2009-2010 NCAA Division One Basketball

Page 11 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2010, 12:17 am

Good news today JaJaun Johnson and E'twaun Moore pulled out of the NBA draft. Looks like next year we are legit national title contenders. Hopefully no injuries this season. Solid incoming class too. How does Maon look?

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2010, 6:23 pm

Early preseason ranking I think it does justice #2 8) the dukies will fall!
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/con ... ID=1083741

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
Early preseason ranking I think it does justice #2 8) the dukies will fall!
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/con ... ID=1083741

That's debateable for one since Collegeinsider.com could have a completely different ranking list. I can't see much out of the Big Ten since the rumors of their expansion to possibly 16 schools is still frighten.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 8:59 pm

On an unrelated note, let's hope the Big Ten just admits Notre Dame or some other strong football school --- and stop messing around with further expansion. Talking doesn't help in Big Ten's sports or academics right?

This comes from a Big Ten supporter.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 7:33 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
On an unrelated note, let's hope the Big Ten just admits Notre Dame or some other strong football school --- and stop messing around with further expansion. Talking doesn't help in Big Ten's sports or academics right?

This comes from a Big Ten supporter.

For one thing, the Big Ten with the possibility of expansion will take more one school to balance out the conference. Also Notre Dame could join the Big Ten but stay an independent for collegiate football. If the expansion was to happen, the SEC, Big 12, Pac-10 and other big major conferences will have to countered act with expansion of their own. This counteracting of the Big Ten conference expanding has the possible repercussion of affecting the mid-majors and low majors conferences like CAA and A-10 in school memberships and collegiate sports.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 9:24 am

Thanks for the insights. :)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 10:01 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html

Serious issue since the Big Ten (11) are holding their spring meeting right now.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:32 pm

Personally, though, Big Ten should not really be like the Big East --- 16 teams in a conference, this works only in a basketball-only league. And look at the old example of Western Athletic Conference (WAC) --- I note that there used to be 16 teams in the early 1980's but the conference got too big and unwiedly, it has to kind of split itself into two later on --- WAC and Mountain West Conference.

So even though this may not be good to Big Ten in the future (or NCAA), I think there should be just one team defecting to the Big Ten whereas the Big East should just add the University of Central Florida...

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:47 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
Personally, though, Big Ten should not really be like the Big East --- 16 teams in a conference, this works only in a basketball-only league. And look at the old example of Western Athletic Conference (WAC) --- I note that there used to be 16 teams in the early 1980's but the conference got too big and unwiedly, it has to kind of split itself into two later on --- WAC and Mountain West Conference.

So even though this may not be good to Big Ten in the future (or NCAA), I think there should be just one team defecting to the Big Ten whereas the Big East should just add the University of Central Florida...

It is competition for broadcasting dealings and money. Comcast and MASN deal with the local universities and conferences like the CAA and A-10. They can't even scored 10 broadcasted games for basketball let alone any other collegiate sport. With the recent expansion to 68 teams and the new contract for tourney with CBS and Turner, the money is the big issue here now.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:56 am

I see. But no matter what, enjoy the (basketball) game. :)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 8:47 am

ruennsheng wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... UHeadlines

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 8:49 am

Specifics of the field of 68 mulled by the NCAA

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:26 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... UHeadlines

It's good to let me know what those people did in 1991 to earn more money, as do the current football team (Fire that guy R-Rod and hire someone else with more ability and integrity instead). But I had never respected them as a real team, which I didn't tell you last time. To me, no team can ever top the 1997 Michigan Wolverines football team.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:30 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

I thought 64 is the golden number? I feel that the 65th team is some team that will gonna get thrashed --- even if that were the Michigan Wolverines basketball team. Well never fix it at 65, or even 68... unless there is some system that will make weaker teams go further.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 2:45 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

I thought 64 is the golden number? I feel that the 65th team is some team that will gonna get thrashed --- even if that were the Michigan Wolverines basketball team. Well never fix it at 65, or even 68... unless there is some system that will make weaker teams go further.

A lot of schools want the field of 96 to happen. However, that would eliminated the NIT which has been around for ages. It is to ultimately benefited the mid-majors and low-majors conferences because often they only get one bid into the tourney.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:04 am

Well, without extra money, 96 may not happen at all.