Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 10:14 pm

Since this is the board on health and fitness I thought I'd ask here. I hear walking is good for you etc. YA! Ok fine. But I have an issue. First and foremost I'm a couch potato outside of a trip to Walmart. I find it odd though a trip to Walmart,the mall or even all weekend at a themepark I'm FINE! Even NYC I was fine! Yet I can barely last 5 min. walking 1/2 mile to pick up my sister at the school down the road!! !!

Yet this past Sat/Sun we went to 2 Disney theme parks and while yes my feet were tired I wasn't. Why is it that a 1/2 mile walk is tiring yet Disney/Walmart/the mall isn't? BTW the 1/2 mile is on a road and uneven so I have to watch my feet since I do have a bad knee. I just find it odd places where I walked WAY MORE than 1/2 mile I'm not tired.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 10:48 pm

You were having fun so didn't notice the walk?

I attempted to walk more, I managed maybe 5 miles at most and felt exhausted...
...I recently took up geocaching and I can now easily manage 15 miles, I still get a little tired but I can go so much longer because I'm enjoying myself and I'm driven on to find the next cache, so much so I don't mind fitting in another couple of miles before heading home.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:17 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
You were having fun so didn't notice the walk?

I think that was probably the reason.

I walk 4 miles, three times a week, taking about 55 minutes to complete the walk on level ground.

I had to work up to doing that, starting with one mile a day, 5 times a week, taking 18 minutes to complete the walk. I was following a plan in a reputable book about walking for exercise, which gradually shortened the time, or increased the distance, until I was walking the 4 miles. The plan could take as much as 15 or 16 weeks if you were out of fitness.

I wear headphones while I walk so that I don't get bored, but I often spend much of the time composing lectures in my head about my special interests!

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 3:30 pm

I walk on average 2-3 miles a day. If you don't do much walking, it's best to start slow, like a mile a day and then increase gradually. Also, very important, get good supportive comfortable shoes. Not the walmart cheapies that fall apart after a month.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:26 am

Go for a nice looooooooooong walk!

Wear comfortable shoes, get a set of headphones and some music or podcast of your choice and hit the road.

I like taking walks, it gives me an excuse to get out of the house, and tune out for a while.

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:34 am

MADDuck wrote:
Go for a nice looooooooooong walk!

Wear comfortable shoes, get a set of headphones and some music or podcast of your choice and hit the road.

I like taking walks, it gives me an excuse to get out of the house, and tune out for a while.

Being a parent of a daughter who wears ear buds while listening to her tunes....be careful where you walk and be alert since you may not hear a biker or car approaching. Just being a paranoid parent that's all. :hmph: :wink:

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 2:07 pm

Very good idea, keep the tunes at a low volume, or just use one earbud and alway be alert!!