Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 3:20 pm

For some time, I have had flem so thick going down, that it sometimes blocks my air passage. I usualy spit it out, and sometimes it's fluffy white looking. Lately, I have been spitting out the occasional tiny green ball. Usualy after I cough. I just pulled out another from my mouth. They are firm. It feels like chunkes of food, but they aren't that. The other night I spat out two of these seed sized things. It was a light plastic green with tiny yellow spots on the bigger one. Later, they softened into dark green balls after being in the trash can sometime.

Today, this one was pasty like, still tiny and seed sized. It had varying colors of green. I squished it, it felt like floud in water. I think this might be comming from my lungs. I don't feel wierd, aside from my body's usual tolerance of alergy meds. I felt sickly yesturday though, to a mild degree.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 5:57 pm

Sounds like a sinus or bronchial infection, possibly bacterial--you should see a doctor, especially if it seems to be getting worse. You don't want to get pneumonia.

From what I remember, clear phlegm is okay--usually just a minor cold or allergy. But if it is yellow or greenish-yellow, infection is indicated.

Not a pleasant subject, but hey--we're all human (or possibly mutant), and we all get sick sometimes. :eew:

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2009, 6:56 pm

Yellow or green does not always mean an infection. Most of the time it just means exposure to air. I used to think that too, my doctor corrected me on that.

It might not be a bad idea to get looked at, though. Just because it's so annoying. It might actually be some kind of infection. In case it isn't, have you tried irrigating your nose? My doctor recommended it to me for my chronic rhinosinusitis (acts like allergies but there are no allergies). It sounds really gross, but it feels better if you do it. There's a squeeze bottle that you mix a salt/baking soda solution in, and then squirt it up your nose on both sides. Then blow your nose and see how much crud you have washed out. It is better than a nose spray, even a saline one, because it goes where a spray can't. The brand is Neilmed. Cost about 10 bucks at Wal-mart with a bunch of packets of solution. I'm afraid I sound like a commercial, but I had chronic phlegm and post-nasal drip that made me cough all the time, and now I don't!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 10:26 pm

Thanks again. It never would dawn on me to try that in my nose. I'll keep that in mind. I am still thinking about getting checked out.