Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 4:47 pm

badRobot wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
awwww... I'm disappointed. I was all set to ask badRobot what his credentials were for all the hard-and-fast pronouncements about the cause, the treatment, and the nature of depression, because he seems so much more dogmatic on the topic than professors who are experts, with multiple years of training and experience.

My credentials don't matter. If you want to credentials, check credentials of researchers who studied molecular mechanisms related to depression or exercise.

Professors! ROFL! They are the face of fundamentally broken medical education system, having nothing to with science. If you are a certified nurse completely clueless about psychology, you can pay $$$ for like 4-week course based on 10-year old textbooks and become therapist certified by those "experts, with multiple years of training and experience."

It's impossible to be more dogmatic than "professors who are experts".

What you mistake for "dogma" is paradigm: evidence-based intentional approach based on most recent scientific consensus. This is the opposite of dogma, opinionated "school of psychology" BS most famous professors in the field belong to.

You're making a fool of yourself. A little bit grandiose, aren't you? What ARE your g.d. credentials? Personal opinion, based on a manic degree of self-importance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 5:54 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
awwww... I'm disappointed. I was all set to ask badRobot what his credentials were for all the hard-and-fast pronouncements about the cause, the treatment, and the nature of depression, because he seems so much more dogmatic on the topic than professors who are experts, with multiple years of training and experience.
badRobot is defending the kind of behavior that you and I both prefer when engaging with the "Timmies" on this website -- bluntly calling them out for what they do wrong to screw up their own lives and/or to hold themselves back from making personal improvements.  In this respect, badRobot is on "our" side.
Excuse me - you don't speak for us.  The topic is heavily nuanced. I don't have a side. I just advocate for a little more sophistication in the analysis.
You are mistaken -- I was not speaking for "us"; I was pointing out that "our" side (note the quotation marks) has another supporter.

Besides, not all of "us" can be as sophisticated as you, n'cest pas?

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 6:19 pm

ooh, la la, il parle francais!

I don't address Timmys as a class; there's just one particular Timmy who never left after promising he would, and as I think I pointed out, monopolizes space on the boards.

I guess I have moved into position as a detractor. Wow, a liftetime dream is fulfilled!

Medina Spirit came in 3rd in the Preakness, with Rombauer coming from behind to win by, not sure, I'd guess at least a couple of lengths. It's fun to watch a race like that.

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 5:08 am

BeaArthur wrote:
You're making a fool of yourself. A little bit grandiose, aren't you? What ARE your g.d. credentials? Personal opinion, based on a manic degree of self-importance.

No, you're making a fool of yourself. A little bit grandiose, aren't you? What ARE your g.d. credentials? Personal opinion, based on a manic degree of self-importance.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2021, 5:22 am

! magz wrote:
No personal attacks, please.

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 7:33 am

BeaArthur wrote:
The topic is heavily nuanced. I don't have a side. I just advocate for a little more sophistication in the analysis.

Lead by example. Show a little more sophistication in criticizing my approach, please.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 9:30 am

You're the guy who prescribes burpees. Enough said.

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 9:50 am

BeaArthur wrote:
You're the guy who prescribes burpees. Enough said.

"Enough said" is dogmatic thinking, you said nothing. Not exactly a lot of sophistication. Could you elaborate, please?

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 9:55 am

My reasoning:

badRobot wrote:
Burpees is not a magic cure.

It's a way to improve tryptophan metabolism, down regulate stress and stimulate reward system. It DIRECTLY addresses 90% of physiological causes of depression.

Doing burpees on daily basis and seeing visible positive effect improves learning capabilities, boosts motivation, encourages responsibility and putting effort into your own wellbeing. It DIRECTLY addresses 90% of psychological causes of depression.

Your reasoning:
BeaArthur wrote:
Enough said.

Are you sure it is you who claims to advocate for a little more sophistication in the analysis?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 10:18 am

"Down regulate stress" is meaningless mumbo jumbo. It's statements like that - and many others - that make me unwilling to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 11:15 am

BeaArthur wrote:
"Down regulate stress" is meaningless mumbo jumbo. It's statements like that - and many others - that make me unwilling to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Yes, it is meaningless mumbo jumbo. To you. Read up if you don't even recognize basic terminology.

To people who are not completely clueless in biochemistry is means exercise triggers release of compounds like beta-endorphins and endocannabinoids which downregulate stress response, lower levels of cortisol and epinephrine. Metabolites present in bloodstream as a byproduct of energy expenditure trigger cascade of stress reducing hormonal responses as well.

I don't see any evidence of sophistication in the analysis yet. Try harder.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 11:21 am

Nope. Not playing your game. Goodbye.

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2021, 11:39 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Nope. Not playing your game. Goodbye.

I'm truly overwhelmed by amount of nuance and sophistication in analysis. Thank you for opening my eyes to all the dogmatic thinking and misbeliefs I used to hold. You completely changed my mind on the subject. Thank you!

badRobot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2021, 4:37 am

So we are back at square one, aren't we?

The only people who've engaged in this conversation are the ones who antagonize any attempts to suggest practical solution of the problem, with one exception. There are no any signs of support, acknowledgement or reasoning, only denial.

Again, zero curiosity, zero interest in raising awareness, zero interest in recovery or prevention of depression.

I get that depressed person lives in denial and can't help it. But what about the rest of this community? What is wrong with you?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 8:24 am

As someone whose just recently gone back to intense workouts and rigorous training after years and month of hiatus and slow rehabilitation from injuries and setbacks that damaged my life, and as someone who can easily say that I have arguably one of the worst lives on this forum and have suffered severe depression from being screwed over by life more times than can even be counted, I can vouch that there is method to the madness that intense physical activity and healthy eating can do more to help depression than most conventional methods offered such as medicine. After doing an intense bout of physical training 2 days ago I felt so alive and reinvigorated it felt better than any drug or elixir than can be taken, only unlike medicine and drugs with crazy detrimental side effects physical activity has 0 side effects and only a bevy of benefits.

Granted a caveat is in place. Physical activity and exercise helps, but the greatest and only real way for me to solve mental problems are with deep resolution of the problems that gave rise to said mental illness. Contrary to modern day psychobabble that mental illness is just thinking instead of actual real life circumstances, the moment I worked hard on getting what I wanted and living as I wanted is when I made the most serious progress and actually felt true inner peace.

So technically getting what one wants and satisfying their needs still beats all, but exercise helps a lot and is a much more efficient way to balance out chemicals in one's body than drugs from my experience.

Master Oogway

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 8:36 am

This is why we cannot have nice conversations on WrongPlanet -- even when everyone involved agrees on the subject of a thread, the discussions themselves always devolve in into personal attacks and petty bickering.

:(

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!