Page 5 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Think about it: a pound of body weight is 3,500 calories. Over a three-day weekend, you'd have to eat 1,166 more calories per day than whatever amount you break even at, just to gain that pound. Of course, fat is a factor too, but it's the same basic minimal increase.

1,166 is nothing! A big bowl of my favorite lentil soup equals that.

Well, a 10-ounce serving of lentil soup is 200. Are you talking about a 58-ounce serving?

ValentineWiggin wrote:
2 slices of cake

Very rich cake, yes. But the richer something is, the less I usually have of it. Not so much by restraint as by my feeling more quickly full when I eat rich things. My system seems to more or less detect high-calorie foods, and I feel full after I've had them.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
one of lasagna

That would be a pretty big serving.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
I say all this because I think there's a myth that one can gain 5 or 10 pounds by letting themselves go over the holidays -- but that doesn't add up, unless you're making it your personal mission to eat the entire Thanksgiving turkey and the entire multi-person Christmas dinner.

It's happened to me before, just eating a similar amount to everyone else. Probably less, calorically, my being vegan. I gained around twenty pounds in three days, over Christmas, a few years ago ('09?)...I had to go buy some new cheap-o jeans to wear home because I literally couldn't get the others past my knees.
I thank the same slow metabolism that causes me to battle weight in the first place.

You ate 70,000 calories in just 3 days? That is gorging, stuffing, inhaling food. That's not normal, or even normal elevated eating. We're talking vacuum hose.

What my point was is that most people, myself included, if their bodies are very accustomed to receiving, say, 2,500 calories per day, their bodies cannot and do not suddenly accept ... (doing math...) ... 20,833 more per day! Maybe some people can go into the eating equivalent of warp speed -- and if that's true, then I would amend my earlier post to reflect that. My body more or less requires a day-to-day consistency. If I get to where I'm eating too much, it is always a slow, multi-week increase to whatever level -- not an immediate explosion of mastication. It's very hard for me to imagine that.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I hit 117.2 today, though. :D

Congrats on that. :)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

Ragtime wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Think about it: a pound of body weight is 3,500 calories. Over a three-day weekend, you'd have to eat 1,166 more calories per day than whatever amount you break even at, just to gain that pound. Of course, fat is a factor too, but it's the same basic minimal increase.

1,166 is nothing! A big bowl of my favorite lentil soup equals that.

Well, a 10-ounce serving of lentil soup is 200. Are you talking about a 58-ounce serving?

One small can of my favorite kind is 330 something, actually.
Maybe that's enough to make a meal for some people?
Not sure. It takes about two for me to start to feel not hungry, and I usually crack open a third a half hour later, because my tummy's still grumbly.
Although that's not a particularly calorie-dense food for the volume, so it's probably a bad example on my part.

RagTime wrote:
Very rich cake, yes. But the richer something is, the less I usually have of it. Not so much by restraint as by my feeling more quickly full when I eat rich things. My system seems to more or less detect high-calorie foods, and I feel full after I've had them.

Well, we're talking about holidays as a time of indulgence- I don't know...I don't think many people would consider two slices of cake going overboard in a celebratory atmosphere, but in terms of calorie content, it definitely is. My brother, boyfriend, and dad might have three slices of that cake, for example...and one of another...and pie...potatoes...ham...buttered rolls...cheesy casserole dishes...you get the picture. I have no doubt in my mind that my boyfriend and brother both probably ate 7,500 calories at one meal this past Christmas. People with fast metabolisms can do that. Being around people who don't diet can cause dieters to fall off the wagon and indulge. I definitely don't have the "fullness" thing when I eat high-calorie stuff, only when I eat high-density foods. I just want more and more because it tastes delicious!

Ragtime wrote:
That would be a pretty big serving.

That's all it takes- a few days of less strict dieting.

Ragtime wrote:
You ate 70,000 calories in just 3 days? That is gorging, stuffing, inhaling food. That's not normal, or even normal elevated eating. We're talking vacuum hose.

I have an extremely slow metabolism.
I probably ate no more than 3,000 a day.
If I remember correctly, I likely had one breakfast with all the guilty-pleasure foods, and one dinner, and then two days after of eating leftovers twice a day. This is in contrast to my usual diet of salad and water, on which I was maintaining my weight. So yes, a deviation that large from normal habits, regardless of how it affects some people, can spell diet disaster for others who battle weight.

RagTime wrote:
What my point was is that most people, myself included, if their bodies are very accustomed to receiving, say, 2,500 calories per day, their bodies cannot and do not suddenly accept ... (doing math...) ... 20,833 more per day!

Well, this being the dieter's thread, I assumed we were talking about people for whom 2,500 calories per day would be an extreme indulgence. For much of my life, that would represent a week's worth of calories. I'm admittedly an extreme case, but 1500 is not an unheard of amount for doctors to recommend per day for weight loss, nor even 1200. (That's the bare minimum, I believe, recommended by clinicians.)

RagTime wrote:
Maybe some people can go into the eating equivalent of warp speed -- and if that's true, then I would amend my earlier post to reflect that. My body more or less requires a day-to-day consistency. If I get to where I'm eating too much, it is always a slow, multi-week increase to whatever level -- not an immediate explosion of mastication. It's very hard for me to imagine that.

Right. When I indulge, it's in direct contrast to the extreme deprivation I have to endure day-to-day just to not gain.
So on a once a year holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving, when I permit myself to eat, it's probably multiplying my caloric intake times 5, at the very least. Again, I have metabolic problems, but that's the entire point of the holidays being a dieter's waterloo- they allow themselves a "break" from year round strict control, and indulge, and more often than not, they eat in proportion to what they've wanted for months and months and denied themselves, thus resulting in serious weight gain.

RagTime wrote:
Congrats on that. :)

Am pretty stoked!! !

to his Interest."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Well, this being the dieter's thread, I assumed we were talking about people for whom 2,500 calories per day would be an extreme indulgence. For much of my life, that would represent a week's worth of calories. I'm admittedly an extreme case, but 1500 is not an unheard of amount for doctors to recommend per day for weight loss, nor even 1200. (That's the bare minimum, I believe, recommended by clinicians.)

I break even at 2,500, and I diet and lose at 2,000. (Also cutting the fat grams as much as possible.)

ValentineWiggin wrote:
RagTime wrote:
Maybe some people can go into the eating equivalent of warp speed -- and if that's true, then I would amend my earlier post to reflect that. My body more or less requires a day-to-day consistency. If I get to where I'm eating too much, it is always a slow, multi-week increase to whatever level -- not an immediate explosion of mastication. It's very hard for me to imagine that.

Right. When I indulge, it's in direct contrast to the extreme deprivation I have to endure day-to-day just to not gain.
So on a once a year holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving, when I permit myself to eat, it's probably multiplying my caloric intake times 5, at the very least. Again, I have metabolic problems, but that's the entire point of the holidays being a dieter's waterloo- they allow themselves a "break" from year round strict control, and indulge, and more often than not, they eat in proportion to what they've wanted for months and months and denied themselves, thus resulting in serious weight gain.

Ah. Things make more sense now. I do that too (on a lesser scale) if I deprive myself too much -- which is why I'm not a strict dieter. I'm a proven successful dieter, but not an extreme one. Slow and steady. I give myself leeway precisely to avoid the kind of bounce-back-up that you're talking about. I make little deals with myself, but I stay fair with myself and the numbers. (That's probably the hardest way to diet.) I do that rather than stick to any rigid code.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:04 am

It's excellent you've found something that works for you!

to his Interest."

rparker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

Hi there,
Everyone has come up with such good suggestions here. Let me suggest another. Green leafy vegetables. Stuff your face with them at every opportunity possible. They are filling, great for you and will make you eat less of everything else. Worked great for me and I'm sure this simple model can work for anyone too.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

I've plateaued.
Frustrating.

to his Interest."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

^^^
everytime i get to 185 it feels like something inside me mightily resists and bumps my weight up another 5-10 # where i stay for a good long time before a frenzied burst of 2-3 hour workouts and ODing on H20 budges the scale needle back down.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I've plateaued.
Frustrating.

auntblabby wrote:
everytime i get to 185 it feels like something inside me mightily resists and bumps my weight up another 5-10 # where i stay for a good long time before a frenzied burst of 2-3 hour workouts and ODing on H20 budges the scale needle back down.

Both of your solutions lie in being more gradual in your particular weight-loss regimens.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Both of your solutions lie in being more gradual in your particular weight-loss regimens.

i thought a year was quite gradual enough. :hmph:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

Ragtime wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
I've plateaued.
Frustrating.

auntblabby wrote:

I'm still just trying to get back to a pre-Christmas weight. Er, was, last night's pizza aside. >.< :oops:

Edit: And tonight's spring rolls and asparagus. :(

to his Interest."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:46 am

i'm just battling the annual winter weight gain.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:57 am

I've lost 7 pounds since Christmas!

"Eat less; exercise more" really works!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

:wtg:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

Fnord wrote:

I'm jealous. It's taken me since about August to lose eight pounds. :(

I'm starting at a gym on Tuesday, though, so am hopeful it will help.

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

Fnord wrote:

Yeah but how much less do you eat, and how much more do you exercise?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

snapcap wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yeah but how much less do you eat, and how much more do you exercise?

Usually people who say that are just talking about cutting out soda or junk food or something- they're not people who usually struggle with weight.

I average maybe 500 calories a day, walk at least 2.5 miles daily, and I'm struggling just to maintain.

to his Interest."