Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 7:54 am

I'm stumped i don't like being this thin i'd like to have more weight on my face and body but in the last year i've gone from over 12 stone or 12 1/2 to 11stone. My face has thinned out and my body has lost it's bulk. Thing is whatever i eat i'm usually pretty hungry soon after :(

I'm 30 and 5ft 8" and suffer from a 5cm hitial hernia

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 8:35 am

Translation:
You used to weigh between 168 and 175 lbs and now you weigh only 154 lbs.

Your weight of 154 lbs is just about perfect for someone who is only 5'-8". But still, losing weight despite eating well is indicative of a medical problem assuming there is nothing obvious to explain it such as more physical exercise, hot weather, etc.. If you continue to lose weight, you might want to see a doctor.

If you are also urinating a lot more than normal, then you might have diabetes. Or if you are pooping more than normal, then there is pancreatic cancer. The latter can sometimes be felt as a hard mass in your belly under the middle of the ribcage.

Also, certain vitamins in excess can cause weight loss. I once got down to about 110 lbs because i was taking about 50,000 units of vitamin A every day.

Drugs like Ritalin can cause weight loss, but they also cause loss of appetite which you said you didn't have.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry too much right now, but if it continues, you should probably see a doctor. Its probably nothing. But the last thing you should do is try to eat more and make yourself fat.

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 8:40 am

Thankyou for the well thought out and informative post n4mwd :)

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:48 am

Eat lots of McDonald's.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:53 am

Give up all stimulants.

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm

Science_Guy wrote:
Eat lots of McDonald's.

Burger King it is then :lol:

takemitsu wrote:
Give up all stimulants.

Aww damn :x :lol:

Brandon_M
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2010, 3:28 pm

There is a product I used to use called Serious Mass to bulk up. They sell it at any GNC store. It's the only one that really worked for me but I took it for about 6 months and gained about 30 lbs. off of it. Combine with workout though for best results.

Genetic dispositions suck sometimes, don't they?

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 8:30 pm

You could also get poison ivy and get prednisone shots for it.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 9:33 pm

takemitsu wrote:
You could also get poison ivy and get prednisone shots for it.

Yikes. Cortisone and corticosteroid shots screw up your immune system and bones. Its best to avoid them if you can.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

Yeah, but if your like me, once you get the poison ivy, you'll do just about anything to get rid of it.

JLee50
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2010, 12:34 am

Can you lift weights with your hernia?

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-weig ... inny-guys/

I went from 144.5lb to 160lb in four weeks. :)

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2010, 1:51 am

Peanut butter is energy dense and a lot better for you than McDonalds. Nuts in general are healthy and high in calories.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 4:21 pm

McDonalds will do it (remember the movie "Supersize Me") but that is fat gain and the worst thing you can do to yourself. Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with you, go to the gym and work out with weights and eat a bulking up diet. There are people there that can help you. Stay away from aerobic exercise (treadmills, bicycles, swimming, etc.) Those are for fat people trying to lose weight. Your goal should be to add muscle not fat.

Simply not being fat is a significant social advantage. Its also helpful to get jobs. Muscle mass is only a plus and not a requirement. Being fat is a serious negative. If you insist on gaining weight, please do it by adding muscle mass. Some skinny guys work out at the gym and still fail to add muscle mass and resort to anabolic steroids or human growth hormone. I can't recommend them, but I can't deny that they work either. Steroids are temporary for the most part. If you stop taking them, you muscles vanish and get replaced by fat. Take them for too long and your chest turns into an ugly barrel and you find yourself permanently sterile. Growth hormones are permanent, but not as dramatic as steroids. They can also disfigure your face. That's why I say that I can't recommend them.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2010, 8:54 pm

Fast food like mcdonalds is not nearly as bad for you as they make out. Its not the best quality/most nutricious food, but its not really bad for you.

The sugary drinks/deserts are bad. And excessive Sodium can be bad if you have blood pressure problems.

90% of body composition issues can be handled with diet. Lifting weights will help insure that weight you put on is muscle rather than fat though.

Drink milk, lots of milk.

Milk is the perfect food for making mammals grow big, quickly.

Seattle_Chris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2010, 6:49 am

I'll second the Milk notion. Milk is the perfect weight gainer. I don't know about over their, but here in the states there is supposedly a lot of growth hormones/steroids in the milk from what we give the cows. Milk is super high in carbs, and full of good stuff.

Fat greasy food and sugary food worked for me growing up (not that I was TRYING to get fat or nothin'). Pizza, Ice Cream, Soda Pops, etc. etc.

But if you want to look good while gaining weight, do whatever exercise you can with your hernia while drinking Milk and eating a lot of red meat. Getting your testosterone up is a great way of helping to look and feel healthy. Assuming you're a guy. :)