Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jun 2009, 3:58 am

I work in an office full of sneezers and snifflers. I always feel like I'm going to catch their cooties or whatever they heck they suffer from. Am I safe from allergies?

The former things have passed away."

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 4:25 am

The allergies themselves should not be contagious. But there are other issues to regard. When there is a problem with the air conditioning or the air is not clean people with allergies or airway problems will notice it sooner, but you could be affected also (in a lesser degree).

Also allergies can change with age, I have problems with certain substances in the air but the degree of sensitivity changed with my age. During early childhood it was at its top, then minimal and resurfaced around the age of seventeen.

There could also be contagious diseases like the common cold, but that one cannot be avoided most of the times.

The best thing to do is keep your office well ventilated, open windows etc and go for a outside walk some time during the day.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 4:28 am

You cannot catch their allegies but if they are sneezing you may catch any germs they sneeze out at the same time and thus catch something else off them.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2009, 2:19 am

Technically you can epigenetically alter your DNA via environment to make you and or your offspring more susceptible to certain allergens.

barbara789
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2009, 4:36 am

Cool Advice

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2009, 12:27 pm

technically you can also catch germline mutations due to a lucky gamma ray.

allergies can't be contagious if they were vaccines were too due to both being a function of your immune system. (hmm infact this is possible if certain organisms would share antigens in some way for them to catch "bad antigens" but not on this planet)

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 1:52 pm

Are allergies contagious?

No.

Vanilla_Slice