Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NEWanderer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2008, 10:28 pm

fbug wrote:
Digger1, did you have a thyroid test done? If so, whoever did the test most likely only tested your TSH levels. This test is HORRENDOUSLY UNRELIABLE for measuring thyroid function. The minimum threshold for TSH levels for one to be declared hypothyroid is way to high, leading to a high number of false-negatives and does not necessarily correlate with actual thyroid hormone levels, which is what doctors should be testing.

Part of endocrine function analysis involves primary (actual organ) and secondary (pituitary). TSH (secondary) has historically been considered the most sensitive test for abnormalities. At my hospital usually thyroxine and free T4 are measured. T3 is measured sometimes, and seems to be increasing as an analyte. My understanding is that TSH is unreliable for sick inpatients.

fbug

31 Dec 2008, 2:25 am

NEWanderer wrote:

Part of endocrine function analysis involves primary (actual organ) and secondary (pituitary). TSH (secondary) has historically been considered the most sensitive test for abnormalities. At my hospital usually thyroxine and free T4 are measured. T3 is measured sometimes, and seems to be increasing as an analyte. My understanding is that TSH is unreliable for sick inpatients.

TSH is unreliable for all patients in assessing thyroid function. If doctors had a clue, they would only use TSH to assess pituitary function in order to rule out secondary hypothyroidism, and assess actual thyroid function using free T4 and free T3.

I'm not really autistic. The "professionals" who labeled me couldn't distinguish an anxiety disorder from a developmental disability. I'm just here to give advice to help prevent what was done to me from happening to anyone else.

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2009, 8:19 am

Agree with fbug, TSH FREE T4 FREET3 also Reverse T 3 for a complete Thyroid Function Assessment....just got my results Friday... also included Thyroid Peroxidase Ab. and Antithyroglobulin ab. ( antibodies)......mine showed drastically high Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies am awaiting a call from my DR on Monday.
Tests requested by most GPs are useless as they only test TSH ( thyroid stimulating Hormone) ....which is extremely limited in assassing thyroid function.

NEWanderer

02 Oct 2009, 11:48 pm

Dancyclancy wrote:
Agree with fbug, TSH FREE T4 FREET3 also Reverse T 3 for a complete Thyroid Function Assessment....just got my results Friday... also included Thyroid Peroxidase Ab. and Antithyroglobulin ab. ( antibodies)......mine showed drastically high Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies am awaiting a call from my DR on Monday.
Tests requested by most GPs are useless as they only test TSH ( thyroid stimulating Hormone) ....which is extremely limited in assassing thyroid function.

It is limited but it is sensitive and preliminary. Treatment protocol is not going to be based on TSH alone. It is the free T3 and T4 that are active; but, in the absence of total levels clinically significant shifts in binding proteins may be missed.

I think rT3 would be an unusual test to be performed at a hospital laboratory. I'm not sure if that's even done at most regional reference laboratories. I think it would be useful in chronic disease as well as athletes. It has been shown elevated in highly trained endurance athletes.

Autoimmune conditions can sometimes be spotted a mile away. Physical exam and patient history will certainly affect what tests are ordered.

Screening tests can often be either simply a qualitative or quantitative tests, with further testing based on preliminary results.

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2009, 1:03 am

Hi NEWanderer! Yes I doubt rT3 test would be done in most hospital or pathology labs, it is necessary to find an Intergrative Pathology Lab, I don't know which country you are from but here, in OZ , it was not easy to find help in this area. I also have ME/CFS so that was what led me to research alternatives.

NEWanderer

04 Oct 2009, 12:05 am

Dancyclancy wrote:
Hi NEWanderer! Yes I doubt rT3 test would be done in most hospital or pathology labs, it is necessary to find an Intergrative Pathology Lab, I don't know which country you are from but here, in OZ , it was not easy to find help in this area. I also have ME/CFS so that was what led me to research alternatives.

I'm in USA. The reference lab that my hospital is currently phasing out tests for rT3 I think only at their main lab in the Midwest. We don't test for Free T3 either on site as it's not part of a test group for insurance purposes here in this country. My for profit hospital couldn't break even on it right now.

Can you clarify ME/CFS? Chronic fatigue syndrome?

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2009, 12:15 am

Yes NE Wanderer ME/CFS is chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome ( CFIDS).
In UK known predominately as ME/CFS /CFIDS, also known as Post viral Syndrome.

NEWanderer

11 Oct 2009, 4:59 am

Dancyclancy wrote:
Yes NE Wanderer ME/CFS is chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome ( CFIDS).
In UK known predominately as ME/CFS /CFIDS, also known as Post viral Syndrome.

Thanks. What does ME stand for? If that term is used here in the US it must be pretty esoteric. I read as far as the abstract of the recent study linking the retrovirus XMRV to CFS.

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2009, 6:34 pm

ME= Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
NEWanderer the above is what ME in ME/CFS stamds for.........