Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Blade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2009, 7:16 pm

In weight training, Im really stong! I hate to brag but, Im one power house! I weigh 154lbs 8O .
Honestly alot of people make jokes that im on steriods. im okay with it

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 10:24 pm

Yeah, I'm 160 - something. I can naturally bench press over 200 lbs, in spite of being relatively skinny (see avatar). I only lift occasionally to stay in shape. I always found it odd that I was much stronger than many men who were much larger than I. Regarding the whole bragging thing, it is much different to bluntly state the truth than to brag about something. Sadly, most neurotypicals (who tend to be obsessed with appearing mediocre, while simultaneously/contradictorily scrambling for a high position within the social heirarchy) don't understand that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:24 am

Though that's not my forte, I'm very proud of the both of you. :)

Blade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2009, 11:45 am

:) thanks :)

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2009, 10:14 am

Nice job, to the both of you. :)

What is your routine? I do a three day split: back/bi...chest/tri....shoulder/legs

I've been reading that a four day routine, broken down into upper/lower with heavy/light days is better for gains. I'm still researching though.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 5:43 pm

I tend to be able to lift a lot of weight too. I'm a pretty thick guy for my height and weight (5'9", right now i'm about 170lbs but i'll be losing 10-15lbs over the next few months). I haven't really benched in a long time, and when i did it wasn't for very long or very often, but in my first year of university I could rep 200-220. I've yet to see what my max squat is (I haven't done weights in a while because I'm really strong and there are much more gains to be made in my sport with aerobic work) but I've leg pressed over 800lbs for 6 or 7 reps, and that was 3 or 4 years ago, before i started training really hard (2 rowing practices a day, some days I'd be doing 4 or 5hrs of cardio), I could probably blow that out of the water now, I've probably added about a pound of muscle to my legs this summer.

Blade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2009, 4:50 pm

well i lift 180 lbs on the military bench presses a day :rambo: . im pretty shocked

DeadFire87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2009, 9:51 am

I can't lift much right now, but I have been working out more and hope to get started with a bench and weights as well. I have lost about 20 lbs in the last month or two. I am down to 200 lbs now and hope to lose another 20-40 pounds. So far I have only lifted like 10 pounds at my cousin's house on his bench. I don't know how much that really is with two 10s on the sides of the bar. Its where I am at though at the moment. :) I am beginner to weights and stuff.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:51 am

Well keep it up and you'll get where you want to be. I was almost 200lbs at the end of high school and now I'm on the varsity lightweight (<160lbs) rowing team at my university.

Since you're just starting I'll give you a bit of advice:
1) DON'T NEGLECT CARDIO, it's the best way to lose weight through exercise, and you only burn more calories the better you get. I can burn over 1000Cal in one workout, that's more than half what lots of people eat in a day. If you want to lose weight do cardio.

2) Work your core. Whether you're fit or not, core work will help any fitness goals you have. Your core is the center of all your power, everything works around it so if it's not strong, everything else will be weaker. Some basic core workouts are sit ups/crunches, front plank, side plank, leg lifts and back extensions. There are so many ways to work your core, all you have to do is type it into google and you'll get plenty. Another great exercise that works your core is the overhead squat, but that's a pretty advanced workout for you right now.

3) Don't neglect any part of your body, ESPECIALLY YOUR LEGS. It may be tempting to work mainly your glamor muscles (chest, arms, shoulders, back) because they grow quickly and they're the most visible but have you ever seen a guy with big arms and nothing else? Looks pretty funny eh. You will look a lot more solid with slightly smaller arms but a well proportioned body than if you're lacking somewhere, you'll also be better suited for most sports. One thing I can say about your leg workouts is squat, squat, squat. Squats are the best leg exercises and there are a lot to choose from. Start with the typical back squat, once you've got that technique down, try doing front squats. You'll probably find them harder and you won't be able to lift as much weight but it's worth it, they require more stability so you recruit more muscles, mainly from your core stabilizers. Once you're good at those and if you're feeling a bit adventurous, try overhead squats. As I said before they're the ultimate squat, they require so much more stability because you're holding the bar over your head, and they will work muscles all over your body.

4) The last thing I'm going to say is don't hurt yourself. Get someone with lots of experience, a personal trainer is good if you've got the money, to show you the ropes. It's easy to hurt yourself with bad form, I once hurt my back doing cleans and it took over 2 months to completely heal, so learn proper technique and don't overdo it with weight, it's better to lift less properly than lift more poorly. Do your research and take what that roid monkey beside you is telling you with a grain of salt. I've seen a lot of really big people lift really badly, so try to get someone who really knows what they're doing, not just the biggest guy in the gym, to tell you what to do.

Blade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2010, 7:15 pm

now i can lift 210lbs :o

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 5:10 pm

Back in the day, I used to be able to bench in excess of 300 lbs.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Encapsulated within a skull; covered in sheets of skin

01 May 2010, 11:05 pm

I can wrist curl 50 pound dumbbells for more than 10 reps. :viking: I'm only ~145 pounds.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 9:17 am

I'm useless at weight lifting with arms and can handle about 60kg, but my legs can carry about 120kg weirdly enough. ;)