Question about industrial/scaffold piercing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

Google it if you don't know what it is. :)

I am going into town 2moro and I am freaking out over this piercing, because I want it but at the same time i don't want it. It's just that I hear of how it is not like any other ear piercing, and that it takes ages to heal. My ears are either sensitive or I just touch them too much with my hands, because each of my seven piercings had a sore period of being infected i think. So imagine that getting infected because the bar looks really wide too then the normal piercing.

Also how sore is it when you get it pierced? I remember when I was little that at the top of my ear when i got one piercing, I heard this crunch going through with the gun, and it was worse then the lobe. So how sore will it be getting that done this time with a needle?!

Also I want to make sure I am doing this for the right reason! I remember seeing this girl with it in at town once, but then i started to fancy this guy who is into heavy rock music, so that's when I really started to look up about it. Even though i am doing this for myself, a part of me thinks that deep down i am only doing this to impress him, and I would hate to think what would happen if he wasn't into girls with piercings like that, and I end up feeling like an idiot. :/ See i used to like rock when I was younger and went off it for a while, but then found myself getting back into rock again when i noticed my crush.

Also I noticed that emo and people into heavy metal get this piercing. even though I am into rock, my music taste is more diverse, like with pop and R&B, so im not really "emo" So could I still pull off this piercing, or will i look fake or something if I do?

Please help? thanks

The_Sleeper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

Stop worrying :). If you want it done just get it done. You'll look fine with it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 12:03 pm

if you're not sure, you can always wait and get it later if you then feel more certain.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

I had to Google it to know what it is. Sure gives me the heeby-jeebies, but I'm old and out of date and care little for fashion. But I wouldn't do something like that to myself if I had any doubt that it was 100% something I wanted for myself. Actually, I just wouldn't do that to myself, period. But you are you and you know best for you.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

I'd not get it if you're that doubtful about it. It'd hurt like hell, cost money, and again, hurt like hell, all over some guy you've not really even talked to yet.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

My approach to this would be think of it as how you'd think if you were getting a shot or getting blood drawn. Yeah, it won't feel the same way but the overall problem much more than anything tends to be anticipation and the fact that someone else has the object not you (I would have advised perhaps even doing it yourself but I'm not sure if there are additiona concerns with placement on this kind of thing).

My advice: do it. If it would look good, if you've wanted it, if it would express you better and its strictly the ancitipation of the event that has you bothered - it sounds like you would have more reason to do it than not to (unless you think the 'other people' thing is the overwhelming factor). If your strategy to getting bloodwork, a shot, or something like that would be looking away and just letting it happen out of site while trying to keep your muscles relaxed so you don't get any comments from the piercer about your anxiety to even elevate it more - go that route. Unless you're concerned more about not being able to take care of or sanitize it and needing to get part of your ear amputated (which you'd really have to let it go a long time looking and feeling awful) I get the impression that most of what you're struggling with is psychological and by the time the piercing is done and you just have the residual pain from the openings (probably even more buffered by the starting post closing the environment) the whole thing will essentially be over.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
My approach to this would be think of it as how you'd think if you were getting a shot or getting blood drawn. Yeah, it won't feel the same way but the overall problem much more than anything tends to be anticipation and the fact that someone else has the object not you (I would have advised perhaps even doing it yourself but I'm not sure if there are additiona concerns with placement on this kind of thing).

My advice: do it. If it would look good, if you've wanted it, if it would express you better and its strictly the ancitipation of the event that has you bothered - it sounds like you would have more reason to do it than not to (unless you think the 'other people' thing is the overwhelming factor). If your strategy to getting bloodwork, a shot, or something like that would be looking away and just letting it happen out of site while trying to keep your muscles relaxed so you don't get any comments from the piercer about your anxiety to even elevate it more - go that route. Unless you're concerned more about not being able to take care of or sanitize it and needing to get part of your ear amputated (which you'd really have to let it go a long time looking and feeling awful) I get the impression that most of what you're struggling with is psychological and by the time the piercing is done and you just have the residual pain from the openings (probably even more buffered by the starting post closing the environment) the whole thing will essentially be over.

Holy f**k, part of this is that there is more of a reason for getting this, and the fact that you figured that out is amazing. :o

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

Industrials are notoriously hard to heal due to their placement, the type of body part involved (cartilage), and the pressure that is usually inadvertently applied to both holes from a single piece of jewelry.

If you go to someone who knows what they're doing, they will either offer or be willing to do the two separate piercings and heal them with two individual pieces of jewelry in them, rather than inserting a single bar right away. This might not give you the look you want right away, but it will increase your chances of healing it dramatically.

If you are getting something larger in diameter than, say, a 14g piercing, I would consider asking your piercer about the possibility of using a disposable 'dermal punch' tool rather than a hollow point needle. Hollow point needles make a crescent-shaped hole, the convex side of which applies pressure to the jewelry going through it. A dermal punch is a tool used to take small skin samples by dermatologists (etc)...it's basically a tiny razor sharp cylinder at the end of a plastic handle. It cuts a clean circle out of the epidermis, and in the last decade or so has been used more commonly for piercing.

Also consider using a flexible material for the bar section of your jewelry, such as tygon. Or find a piercer who is competent enough to bend your barbell to fit the contours of your ear.