Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2005, 11:40 pm

I have been overweight since I was about 12. I currently weigh about 320lbs, and I wear a size 28, which is sometimes a little snug. I am also a compulsive overeater. I have tried to lose it before, but I have never got more than 20lbs off before I gained again. :roll: I have decided to try to lose it again. I am vegetarian and allergic to gluten and dairy, but I'm adding dairy back in for a little bit while I try to lose. I'm going to do the whole-grains-low fat, lots of veggies thing, plus walking my dog for exercise and some yoga.

Does anyone else struggle with their weight? Are you happy with yourself or would you like to lose weight? Were you formerly overweight and have since lost it? Are you underweight and trying to gain(If you are, I'm jealous!)? Please post here!! Any comments, tips, commiseration, etc, is more than welcome!!

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2005, 11:57 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
I'm going to do the whole-grains-low fat, lots of veggies thing, plus walking my dog for exercise and some yoga.

Good luck with that! :D

I don't have any personal experiences with weight problems. (One of my doctors recommends that I gain a few pounds, but I'm not at an underweight by any means.) But I know people who do, and it seems really difficult. Best wishes!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 12:01 am

I was formerly overweight, and I've now lost most of the weight that I needed to lose. I've hit a plateu that I'm trying to end. When I started Weight Watchers, I was at 224 lbs. Now I'm down at 162. I'd be even happier with myself if I would stop eating Junk Food all the time, and start eating as much Produce as I did when I started in the Programme.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 12:21 am

Here's something interesting that may actually tie in to AS: I have a weak thyroid. I've been heavy most of my life, but over the last 4 years I've lost about 60 pounds, thanks to Levoxyl and a job that kept me nice and active. I try to walk when I can (I live in a great walking town) and this year I intend to bike around a bit since I live near three different parks and would love to go exploring.

No doctors would believe us when Mom discovered how fast I was gaining weight when I was about 4. Not until 5 years ago did a doctor properly diagnose me with the weak thyroid we always suspected. He put me on Levoxyl, which I've been on since in various doses. I just have to watch that I'm not a bad boy when I eat and remember to exercise. Sucks it's so cold out, and exercising in the gym at the apartment just doesn't feel the same.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 5:47 am

I've been overweight my whole life really - Lots of comfort eating of very unhealthy food + no exercise of any kind = 22 stone (or 308lbs for those of an American persuasion :)). I got diagnosed with a liver problem about a year ago which was something of a wake up call - since then I've been eating a lot better and actually exercising a lot, and I'm now down to 18.5 stone (259lbs). I've still got another 2.5 stone (35lbs) to go though to get to where I should be, which still seems an awful long way off..... Those punds just keep on getting harder to shift...... :(

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 9:07 am

I weigh almost 400 pounds. I've struggled with my weight since I was about 15 or so. :cry:

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 10:01 am

I am fairly overweight... obese even. I've been like this since I was young. You can allmost pinpoint the exact time I started to gain weight to when I started to play video games instead of going out and playing sports with other kids. My aversion to sports comes from my lack of manual dexterity and general clumsiness. So since I never really picked up on the skill part of sports, other kids generally didn't want me to play with them. And I was much more content sitting indoors playing video games, since I was actually good at those. And so with an inactive lifestyle for a kid, plus little supervision over what I ate by my parents, leads to an overweight person.

But I nowadays, I don't want to blame my weight on anyone but myself. Since If I wanted to I could take the weight off. There have been boughts when I try to eat less, or exercise more... but they never last. It more or less becomes a very short obsession, but quickly fades away.

I have been losing a bit of weight just by eating less though. I currently weight around 265 Lbs, but just a while ago I weighed 275. And I think, even though I didn't keep very good track of it back then, a couple of years back I was pushing 290 possibly 300. My pants fit much more loose then they did. I usually eat fast food of some sort for lunch at work. But then I won't eat much the rest of the day... maybe a bowl of cereal for super. Some soup or something. If anything at all. Then I don't eat breakfast. So I just eat a whole lot for lunch, and just coast untill next lunch.

I am not on a real active regime to try to loose the weight. I am fairly comfortable with the way I am. There is nothing really that I want to do that I can't. I can participate in some physical activity, like play volleyball and what not. But for my future health, I really should take off the pounds. If I could get to 200, It would be nice.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 10:35 am

Bec-yes, it is hard...I just hope that this time it'll all work!

CockneyRebel-Which weightwatchers program are you on? I tried them a couple times, and I hated it, but my sister loved it(not that she needs to lose anything more than 10lbs) It's great that it worked for you!!

ZedSimon-hmmm...that's very interesting, especially as the side of my family with aspie traits also has thyroid problems...maybe I should get mine checked!!

TAFKASH-unfortunately, it gets harder, not easier...urgh...sometimes I wish that there was no such thing as food!

Psychlone-yeah, it's so hard to be overweight as a teenager(gee, I already am talking like I'm 30!!)

Pugly-I am relatively OK with myself the way I am, I am trying to lose for health reasons. I have monstrously low self-esteem, and I know I'll think I'm ugly whether I'm size 30 or size 0, so my opinion of myself is not the reason I want to lose. I also, was inside as a kid instead of playing outside, if someone made me go out, i'd take a book out and read on a lawn chair. :P

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 12:23 pm

I'm underweight, but it doesn't really bother me much. I think I weigh around 110 lbs, which is light even for my towering 5'4".

It's weird that I don't gain weight very easily. Besides my brother, the rest of my family is on the chubby side, and I even eat tons of junk food. I've also been skinny since before I started my exercise routine two years ago. Funny thing is, I was a really really fat baby :D

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 1:11 pm

I'm what you would call "Moderately Overwieght" from a technical standpoint. The last time I weighed myself I was 270lbs, but have a 6 foot 6 inch frame so I really don't show it too much.

I've always been a little on the chubby side (at least since puberty), but never anything to the extreme.

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 1:23 pm

I am not fat or chubby or light. I am just right - exept for my little mommy-tummy. I would like to tone up the muscles around there, and for my whole body, actually. Gotta exersize.. :P

But I do pretty good. I nurse my baby which uses some calories, and we don't eat proccessed foods much at all. White bread, yes, but I have to make it by hand to cut costs. I also usually don't eat when upset, or anything. Food goes in when my tummy hurts, or someone else is eating with me.

I need to do better at drinking water. I forget too often. Oh, yeah, I don't drink juices or anything. Just water, tea, coffee, and sometimes milk, but mostly water. (Sometimes a sip of wine or juice, but never in any big quantity.)

I think that eating the way we do, mostly vegetarian with a little fish, cooking from scratch, mostly, and not eating for comfort all plays a part.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2005, 1:42 pm

I have struggled with my weight. I have a 6' frame and it does carry weight well, as I put fat on porportionately, but I can look like the stereoptype of the Swedish masseuse, in other words "a big-boned lady."

I am now 10 pounds away from my high school weight of 145lbs., which is really thin, but I can't say as I lost the weight through eating right and exercising. I lost it b/c I got the Flu and my daughter went into the hospital for a couple days...I didn't eat, so I lost about 10 pounds. Not a healthy way to do it. I was originally 204 lbs. from my pregnancy.

However, now that I have lost the weight, I am taking it day by day in keeping it off. It's hard, b/c my husband loves junk food and has the amazing ability to just stop eating it if his pants are too tight. I, on the other hand, compulsively eat. He and I are having a hard time coming to a compromise regarding what we have in our pantry.

Those sour cream n' onion Pringles are calling my name, also the Hershey's Brownies my Mom made for us, and the home made scones with jam.

My mom is a size 4, which is petite and has no problem controlling her weight either. Man, those two piss me off.

I know when I am gaining too much weight, b/c my husband will say I am 'curvy' instead of chubby or fat. His says "Catherine Zeta Jones is curvy and sexy," to try and make me feel better.

However, now that I am getting 'Gywneth Paltrow' thin, I can't keep him away from me.

It isn't rocket science for even an Aspie like me to figure out which weight her prefers.
Tallgirl.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 5:16 pm

I am also moderately overweight, but I am far too lazy and like food too much to be bothered to do anything about it. :P

I should be around 15 stone (210 pounds) to be at a healthy weight for me - I am 5'11'' and stocky - last time I checked I was approaching 17 1/2 stone (245 pounds). While I'm pretty comfortable with being a large mammal, my heart and joints will probably thank me for trying to lose some of it 10 years from now, so much as I don't want to I should probably try to eat better and take up a form of exercise that won't be too much of a pain in the neck - grudgingly I might add. :?

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 6:00 pm

Ghostix-I'm jealous :P :P :P

Scoots5012-My Dad is 6'6, too...he works at school and kids think he is a giant sometimes 8O

1Peacemaker-Good for you!! I don't want to look amazing(actually, I do, but it's not practical for me, unfortunately) My goal is to be healthy!!

Tallgirl-Wow..6'! And I thought I was tall LOL!! !(5'8)

Duncvis-That is the main reason I am trying to lose, the long run payoff

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 6:08 pm

This all reminds me of the old gag..... "I'm not fat, I'm just 'big boned'".... How come you never see any skeletons with 'big bones' then? :?

(Psssttt.... Dunc..... Don't want to rain on your parade, but your ideal weight of 15 stone is actually classified as borderline obese for 5'11" on the BMI..... Don't worry, I won't tell anyone :wink:)

Mind you, the BMI says I should be under 200lbs for 6'3" to be a 'normal' weight :? I think my legs weigh more than that on their own.....

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2005, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Does anyone else struggle with their weight? Are you happy with yourself or would you like to lose weight? Were you formerly overweight and have since lost it? Are you underweight and trying to gain(If you are, I'm jealous!)? Please post here!! Any comments, tips, commiseration, etc, is more than welcome!!

Unfortunately, I am a compulsive overeater, as well. I struggle with food addiction, and I have a tendency to go on eating binges. This turned out to be a problem when I first attended college. When I was living with my mother as a child, I didn't really have access to much food (she didn't keep food in the house).

When I first started living on my own, however, I could buy as much food as I wanted. I gradually gained weight during my first few years of college. I went from weighing 170 pounds at high school graduation in June 1998 to peak at around 215 pounds in December 2001.

I didn't realize that I was overweight until a coworker commented on it one day. I did recognize that my weight had increased, though, and I figured that I needed to reverse the trend.

My first attempt at losing weight was successful. My solution was simply to eat less. I restricted myself to one foot-long Subway sandwich with double meat per day (there was a Subway at the bottom of my dorm). I'd allow myself the occasional splurge on a pizza if I felt like I was starving. I dropped from 215 pounds to around 160 pounds in around six months simply by reducing my caloric intake.

My problems with food addiction resurfaced again recently when I discontinued the use of caffeine, which functions as an appetite suppressant. It was a bit disheartening to have my food addiction resurfacing just as I had managed to conquer my addiction to caffeine and painkillers. I hope to quit eating junk food at some point in the near future.