Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

cullin8s
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2013, 7:26 pm

I have an allergy to regular bread like white sliced bread, hot dog or hamburger buns etc, but I do not have the reaction to flat bread. I thought maybe there was no yeast in flat bread and that might be the difference, but on the ingredients it shows yeast even in the flat bread. Does anyone know what might be different between these two that could be the source of my reaction? I'm trying to figure it out to know what other foods to stay away from. Thanks in advance.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

White bread typically refers to breads made from wheat flour from which the bran and the germ layers have been removed (and set aside) from the whole wheatberry as part of the flour grinding or milling process, producing a light colored flour. This milling process can give white flour a longer shelf life by removing the natural oils (and many of the vitamins and nutrients) from the whole grain. Removing the oil allows products made with the flour, like white bread, to be stored for longer periods of time avoiding potential rancidity.

The flour used in white breads may be bleached, that is lightened further, by the use of chemicals such as potassium bromate, azodicarbonamide, or chlorine dioxide gas to remove any slight, natural yellow shade and make its baking properties more predictable. Some flour bleaching agents are banned from use in some countries.

vs.

A flatbread is a simple bread made with flour, water, and salt and then thoroughly rolled into flattened dough. Many flatbreads are unleavened — made without yeast or sourdough culture — although some flatbread is made with yeast, such as pita bread.

Maybe it's not the ingredients but the processing that is creating a reaction in you.

cullin8s
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm

good point, thank you. I'll have to do some more testing