Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:25 pm

I'm very susceptible to colds and the like and I'm not quite sure why, to tell you the truth. I eat fairly well although I am very overweight, the pounds are dropping off me and the moment (lost 6lb this week after a lengthy period of stabilisation). I go for walks every day. My mum insists that it is to do with the fact that a) I don't get enough exercise and b) that, each morning, when I get up I'm on the computer first thing. I think that it is balderdash in much the same way that I think that getting infections walking around barefoot is balderdash.

So who is right? :)

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:35 pm

It may depend on several other factors.

How well do you sleep at night?

How clean is your home and self hygiene? (plus is there anything over clean, i.e coated in chemicals?)

Do you take any medications at all?

What is your average day to day diet?

All these things will contribute and could help others to help answer your concerns.

I am happy to offer advise but I aim to offer only guidance as it is hard to give out concrete "facts" without potentially being misleading over the internet.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:58 pm

I generally sleep too much rather than not enough, though I do wake up multiple times during the night with unseemly regularity.

My home is clean. I have a bath each day.

I no longer take any medication.

Average day-to-day diet is a little out of whack at the moment due to my gastric band but will return to normal eventually. I feel tired even when it is 'normal' though.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

How much sugar do you eat? Try reducing and try to avoid processed foods too.

Also extending the time you go for a walk in the morning, plus repeating it in the middle of the day could help too.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:55 pm

Just last night I read an article in a Chinese newspaper about the connection between reduced stomach acid and sinus/upper respiratory tract infections.
This interested me as I am taking protein pump inhibitors [medication] as treatment for a hiatus hernia and was alarmed to read that I am also at higher risk of developing osteoporosis too.

Perhaps your gastric band is upsetting your stomach acid levels ? I always ensure garlic and ginger capsules are taken daily so perhaps that is why I don't get colds so much.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:13 pm

CosmicRuss wrote:
Just last night I read an article in a Chinese newspaper about the connection between reduced stomach acid and sinus/upper respiratory tract infections.
This interested me as I am taking protein pump inhibitors [medication] as treatment for a hiatus hernia and was alarmed to read that I am also at higher risk of developing osteoporosis too.

Perhaps your gastric band is upsetting your stomach acid levels ? I always ensure garlic and ginger capsules are taken daily so perhaps that is why I don't get colds so much.

Forgot to mention that one. Balancing body PH plays a vital role in health.

See this for more information:
http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/a ... _list.html