Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

I'm interested. Lately I've just been eating roasted chicken, rice, greens, lentil soup, stuff of that category, etc.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm

gorgeousdisaster wrote:
Cash__ wrote:
My cholesterol is way to high for that diet.

Cholesterol is not what's unhealthy or damaging. It's the inflammation caused by grain that makes cholesterol into a bad thing. If your insides (veins, arteries, GI system) aren't inflamed, then cholesterol is used by your body and what's no needed is excreted. My cholesterol falls in normal limits, my triglycerides are always in range (triglycerides are exogenous, really about what you've eaten recently), LDL is generally "calculated" and not measured anyway. Also my HDL (good cholesterol) is very high (high 60's to low 70's) which is good.

If people are concerned about heart health, C-reactive protein is the best and most specific marker for inflammation in the body. There is also a Cardio C-reactive protein which is even more specific. Inflammatory markers are a better measure of health and heart health in general than cholesterol.

Agreed. Inflammation plays a huge role. I read somewhere that 50% of people who get heart attacks don't even have high cholesterol. Inflammation played the bigger role.
Also the majority of cholesterol is produced by your own body. Something like 80% of it is produced by your own body while only 20% comes from the food you eat.
But believe when I say I don't need to consume anymore cholesterol then I already have. I am familiar with my cholesterol, my inflammation and all my other key indicators. I have my full analysis from my Doctor right here.

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Cholesterol doesn't come from cholesterol you eat. Unless you down a can of pig brain a day it won't effect you at all, even then only because of other factors. Your body's cholesterol is a result of a high carb high calorie diet, which packs on pounds of fat and hinder heart health. This is also because you don't get cardio. So to the guy with the cholesterol problem, you have that problem because you are avoiding meats in the first place and eating too many carbs, not the other way around.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:33 pm

Desurage wrote:
Cholesterol doesn't come from cholesterol you eat. Unless you down a can of pig brain a day it won't effect you at all, even then only because of other factors. Your body's cholesterol is a result of a high carb high calorie diet, which packs on pounds of fat and hinder heart health. This is also because you don't get cardio. So to the guy with the cholesterol problem, you have that problem because you are avoiding meats in the first place and eating too many carbs, not the other way around.

Apparently you don't know me, my diet for the first 40 years of my life or my exercise habits. Because if you did, you'd realize you're wrong on all accounts.

Sorry to say, the established medical industry says you do get 20-25% of your cholesterol from consuming animal products. Here is the quote from the america heart association:

Quote:
Cholesterol comes from two sources: your body and food. Your liver and other cells in your body make about 75 percent of blood cholesterol. The other 25 percent comes from the foods you eat. Cholesterol is only found in animal products.

Here is the URL, or go to any medical website and look it up;
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... rticle.jsp

Sorry if I take the established medical industries facts over your uneducated untrained in the subject opinions.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:52 pm

Wurzel wrote:
I think it is unlikely that the paleolithic were eating large amounts of meat. If you look at the Hadza in Tanzania, they average only one kill every thirty days per hunter. It is more likely that the paleolithic relied heavily on underground storage organs (USOs). It was USOs, not meat, that provided the energy for increased brain size.

You can not compare the catch of a modern day hunter with a hunter in the palaeolithic, there were rather a lot more animals around and far fewer hunters.

Hunting/fishing etc would have been much easier back then. If you look at historical records of fish catches in Canadian/US fishing waters, when Europeans first settled there men with tiny boats and fishing rods caught ten times as many fish as the modern fishing fleets with giant nets and high tech sonar catch today.

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

23 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

The Hadza operate in a game rich savanna woodland habitat. Early human-hunter scavengers probably did not do even as well as the Hadza, primarily because they lacked the projectile weapons that allow the Hadza to be as good as they are at both hunting and confrontational scavenging.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

Interesting thread. I had not heard of the "paleo" diet by that name, but for years I've tried to follow what I call my "East African savannah" diet. Pretty much the same thing as the paleo, from the sound of it.

I do know this ... the less processed it is, the better my body handles it. As someone said ... "if it can't spoil, it can't be good."

I also think that simply cutting out fast/junk food and soft drinks will account for 80% of diet-related obesity and health problems.

VicSage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

I'm interested in this diet and want to try it out sometime. I powerlift 3 times a week and consume a lot of calories. I wouldn't be able to afford this diet until I have a better job.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2012, 7:23 am

You have to eat something. Check out the paleo forums, because there are threads on the subject of paleo on a budget. You might be able to find a way to do paleo not too much more expensive than regular diet.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 10:48 am

Sounds like a diet you need to be already quite active for it to work. I'm trying to tone up and I'm just eating less and moving more, seems simple enough. And I'm swapping junky snacks with fruity ones, dry fruit is always good because it's super sweet but not too fattening, though I do have the odd treat sometimes, like a biscuit or two :P.
It seems to be working so far, I've gone from 10 stone 11 pounds to 10 stone 7 pounds. I'm trying to reach a target weight in the 9 stone range, I used to be that slim last year and thought I looked awesome. So I want to go back to that golden age. :lol:

riot_gun

09 Mar 2012, 12:56 am

I tried it for about a week. I've never been more hungry in my life, despite eating huge meals. It was awful.

coconapple

20 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

Wow I just found this thread today!
I have a journal on marksdailyapple (PM me for it), would love to make some wrongplanet Paleo friends... :)

Eating like this helped me with a lot of Asperger problems like:
✓ Brain fog
✓ Unable to think logically due to stress / sensory overload (for example, nearly putting my hand in a running blender, burning a hole on the laminate floor when I put a hot pot there)
✓ Clumsiness
✓ Anxiety / panic attacks
✓ Extreme sensitivity to noise
✓ Painful reaction to being touched
✓ Very very very bad reaction to even the slightlest pain (things that wouldn't bother other people)
✓ Depression
✓ Suicidal, this one is like night and day, I'm surprised I'm alive today...
(and other things not related to autism)

I actually only noticed I had Asperger's after I moved to USA and started eating bad food. I was so scared thinking I had MS or brain cancer! Finally I found out about Aspergers and stopped worrying. But everyone where I come from eats Paleo / WAPF so I was pretty much normal (non autistic), except being shy and ... gifted, I guess.

Cash__ wrote:
My cholesterol is way to high for that diet.

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... on-fats#hd
High cholesterol isn't always a bad thing. Having high Triglicerides and LDL type B is bad, *but* having high HDL and LDL of type A is very good for you!
You can ask any doctor and they will admit that's true. Unfortunately, most doctors only check the total number, so if it's over 200 they tell you it's bad, but it depends on a lot of factors.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/th ... #post63702
If you want to do some research on this, check out Chris Masterjon, Weston A. Price, Track Your Plaque websites.

Quote:
I also think that simply cutting out fast/junk food and soft drinks will account for 80% of diet-related obesity and health problems.

I ate "healthy" like that for many years, but low fat, high carb, and I was still very sick and fat. I only got better after eating high fat, low carb. (generally I eat about 80 to 100 carbs per day, all from vegetables)

Quote:
Sounds like a diet you need to be already quite active for it to work.

Nope, I sit on my ass all day and I still lost 30 pounds. All fat. I actually had very weak muscles and bones before this diet, now they are much stronger.

Quote:
I tried it for about a week. I've never been more hungry in my life, despite eating huge meals. It was awful.

That's generally because your body still expects carbs, you need to get over that "carb flu". After a few weeks it goes away. That's why there's the "Whole 30" challenge, because if they said to do it only for a week, most people would give up.

Also, what exactly did you eat? Some people think Paleo means "skinless chicken breast and spinach cooked on cooking spray", but if you do that you will be starving.
And it's kinda funny you say that, because right now my problem is that I'm NEVER hungry! I have to force myself to eat. For example if I eat breakfast (2 eggs with shredded meat plus vegetables, fried in 2 tablespoons bacon grease, for example), I'm not hungry until the next day, so I force myself to eat anyway.
Pre- paleo I had to eat every 30 minutes or I'd feel like I was going to black out.

Anyway.. yes.. would love to make some wrongplanet paleo friends!
And for those who are curious... http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 12:55 am

what did our ancestors most commonly die of though? I don't think it was cardiovascular disease, heart disease, diabetes, or obesity.

It was probably transmittable diseases that we have immunity to now, and the threat of of wild animals, natural disasters, food shortages, rival tribes.

I think the whole point of this diet is that scientifically our bodies haven't evolved enough past primitiveness to be able to fully digest some of the foods that have been invented over the last thousands of years.

I would be very curious if an indigenous tribesman possibly from brazil who had never eaten any processed food, would react to it (assuming he/she was a willing participant). I know when I eat say a 7-11 microwave burrito, I don't feel so well. and I almost always have terrible shitz. Most fast food this happens with anyway.

I'm trying this diet now with the exception that I am going to eat some grains and beans (legumes) but not majorly.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 1:09 am

Yeah but our ancestors probably didn't live as long or were not near as lazy. Certain stuff I can understand about saying our body isn't made to eat, lets say for example candy (or more exact, a hershey bar). But it just seems weird to me that bread or oatmeal is not included as okay.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2012, 3:21 am

*raises hand*

My entire family eats this way. Weight loss, better health and better mental function as a result — my brother, my dad and I have much less serious symptoms of AS, and my mother no longer suffers with bouts of depression.

It was tense.

coconapple

26 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

I gotta say, it's nice not having paranoia anymore.
Once in a while I ask my fiancé, just to tease him: "Hey, remember when I was so paranoid, every couple of weeks I'd make a huge scene over nothing and said we should break up?", and he cringes and asks me not to remind him of that ;P Oh my god... I was awful... I can't imagine what it must have been like for him.

Delphiki wrote:
Yeah but our ancestors [...] were not near as lazy.

I sit on my ass all day and I still got much, much healthier eating this way. Because I'm not active, I eat breakfast and lunch, and I'm not hungry until the next day. In fact, I eat so little because I'm never hungry, that I force myself to eat in fear that I'm not getting enough food!
My finance has a physical job, so he eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Quote:
it just seems weird to me that bread or oatmeal is not included as okay.

Is there any reason why they SHOULD? What can you get from grains that you can't get from other (much healthier) foods?

Bread and oatmeal are not easily digestible by humans. There are certain things one can do to make them easier to digest, like fermenting or soaking grains. However, most people don't ferment or soak their grains. Even so, with all the work we must do to grains so humans can "tolerate" it, should be enough to convince you that they're not meant for us.

Plus, if bread and oatmeal were okay, then why wouldn't pasta and other such things? Then we are back at square one... Standard American Diet.

A very old book (online), for those who have time to waste: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html