*"Physical Activity/Exercise Support Thread"*

Page 2 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

A runner here...

I currently have no mojo at all. I was informed on Friday that it's only 3 weeks until a 24 hour race with a group of friends... 8O

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2012, 4:53 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
A runner here...

I currently have no mojo at all. I was informed on Friday that it's only 3 weeks until a 24 hour race with a group of friends... 8O

Nice to seevanother runner on here! I'm prepping for a race too. Its long off though. I have another 3 months before it starts.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Someone tell me to get off my butt and go walking.

to his Interest."

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

Get of your butt and go walking :lol:

Walking is better if you've got somewhere to walk to though. I never go out to just "take a walk", but if there is some place I must go less than 1 hour away then I'll get going. Maybe it is easier if it has a purpose.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

Shatbat wrote:

Walking is better if you've got somewhere to walk to though. I never go out to just "take a walk", but if there is some place I must go less than 1 hour away then I'll get going. Maybe it is easier if it has a purpose.

That's what me and Kjas are arguing about exercise in general. It must have a point. Vague goals lead to vague results.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

1000Knives wrote:
That's what me and Kjas are arguing about exercise in general. It must have a point. Vague goals lead to vague results.

He who doesn't know where he's going will probably arrive somewhere else.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jul 2012, 2:34 am

1000Knives wrote:
Shatbat wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Someone tell me to get off my butt and go walking.
Get of your butt and go walking :lol: ... Walking is better if you've got somewhere to walk to though. I never go out to just "take a walk", but if there is some place I must go less than 1 hour away then I'll get going. Maybe it is easier if it has a purpose.

Get off your butt, Valentine, and go walk somewhere! :D

I totally agree with Shatbat and 1000Knives; you need a goal, a clear purpose, unless you simply love what you're doing anyway/already. ... It helps to have company if you don't know where you're going ( :lol I think this applies to a lot of things, may explain why so many people hang out in groups etc :) ) ... I'm grateful to have my son for walks which have no purpose other than walking for exercise. It means we can just set out along the nearest country lane without it feeling too pointless, which is lucky because there is simply nothing "functional" in our village, even the supermarket on the outskirts, which is more than 10-15 minutes away on foot, ie. no good aerobically if actually stop at the shop/whatever to do anything there. ... There's always "nice views" to head for, I suppose, but that doesn't seem enough on its own ...

Yesterday we had a day off, which is good because my knees, and upper arms, were pretty achey. Today we have just done 35 minutes of the new ( 70 minute ) Callanetics workout. :) Some serious "core" exercise in it. Ouch! :lol

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:47 pm

Shatbat wrote:

If you're forgetful like me, everytime I forget something I was supposed to buy when I was out on my weekly shop, I go walking to the corner store to get it. Retrieving necessary items and walk the dogs in one go, this ends up happening 3 or 4 times a week usually. :lol:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 4:17 pm

Going walking (supposedly) with boyfriend in a few minutes.
I haven't done any sort of exercise in nearly a week,
and I feel like absolute sh!t.
Never thought I'd say that,
but really-
I feel horrible.

to his Interest."

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm

I ran around the table for like 2 hours in total in both directions.

I hope my body isn't growing twisted now.

Yeah, this is my type of exercise, f**k going outside, f**k going to the gym.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

Heh, I feel your pain Kjas :lol:. Whenever I go to the supermarket without a list something like that is bound to happen. Now i always go to the supermarket with a list unless I forget to write one and then bring it, which isn't all that uncommon.

Sometimes I wonder if i should make a list about all the lists I must write. And now my mind is thinking about Russell's paradox :lol:

And hey Valentine, why do you think you haven't exercised for a week? Time? Willpower? Can't really say anything knowing so little :P

Now I'll occupy my mind with some set theory again~

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:52 am

Oh - I *do* write lists and I still forget crap. Aye aye aye, anybody care for a brain transplant? We'll swap. :lol:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:04 am

Kjas wrote:
Oh - I *do* write lists and I still forget crap. Aye aye aye, anybody care for a brain transplant? We'll swap. :lol:

I never write lists for the supermarket. For the most part, what I do, I go for either one item, or I go with a specific recipe in mind, and try to remember everything the recipe needs. Or if I have neither in mind and just need to get $20 worth of food for the week or something, I walk around the store back and forth, going from, say, frozen, to produce, and back and forth, comparing prices and figuring out what I'd like to make with the food. It can take me like an hour to spend $20 at the grocery store, just because I keep walking around so much "scanning" the entire store. My mom gets so mad at me at that, as she wants to get in and get out, whereas me before I buy anything, I usually always look through all the aisles of the store first, and then come back to items that catch my eye.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:32 am

I have my own crazyness too, To decide between similar products I divide the mass of either of them by their price, and choose the one with the highest value. Seems perfectly normal and logical for me, but I saw in psychology that people at large tend to pay too much attention to publicity, and what's placed where and "promotions" that aren't actual promotions (I've seen that happen when doing the math) it sure affects me too in some way, but just not as much.

And Kjas, do you have a list about the lists you have to make? :lol:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:46 am

Shatbat wrote:
I have my own crazyness too, To decide between similar products I divide the mass of either of them by their price, and choose the one with the highest value. Seems perfectly normal and logical for me, but I saw in psychology that people at large tend to pay too much attention to publicity, and what's placed where and "promotions" that aren't actual promotions (I've seen that happen when doing the math) it sure affects me too in some way, but just not as much.

And Kjas, do you have a list about the lists you have to make? :lol:

In USA most stores actually do that for you, they're required by law to post unit price with the price of the product.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:47 am

I hate supermarkets, so I write the list, and then am in , get the stuff as fast as possible, and get out. It takes me 20 minutes for a weeks shopping. I just grab and go, because I always know what i want and where it is. Did I mention I hate shopping? I *HATE* shopping! :lol:

:lol: Yeah Shat, I do. My alarm goes off at 10 then I sit down and organise my entire week from a list, into separate lists, program it into the PDA except for the shopping list.