its needs, and you lose weight naturally.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Do it like your kunk fu teacher, have something smaller. But it depends on your workload during the day.
Even mental workload (the brain is powered by fat & protein).

Skipping dinner is easier, and you'll wake more easily (hunger makes your body alert).
Ideally you'll want to shift your diet into a healthier spectrum.
It can be difficult, try to organise some quick to prepare meals (that way you don't have to put in a lot of work, and get discouraged, when you are tired).
You can have fats & sugars. But try to get fats from vegetables, and sugars from fruit (try to have whole fruit rather than juice). Remember Fat is a long chain sugar. If you are craving fat, it could be protein that you really need.
Investigate why you want a particular item, do you really want that doughnut? Or is it just the cinnamon or custard cream?

Tobes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2016, 2:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think a combination of diet + exercise is the best way to lose weight. Some people are just born with a bit more bodyfat than others and need to go on a specific program to lose that weight.

As others have suggested, I would advise healthy snacking. Eating keeps your metabolism up and a higher metabolism leads to more weight loss. Just make sure you eat things like fruit and vegetables instead of potato chips. Try to find lean protein and carbs with minimal fat and sugar per serve. Reading the ingredients label of things you buy should help make better choices.

Also try to do some more exercise than you're doing. Something a few times a week that builds up a light sweat.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

I would eat when you feel hungry. You don't have to eat breakfast everyday if you don't want to, frankly I'm better with lunch.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 3:41 pm

Have SOMETHING in the morning. A protein bar or a protein shake or a hard-boiled egg. You'll be hungry again later in the morning, but you'll do more to lose weight by eating several small "snacks" throughout the day than trying to skip entire meals.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

The trick to losing weight for most people is eating smaller portions--in the west, we've gotten used to eating huge portions of food in one sitting (look at the size the plates they bring you in restaurants, for example.) You would be amazed how simply making your portions a bit smaller can make a difference. Also, stop eating BEFORE you feel full, don't keep eating UNTIL you feel full. Also, fresh veggies like celery make a great snack because a smaller amount in your stomach makes you feel fuller and also the fibre is really good for you.

I actually went out and bought myself some small ice cream bowls that I use for things like cereal, snacks like baby carrots, etc, instead of using the bowls that came with my dish set (because those are uge.) I also use smaller forks and spoons (basically the kids sized ones that came with the silverwear I inherited from my mom) so that I'm eating smaller mouthfulls at a time. It also helps if you eat slower, and chew more slowly--you end up enjoying your food more that way, too.

The French eat rich foods all the time (they love chocolate and pastries and things, which I am all for), but they eat very small portions and they eat slowly and savour their food so their population is pretty healthy and they don't have as much problem with obesity as other western nations. My favourite dessert is a few squares of very dark (at least 75% cocoa solids) Swiss chocolate and some organic vanilla yogurt (a small serving size in one of my ice cream bowls).

I found the following helpful:

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/episode ... ce-of-food

I just realised the video is not available outside of Canada, but if you search for "In defense of food" on youtube it might come up. Here is the bit on portion size:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:44 pm

some thoughts- fat per se doesn't make you fat, that is what sugars do, as the body secretes insulin in order to convert them into long-term storage [body fat]. proteins and fats make one feel full faster and longer. but a majority fat and protein diet can't just be jumped into all at once, one must ease into it. the body take a while to learn to burn fat as energy, instead of carbs. restricting total calories just tells the body to lower its metabolism to conserve energy, and one ends up gaining weight in the end. fasting just teaches the body to use fewer calories.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

Actually not, skipping breakfast is the worst you can do because you'll feel even hungrier. Don't be lazy and hit the gym. I do Muay Thai myself.

Fat shaming is for losers.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:37 am

I tried just having a peanut butter flavored granola bar for breakfast. It seemed to help with weight loss and I was only mildly hungry before lunch time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:39 am

what works for me is a banana and PB and veggie juice for breakfast, it sticks to my ribs until lunch.