Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,648

01 Dec 2023, 8:18 am

Last week, half marathon.

Did not prepare adequately. However, jogged the whole thing. Mile ten, left thigh stiff and sore. Otherwise zero physical pain and zero symptoms. Perfect temperature and weather. Nobody bothered me. Uneventful. Heart felt like it was beating out of control. Had a great time. 40, been getting physically weaker and slower. Told self that if I jogged the whole thing and finished on time, would never have to do that again.



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,833
Location: Dorset

01 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm

Well done shortfatbalduglyman. I've run a few half marathons, it's no small acheivement.

Do you still feel like you don't want to do it again? I'd love to do it again.


_________________
Not a duck. And I don't have a hairy back.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 24,561
Location: Right over your left shoulder

01 Dec 2023, 3:16 pm

Congrats. My heart wanted to burst out of my chest the first few ball hockey games I had, but now it's not quite so bad.


_________________
Never Again*.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
*Note: Terms and conditions may apply. Offer not currently available to those living under Israeli occupation.


renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,165
Location: Western Australia

09 Dec 2023, 9:23 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Last week, half marathon.

Did not prepare adequately. However, jogged the whole thing. Mile ten, left thigh stiff and sore. Otherwise zero physical pain and zero symptoms. Perfect temperature and weather. Nobody bothered me. Uneventful. Heart felt like it was beating out of control. Had a great time. 40, been getting physically weaker and slower. Told self that if I jogged the whole thing and finished on time, would never have to do that again.
You must be very fit.

I know someone at work who runs half marathons and she goes to the gym nearly every day. She also has a personal trainer. She looks very healthy and has a muscular physique.

You've done extremely well to get through a half marathon without any help. I go to the gym once a week and walk other days but I'm still fat.



Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 514
Location: Australia

13 Dec 2023, 11:20 pm

What an awesome achievement OP! Great work mate.



ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,081
Location: The Room at the end of 2001

14 Dec 2023, 11:55 pm

Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment many haven't done!

I did do a marathon once that I didn't train long enough for. Did complete it but it was pretty tough. The fact that it was 70 degrees that day didn't help.



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,648

24 Dec 2023, 5:28 pm

renaeden wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Last week, half marathon.

Did not prepare adequately. However, jogged the whole thing. Mile ten, left thigh stiff and sore. Otherwise zero physical pain and zero symptoms. Perfect temperature and weather. Nobody bothered me. Uneventful. Heart felt like it was beating out of control. Had a great time. 40, been getting physically weaker and slower. Told self that if I jogged the whole thing and finished on time, would never have to do that again.
You must be very fit.

I know someone at work who runs half marathons and she goes to the gym nearly every day. She also has a personal trainer. She looks very healthy and has a muscular physique.

You've done extremely well to get through a half marathon without any help. I go to the gym once a week and walk other days but I'm still fat.


----------------------------

My day job involves heavy lifting. The company gave me a reasonable accommodation because a doctor wrote a note that I am not allowed to lift over fifty pounds. Plenty of employees and customers could not believe how little weight I could lift.

Also been getting sick a lot

So not "fit"



DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,701
Location: PNW USA

24 Dec 2023, 5:54 pm

If you made it through a half-marathon, you're more fit than you think. Give yourself some credit.



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,648

24 Dec 2023, 7:17 pm

DanielW wrote:
If you made it through a half-marathon, you're more fit than you think. Give yourself some credit.


____________________________________

Fine, but 2:48 is not a fast half marathon time.

Only one nonbinary competitor came in after me, and plenty of nonbinary competitors and women came way ahead of me. Many of them older than forty



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,648

26 Dec 2023, 11:56 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Well done shortfatbalduglyman. I've run a few half marathons, it's no small acheivement.

Do you still feel like you don't want to do it again? I'd love to do it again.


_____________

40 years old. Been getting physically weaker and slower for a long time now. And rapidly getting much worse.

Barely made it to the finish line. Any further and I would have dropped out.

Half marathon cost $210 and my worthless corpse only earns $21 hour. Besides my job is very dangerous. At least five pedestrians got hit by cars while I was at work. Any day now I could get hit by a car. There is no point wasting all that time, money and energy training, just to get hit by a car

Also I could just do my own half marathon, without paying a fee. (And I have done it before). And I choose the time and route. No car. Public transportation that early in the morning, not good enough.

Loved the half marathon, though.



PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 795
Location: Wales

27 Dec 2023, 9:41 am

I’ve been curious about completing a half marathon, as I’d regularly do 5K on the treadmill and I do have to remain careful having had knee surgery years ago.


_________________
"When you begin to realize your own existence and break out of the social norm, then others know you have completely lost your mind." -PerfectlyDarkTails

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,833
Location: Dorset

27 Dec 2023, 9:48 am

^^Was that a big city half marathon to cost that much? Seems excessive.

The ones i do generally cost around £30 which is what, $40? Just under i think. But they aren't city half marathons, they're trail ones.

I'm going to do one next year, it's been too long and I'd like to get fit again.

Also don't worry about being 40 and slow. I'm 44 and slow. Getting slower all the time. 2hrs and 40 mins is perfectly respectable


_________________
Not a duck. And I don't have a hairy back.