weak core muscles - help with gentle strengthening?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

I've got scoliosis - wore a back brace 23 hours a day for my teen years - when I came out of it I was very weak in my core muscles. I was never told to get physical therapy or anything. I tried doing weight training a year ago but got told my squat form was really bad - eventually got someone to video me and I could see straight away I was just collapsing at the waist and leaning too far forward. I stopped doing weights as I was scared I would hurt myself. I haven't been able to strengthen my core as things like sit ups, crunches and planks really hurt my lower back on one side. If I'm not careful I can get such bad DOMS in one side of my back that I can't even stretch it far enough to step into a car and have to just lie in bed for days.

I can't afford physical therapy, a trainer or medical help but I'm sooo sick of being weak. Obviously a part of my core muscle problems is an imbalance caused by the shape of my spine (spine is right over on the left side on my lower back - some muscles are stretched, some compressed). Does anyone happen to know a progression to strengthen core muscles - something easy and gentle that you can work on until you can progress to more aggressive and affective things?

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

Yoga, tai chi, or pilates. With a good teacher (don't try to figure it out on your own due to the risk of injury).

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

Laying on your back in bed and lifting both legs works your stomach. I would think that would take a lot of pressure off the back.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

Maybe unorthodox, but do deadlifts maybe? I don't know if that'd hurt less than crunches and whatnot, probably would. I know now I can do way more situps than before I started deadlifts and clean and jerks. What deadlifts do is they isometrically contract the abdominal muscles, to keep everything from not collapsing, and yeah... Lamar Gant is a famous powerlifter, he was 130 pounds or so, but he had a 600+ pound deadlift, but one thing about him was, he actually had scoliosis. Be careful with the deadlifts, as you can still hurt your back, but I'd say overall they're a lot less risky than squats. Worst case scenario in a deadlift usually, the bar just stays on the ground... Cleans and snatches, the Olympic lifts, are good for core strengthening, too, but I don't know if those are a bit much also.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:49 am

Deadlifts are the best core exercise there is. :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

Planks, wall sits, this kind of tiger stance that I can't remember the name of. I've got lots of suggestions.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:47 am

maybe swimming would be good? i guess it may be hard to focus on your core but if gentle is what you want then swimming could work?

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Swimming is a great suggestion!

I would really advise against lifting weights without a trainer to show you safe technique, given the nature of what you're battling back from.

invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

1000Knives and Kurgan - I like your answers best as I love deadlifts. I was trying to do the Starting Strength program and deadlifts was the only thing that was really progressing and I felt it was helping to decrease my general back pain. However I thought squats should be the foundation of your workout and without them I don't know that I'd properly support my body in deadlifts as I progressed?

This week I've been trying to work towards chin ups - my muscles in upper back and shoulders became so stiff that for years I couldn't just do a dead hang from a bar as it was so painful even for a second and thought I'd tear muscles. This week I've been progressively stretching out and hanging part of my body weight from the bar - yesterday I was able to hang my whole body weight a couple of times for about 3 seconds each time. I also did a couple of partial reverse chins. I'm really excited with this progress - felt like I'd never be able to even dead-hang again. So, if I could work up to doing actual chin ups - I know its supposed to activate your core muscles... any thoughts on if that'd be enough to start to strengthen my core for squats?