Trying to put gain a bit of muscle ..but

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CuriousNotion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

My gym is only open at certain periods .. trying to go 3-4 times a week to gain muscle in the upper body .

Whats the best food to have after the gym (I heard protein after gym training rebuilds the muscle's) ? I originally was thinking of whey protein but decided that it could be rather dangerous if I have a bad reaction to it . I had a protein shake once and it was fine but cost too much for the size.. At the moment Im thinking of bringing a brown bread roll and making a sandwich with tinned tuna or another fish..would this help me gain a bit of muscle?

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2011, 8:44 am

Yes, the idea is to get protein after a work out and during your meals. So, try to get 20+ grams of protein per meal and after working out. Lean meats (chicken and fish) are great. Soy is also a good alternative, especially if you dislike meat.

For whey protein, nothing fancy is needed. Just go buy the Bodyfortress whey powder from Wal-Mart. Not only is it cheap but if you mix it with milk (another good protein source), it'll end up tasting good. The chocolate powder makes it taste like a chocolate milkshake.

If you want, you could even eat burgers the entire time. As long as you fill your quota, you'll get bigger.

Milk
Fruits and Veggies
Breads/Grains: Whole grains, multigrains, brown rice
Meats: Fish, chicken, maybe eggs

TheNiteOwl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

CuriousNotion wrote:
My gym is only open at certain periods .. trying to go 3-4 times a week to gain muscle in the upper body .

Whats the best food to have after the gym (I heard protein after gym training rebuilds the muscle's) ? I originally was thinking of whey protein but decided that it could be rather dangerous if I have a bad reaction to it . I had a protein shake once and it was fine but cost too much for the size.. At the moment Im thinking of bringing a brown bread roll and making a sandwich with tinned tuna or another fish..would this help me gain a bit of muscle?

Beyond diet, stick to large, compound movements, like squats. This is important if you are a beginner. Compound movements will work multiple muscle groups at once. This stimulates grown in a major way. Just watch yourself for correct form to prevent injury.

Stronglifts.com is a great place to start!

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

From my knowledge, protein shakes get their protein from whey powder anyway and it is much cheaper to make it up and flavour it yourself. You might have to fiddle to get the balance right though - but it would be better than a raw egg shake Rocky style.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 8:07 am

The best source of protein is something that is easy to digest before a workout, soy beans, egg whites or yoghurts are particularly good for this.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

Quinoa is also a good source of protein.And having say a soy based smoothie.I use soy powder or VEGA protein powder.I've got shoulders,biceps and thighs all of a sudden! :lol: 8O

Vale

21 Oct 2011, 6:09 am

Whats your bodytype? Your diet will depend a lot on that. Rest is a really important aspect of training, make sure you get enough recovery time. I would stick with a little over a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight as a beginner. Stick to compound movements like bench, squats and deads. Dips, military presses, pullups are all great exercises too.

Protein shakes are really conveniant but real food is always preferable. Oh and please don't go and buy a load of supplements from gnc, it's all snakeoil. The only over the counter supplement of any use is meal replacement, everything else is useless.

Phew
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2011, 8:03 am

protein shakes ! ! big mass shakes, creatine + carbo-fuel.

eat healthy food!! ! :)

GoldCoinLover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

CuriousNotion wrote:

You need to use something called progressive overload to build mass, basically you want to shock the muscles so they grow. Start slow and use stronglifts 5x5. That's what I'm using too.

Use compond lifts. Works all your body parts at once. Download the stronglifts PDF on their website and read it carefully. It talks about this.

If've heard that if you do not use progressive overload while gaining, in combination with calorie surplus, it won't work as well. So, what I suggest and what someone told me to do is, start with the empty bar, maintain your weight and once you get to your personal bests with the weights , then begin the bulk process.