Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 4:23 pm

I've been on the paleo diet, where you eat virtually no grains or grain/legume based carbohydrates, for a month or two and even though I don't follow it strictly (I hate green leafy veggies, which are a critical part of true paleo, so I use white beans instead, and I use goat cheese for calcium even though some versions cut out all dairy, but usually they mean cow milk which is bad for many) I have lost a little weight and my voices (I have paranoid schizophrenia as a comorbid) have calmed down a lot. I do take meds for the schizo but they don't work as well when I eat carbs. I am gradually learning to cook for myself, and I am a sugar addict so cutting out sweets was the most difficult part, it took me a while. Has anybody else tried the paleo diet and what were your experiences if you did?

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2013, 10:04 pm

Look up the specific carbohydrate diet, or SCD... very similar to paleo.

Cutting out gluten and dairy have helped me immensely. You should try cooked greens or juicing- lots of good stuff in leafy greens.

I think a high protein diet with a good balance of omega 3 would help most people, ASD or not.

pixiedust12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2013, 11:27 am

I don't follow a strict paleo diet, but have found that a dairy-free and gluten-free diet low in simple sugars has really helps me, another friend I have with Aspergers has also found this diet really helps her too, she's the one who got me on it. Kudos for taking on the paleo, that's a hard diet to follow!!

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 4:30 am

My husband and I followed paleo very strictly for 4 months. We both lost weight and felt better but found it too restrictive. We have combined paleo with seasonal eating and do eat beans and corn on occasion. I have been gluten free for quite a few years.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

Try the GAPS diet, which is similar except it s a healing diet instead of a life-long diet.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:16 am

I am starting a ketogenic diet, very similar to paleo, combined with intermittent fasting. It is low carbohydrates, low to moderate proteins, high (healthy) fats. they avoid starches and generally restrict the carbohydrates to the ones found in the dairy and low carb greens with limited berries as a supplement, primarily for the antioxidants. The fats are healthy fats found in salmon & similar, grass fed/finished beef/pork/poultry/dairy, coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, ghe, etc. with liberal(healthy) fish oil supplementation.

The intermittent fasting restricts food intake to 7 or 8 hours each day, ending at least 3 hours before going to bed, and 1 to 2days each week without food at all (eventually). It will be nice if it helps with my AS issues also.