World Cup winners 2018 and 2022 annouced shortly

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 4:22 am

Which countries do u reckon will win the right to host the World Cup in 2018 and 2022?

FalconPunch39
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm

I just got the news

2018: Russia

2022: Qatar

Here were the results:

2018 FIFA bidding (majority 12 votes)

Russia: 9 votes (1st round), 13 votes (2nd round)

Portugal/Spain: 7 votes (1st round), 7 votes (2nd round)

Belgium/Netherlands: 4 votes (1st round), 2 votes (2nd round)

England: 2 votes (1st round), eliminated (2nd round)

2022 FIFA bidding (majority 12 votes)

Qatar: 11 votes (1st round), 10 votes (2nd round), 11 votes (3rd round), 14 votes (4th round)

United States: 3 votes (1st round), 5 votes (2nd round), 6 votes (3rd round), 8 votes (4th round)

South Korea: 4 votes (1st round), 5 votes (2nd round),5 votes (3rd round), Eliminated (4th)

Japan: 3 votes (1st round), 2 votes (2nd round), Eliminated (3rd), Eliminated (4th)

Australia: 1 vote (1st round), Eliminated (2nd), Eliminated (3rd), Eliminated (4th)

Last edited by FalconPunch39 on 03 Dec 2010, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FalconPunch39
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 9:22 am

I know Russia has great stadiums, but I heard Its super cold during the June-July season in Russia, so we will wait and see. And I was surprised Qatar beat England in WC hosting even with the "New Wembley", now Qatar have all the time in the world to create new stadiums.

Personally I wanted Portugal to host 2018 alone not with Spain as they already hosted 1982, and I'm not really not in favor of conjoined hosts. Plus Portugal hosted Euro Cup 2004 which was a success. And when it comes to 2022, I wanted Australia to host, pretty much because FIFA World Cup has never hosted in Oceania. And it would be a great gift for the Socceroos.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 1:17 pm

I didnt even know that they had picked the countries until I saw the front page paper today. Definitly a surprise. I was actually expecting England in 2018 and Australia in 2022. But the choices of Russia and Qatar are rather unexpected but should be interesting.

So many Americans are PO'd about losing to an Arab nation. I'm still amazed we even got to host a World Cup back in 94. Just face it, we just aint soccer country. :P

CraigBwfc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

IMHO, football (soccer) actually has quite a large following from the US as a whole, America is just such a big place with many different styles and cultures, its easy to think football is less popular than it actually is when comparing it to the "massive" sports over there.

In reverse, American football actually has a good following from the UK, you just wouldn't know it if you always compared it to soccer...

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 7:27 am

Yeah I pretty much predicted Russia to win the rights to host, as their bid had the most potential for increasing the game economically. Both Spain and England are already at saturation point in terms of how much money is spent on the sport. Russia is an untapped market and with a big population and I suppose FIFA couldn't resist the chance of making some big bucks. (again)

Same with Qatar. The talk now is that the summer temperatures are too high to play in and so the stadiums need to be air conditioned or even perhaps the tournament being moved to winter (in Qatar). Personally I just think a whole lot of favours were done for FIFA by rich Qataris to get the vote. I think Australia or the US would have been a better option, but seeing that the US hosted it in 1994, I think Australia would have been the best bet personally.

It just shows money talks.